Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sport bucket "mod"

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:01 PM
karmx7
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sport bucket "mod"

I picked up some sport buckets a couple months ago from a gentleman that I met at a track event who was gutting the interior of a Cayman R for track duty. Got the seats installed and loved the lateral support they provided and liked the driving position (I tend to prefer a more upright seating position which these seem to afford). The only thing I didn't like about them was that they didn't seem to have as much lumbar support as I like but I figured it was a small compromise (plus they are pretty dang cool).

Unfortunately about a month ago when I apparently injured my back. I did a track event shortly after the injury and driving the car was painfull enough for me to consider putting the standard sport seats back in the car. The injury that I have is minor but it can make certain seating positions very painfull. What really helps is firm support in specific portions of my back. In thinking about this I recalled that the cushions on the sport buckets are removable and I wondered if I could add some padding behind the cushions to improve the lumbar support. Sure enough, it's about as easy as can be, I took a small hand towell, rolled it up and put it behind the cushion (probably 2 minutes worth of time....). The seat is now the most comfortable "chair" in the garage and in our house. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier but these now really fit me perfect. Amazing the difference such a minor thing can make.

Keith
Old 09-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear about your back but loved reading the remedy. It's amazing what a little ingenuity (idea) can produce and I'll certainly keep that one in mind
Old 09-06-2011, 03:09 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your back. Don't know the extent of your injury, but I will swear by this thing. I used it to rehab my lower back, and now I get on it every so often to relieve stress. Not affiliated with them. A very satisfied customer. Check with Costco. They carry it.

http://www.teeter-inversion.com/
Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I've used foam behind the upholstered part of Recaros for years. IIRC Recaro even made a little inflatable bladder to put in there. Great score on the Cayman R seats BTW!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:29 PM
karmx7
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the well wishes on the back remedies, I'm officially giving up volunteering to help with tree removal (the source of the injury). I'd like to try one of those inversion devices, I'd bet that works great.

Keith
Old 09-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

I am trying that tonight. Love the seats at the track, Instruments of torture on the road. Thanks for sharing the tip.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:57 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

+1 for the inversion table.
Also can recommend purchasing some memory foam and custom cut/fit for your seats. Have done this with my Carrera GT seats to add lumbar support.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Glock Guru
Instructor

Thanks for the info on the mod.

-Troy
Old 09-06-2011, 05:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by karmx7
I picked up some sport buckets a couple months ago from a gentleman that I met at a track event who was gutting the interior of a Cayman R for track duty.
Why can't I find a situation like this?? Someday....

Quick Reply: Sport bucket "mod"