Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Prices for a 2010-11 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011 | 02:33 PM
DLJ
Racer

Originally Posted by Richie18
It seems the price data as been covered. I will comment on the numerous posts telling you not to get a GT3, don't listen to them.

I received the same warning that a GT3 is not a weekend car. I highly disagree, i enjoy my GT3 everyday, not just the weekend. If i only drove it on the weekend i wouldn't mind if it was even louder and more raw.

1) The low front spoiler has never limited me front entering any entrance. Just have to enter at the right angle, and if it scrapes, no big deal, you can hardly notice it, and its designed to do so.
2) The suspension never feels too stiff, the cabin never too loud, just felt like some special. (i've taken it on 4 hour drives as well.) My significant other doesn't even complain about the stiffness.
3) I have Ceramic brakes and they almost never squeal
4) Stock tires can easily be replaced with something much more suited for street (MPSS as mentioned above), even with that said, i have the MPSC and i can say i have never not taken the car out due to weather, yet.
5) The heavy clutch can get bothersome in stop and go traffic, but you don't take a car out on the weekend to be stuck in traffic
6) the only downside i have is leaving the car in a public place, but that wouldn't matter if it were a GT3 or GTS.

It seems that unless you plan on tracking the car this board deems you unworthy of ownership and points you elsewhere. As if the GT3 was not designed to be driven on the street. May be they are that way because past GT3's were much more raw and not as street-able, but the 2010+ is a joy to drive everyday IMO.

There is no other car in Porsche's lineup that delivers the sensations of a GT3, if i chose a GTS per the recommendations here i'd be missing out on the 8,000 rpm sound track. While i plan on taking it to the track to enjoy 10/10ths of the car, i certainly have enjoyed the car thoroughly on the street.
I've accumulated about 3500 miles in 4 months time and they've all been fun, the only downside is that in a few months i'll have to put her away for winter hibernation.
+1 Very good points!
Old 09-11-2011 | 05:39 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KarmanGT
... I can't depart this world without at least entering one track event at some point.
With that one event you'll be hooked for life
Old 09-11-2011 | 07:03 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

I daily drive my gt3 and LOVE it.

I think a fair price for one is probably 90-105.

Happy hunting.
Old 09-11-2011 | 07:32 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Prices are in the low to mid 90s today. Anything over that is overpaid.

With front axle lift, PDEM, and Michelin Pilot Super Sports, it would be a nice street car for Mass. roads.

The Turbo is fast and uninspiring, the GT2 even faster still uninspiring. No other current Porsche sounds as good as a GT3 or GT3 RS at 8,000+ rpm.

Clutch is hard, brakes are a little noisy, suspension makes noises, it is all part of a great experience.

Test drive it.

I would also consider the new 2012 Carrera S, a car with 400Hp, more torque than a GT3, as light as a GT3, better chassis balance, and this new body style will stay current for at least 6 years.
Old 09-11-2011 | 08:11 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Although I agree with all the comments about stiff ride, heavy clutch, lots of noise from car, etc.... I don't think those things negate the ability to use/enjoy the car on the street. However, as has also been stated above, there is absolutely no way to truly experience a GT3 or what the car is capable of without getting it on the track. This forum has a selection bias, many of the members are track junkies. There are plenty of people out there who have these cars and never put them on a track (sad) so I say go for it and do yourself a favor by signing up for a track day.

As for price.... mid 90's for car in good condition but >10k miles, <5k miles will likely be in the 100-110k range depending on options.
Old 09-11-2011 | 08:41 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

This one is down in that good price range....plus it's got a sunroof, and none of those pesky wings

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Seriously, for a 997.2 GT3 to be had for mid to low 90's the seller is going to have to come off the asking price 10%. Do sellers move that much?
Old 09-11-2011 | 09:33 PM
911dev
Drifting

GT3 is a great street/weekend car. Had a .1 turbo and felt is was too soft. C2Ss are okay but they are no GT3. Yes, to truly appreciate a GT3 one needs to explore the track with it, but there is no reason someone can not enjoy a GT3, much more than any other 911 Porsche offers, even if driven only on the street.
Old 09-11-2011 | 09:46 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by kosmo
i've been looking at 10 GT3 prices for several months. On Avg they look to be in the low $100s (100-110k)

I was speaking to my salesman yesterday and he believes these will be in the $80's (retail) in about a year.

