Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is waterless washing safe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 01:28 PM
jwp98
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is waterless washing safe?

Some guy I hired washed my GT2 without water. Small town, limited options. It is GT silver. It looks OK. I can't believe it and think this might be a capital crime. Is this normal in the detailing industry? The car was not that clean to begin with.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:09 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i use griots waterless car wash when the weather is too cool for washing. as long as you douse the car with it and keep using fresh mf towels specially made for it then its as safe as regular wash except it takes 2x longer. silver is harder to tell if you have swirl marks though. might want to check in bright sunlight or fluorescents.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:09 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I would only use it to remove dust, etc.. Anything heavier than that and you're just going to be grinding the dirt and debris into the clear coat. It works, you just have to be okay with the resulting swirl marks.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:34 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I would only use it to remove dust, etc.. Anything heavier than that and you're just going to be grinding the dirt and debris into the clear coat. It works, you just have to be okay with the resulting swirl marks.
Not true; ONR (Optimum No Rinse) works with 1oz and 2 gal water in a bucket..no rinsing as advertised. Use it on my Guards Red Turbo and white GT3 with absolutely no swirling (both cars are PCA concur cars). A truly dirty car---mud, heavy dirt, etc--should be heavily rinsed first, of course. But in normal use it works perfectly. Note we are talking about No Rinse car wash products, not QD (Quick detailers).

As always, it's more about the user, and how said product is used vs. the product itself.

wsh
Old 09-03-2011, 07:38 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

IMHO, there's no substitute for a proper wash using soap, water, and wash mitt. As for various water-less wash products out there, I personally have yet to see a car without any swirls or scratches. The products itself contains lubricants, silicones, that will mask any light to moderate scratching. Best way to tell is wipe down the paint with IPA and see what it truly looks like.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:44 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
IMHO, there's no substitute for a proper wash using soap, water, and wash mitt. As for various water-less wash products out there, I personally have yet to see a car without any swirls or scratches. The products itself contains lubricants, silicones, that will mask any light to moderate scratching. Best way to tell is wipe down the paint with IPA and see what it truly looks like.
I've done an IPA wipedown on my Turbo after 3 ONR washes...and used my light stands...nothing. Again, this is a lightly dirty car, and I am the person doing the washing. I also thought ONR was complete BS but am a firm believer for a dusty/moderately dirty car.

wsh
Old 09-03-2011, 08:06 PM
jwp98
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for answers.

Water first from now on. Especially since I destroyed the clearcoat on a black GT3 last year.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:18 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Optimum no rinse is not waterless. I use it in the winters up here but I pre soak the car with a spray bottle first. Even that makes me uneasy unless the car is very clean to begin with.

Water, foam gun, traditional wash whenever I can
Old 09-03-2011, 08:23 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
I've done an IPA wipedown on my Turbo after 3 ONR washes...and used my light stands...nothing. Again, this is a lightly dirty car, and I am the person doing the washing. I also thought ONR was complete BS but am a firm believer for a dusty/moderately dirty car.

wsh
I'm glad it works for you. I'm using soap and water. Lots of soap and water. No reason not too unless you live in the Antarctic

I don't clean my car till it is very dirty. Basically it gets a bath quarterly. Whether it needs it or not. I prefer to do a very thorough rinse before putting any sort of pressure on the paint with a MF mitt or cloth.

Quick Reply: Is waterless washing safe?