A few laps on VIRs N Course

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
Fun vid - what tires are you on?

I'm not sure if gearing is much different on 997s vs 996s but second makes you shift as you're loaded up making your way to turn 2 - not the best place to have to shift. I'd also be a bit more aggressive through 5-5a and 17-17a - these cars have amazing grip through there.
Hi Alex I was running on some nice R6s. I haven't tried the As yet but hopefully later this year I'll have the opportunity to see how I do on those. It was raining off and on a bit that day so the track was a little oily and I wasn't pushing real hard.

Regarding 2nd gear into t1 that's what I was afraid of but sometime you have to be hard on a car (not smooth) to get the most and that might be one of those times. Are you in 3rd gear through 17?

T5 and 5a can really catch you unaware so I lack commitment for sure in that section but as the seat time goes up the right foot will go down.

Thanks for the tips
Old 09-06-2011, 03:46 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Thanks Mike and I've enjoyed your cup car adventures I can only imagine how fun it must be to track one of those rascals
Fritz, I am such a novice when it comes to the Cup it's not funny. I am lucky I have not wreck the car and it really needs a good coaching for newbies. Will do a detail "Cup experience" write up for all at end of year so you can avoid my many pit falls
Old 09-06-2011, 12:40 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fritz - come on down to Rezoom track day on 16th - I'll be there practicing before NASA weekend.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
Fritz - come on down to Rezoom track day on 16th - I'll be there practicing before NASA weekend.
I have one day left on the tires so that could be a good plan. I'll try to make it
Old 09-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikymu
Fritz, I am such a novice when it comes to the Cup it's not funny. I am lucky I have not wreck the car and it really needs a good coaching for newbies. Will do a detail "Cup experience" write up for all at end of year so you can avoid my many pit falls
I can't begin to imagine going from a street car to a cup with no other race car experience. I'll look forward to reading your write up which like your other contributions is sure to be a big help to the forum
Old 09-07-2011, 12:51 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,050 Likes on 575 Posts

I love VIR. I also think you should wear gloves- what's the use of that cup car wheel barehanded?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I love VIR. I also think you should wear gloves- what's the use of that cup car wheel barehanded?
Best track on east coast

How am I going to break that lovely suede in if I'm wearing gloves Seriously though Mark with OG hooked me up with a nice pair I just forget to put them on because I'm OCD ADD etc.... and I'm lucky I remember my helmet

Quick Reply: A few laps on VIRs N Course