Highly unlikely, considering that the 991 GT/RS isn't due for another 24-30 months. Expect the GT3 price to start at $128-$130k and easily run $135K, imo, of course. So I don't see prices dropping near the level your sales guy said next year. I would expect current prices to flatten a bit until we see evidence of the next generation.

So, $80s for a .2 3, which means $60s for a .1 and $40s for a 996; ain't gonna happen in a year. Even when the new car arrives, the delta will be such as to help sustain decent residuals in the current crop of GT3s.

Last edited by 911dev; 09-11-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2011 | 10:50 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Nothing else still sounds as good. I will buy a set of electrostatics before I lose my hearing for good. Still, I can't bring myself to go back to tubes.

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i, think i'm part of the anomaly crowd as well, since i listen to electrostatics powered by valves, still use a street directory, and only got broadband last year.
Old 09-11-2011 | 11:12 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

tubes are the best. so creamy. like little fluffy clouds. i forgot to mention the analog front-end....

anyway, back on topic; turbo or carrera is a commuter car compared to gt3. it's not a cup car though, so it's totally feasible for the street, especially in 997 variants. i say go for it! you only live once. it's a car, not your wife.
Old 09-12-2011 | 01:09 AM
KarmanGT
Track Day

Thanks DLJ, sin911, eztrader, NJ-GT, tlarocque, paver, 911dev, Terry L, aussie jimmy!

Based on what I've read so far, are the PCCB more quieter than the steel rotors?...

Reality check: I have a difficult decision to make concerning ground clearance. I am going to do an experiment this week. I am going to velcro 4in plastic extensions under my BMW bumper and midway between the wheels to better determine where, how often, and how much it scrapes around town. If it scrapes in my own driveway, or familiar places, I think may have to go with a Turbo and be bored with an electric fan-like exhaust, soft ride, and staying under 6000rpm. - Yawn!

I'll share my findings after the 1 wk test period.
Old 09-12-2011 | 01:30 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

^ That is the reason I suggested the GTS. No turbo lag, over 400 hp and 7,400 RPM rev limiter

Test drive all of them and see for yourself
Old 09-12-2011 | 02:05 AM
jlr
Rennlist Member

How do the PCCB sound and feel compared to steel?...
- Should the PCCB have to be replaced (yikes $16k), do you recommend going with Brembo steel rotors for street use?...
Based on what I've read so far, are the PCCB more quieter than the steel rotors?...
I got mine with PCCBs, and found that the feel was soft until the massive bite -- the on/off feel people talk about. Also, I found them hard to modulate when scrubbing off lots of speed, and sometimes felt like I had to prime them before braking really hard. The stopping power felt incredible though. With street pads, no noise. Changed to Brembo Type IIIs, slotted, but there are cheaper alternatives. Love the Brembos, but they do squeal a bit. The noise is worse with track pads. The Brembos, to me, have a much more solid and consistent feel during a wider range of driving, but I think the same could probably be said of the OEM steels.
Old 09-13-2011 | 01:45 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

I got mine and can't get out of it. I drove a Carrera S, C4 S and ride like floaters. The .2 much more comfortable for dd.

Steel brakes have terrific feel, they squeal like pigs but I don't care. Suspension is firm but not harsh at all, and its get better as you go faster. Clutch is heavy but ok, you get in other cars and wonder if the pedal has no spring (E46 M3)

Front lift is a must as a dd. Noise is ok, a little on the loud side but not unbearable. Adaptive seats are great, very comfortable. Sound system is crappy, only for talk radio. Of course the true sound system is on the back, sports on (still have not experimented the SW fix, if is as good as everybody says, big time miss...)

Warning: after having the GT3, I can't drive anything else, the level of communication and feel is like nothing else. I started to use it a few days/week, now I barely drive anything else (although I worry about where to park it a lot). Still waiting for my fist track day

Rationally it was difficult to justify vs a GTS or other better "cruisers", but once you're driving it, you forget about everything else.

Test drive first, then...go for it !!!
Old 09-13-2011 | 09:30 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by sin911
^ That is the reason I suggested the GTS. No turbo lag, over 400 hp and 7,400 RPM rev limiter

Test drive all of them and see for yourself
No turbo lag or never ending lag ?

Quick Reply: Prices for a 2010-11 GT3