Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Caution- GMG centerlock wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:20 PM
peer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Caution- GMG centerlock wheels!

I know the recent thread has been closed but I want to share my experience. Purchased their 19" CLs and GMG center exhaust, after one DE session the left rear was creaking and gauled the hub nipples, very similar to:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...nary-tale.html
sent wheel back to GMG who reported nothing was wrong and Fabryce wrote "perhaps user error" (I have had no problems with OE wheels or OZ cast wheels CL 19" fitment in 2 yrs and approx 25 track days)
The wheels were used total approx 1.5 hrs on track and the left rear needed retorquing after each use but still creaked each time.
It is a fact that several GMG customers have had with problems with these wheels. I just got an email from James at GMG who is not willing to take the wheels back for even a partial refund.
GMG, you have alot of work to do on customer service!
If anyone wants to buy them make me an offer but I would never recommend them for track use.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow!

nah, there's never a problem with GMG wheels. It's gotta be your car that's defective. hint, hint sarcasm.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:00 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

Honestly, the tone and response By Fabryce and James guarantees that I will never purchase anything from them. Absolutely speechless how they handled Martins situation. Congratulations, in 1 day you have completely shredded your reputation on this forum.

Absolute joke....
Old 09-01-2011, 07:26 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I was getting ready to purchase some GMG centerlocks....I guess I will pass.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't run their wheels, but was unhappy with the service I had recieved there a few years back. I definitely wasn't a priority to them...so I went to another shop to spend my tens of thousands of dollars to build a kick *** track car.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:44 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd hate to say I told you so but post 23.... https://rennlist.com/forums/8834856-post23.html

Sloppy work and lack of attention to detail equals a potential disaster for someone on track.... What retard paints surfaces crucial to maintaining tension of the caliber of CLs when paint melts away from the extreme temperatures genrated by brakes on the track...

If GMG are truely about customer service, maybe they will voluntarily recall these wheels and replace. Maybe the painter should foot the bill for stupidity rather than the purchaser with their life!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:45 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

WOW,

Can you say FULL refund for MARTIN D(among others)!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

For what it is worth I am running GMG monoblock

I bought my 2010 GT3 RS from Mooty on 4/2010

When the car was delivered I had ten days to get wheels with tires mounted before a day at Sebring. I called every wheel manufatcure I could find at the time and the only shop / company that would guarantee delivery was GMG. The wheels showed up carefully boxed and in pristine condition on time.

After 14 DE days I got sick of bringing spare tires to the track for mounting and decided to buy another set of track wheels. Without hesitation I bought another identical set.

I now have 25 DE days on my car in five months. I have been through multiple wheels changes. Both sets of my wheels fit perfect.

As far as my driving style I constanly hit curbs, jump rumbles ect......all rims are true and straight.

For what it is worth, I have enjoyed working with GMG. They have delivered everything I have bought on time and answered all questions as needed.

I will not hesitate to purchase form them again, if it is not right I am sure they will make it right.

There is always two sides to every story
Old 09-01-2011, 08:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

But aren't they discoloring a bit? Many do, but I remember them taking notes and pics of them. Will they refinish them? And they don't fit as well as my BBS...

Yes, 2 sides to the story, but their response today did not impress me or others..
Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
2 sides to the story, but their response today did not impress me or others..
Exactly. The fact pattern has been disturbing, but it's GMG's OWN RESPONSE that's most appalling.

I don't care what a vendor races or gizmos it sells; there is no place for attitude in a service business.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 PM
hrm
n/a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to post in the last thread but it was closed.

For full disclosure and those who don't know... member SPEEDGT3 = James Sofronas Brother
Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

[QUOTE=TRAKCAR;8836788]And they don't fit as well as my BBS...QUOTE]

Mine havn't bent yet

When Rodger was looking at my GMG he was impressed

[QUOTE=TRAKCAR;8836788]But aren't they discoloring a bit? Many do, but I remember them taking notes and pics of them. Will they refinish them? QUOTE]

I am not sure if it is brake dust or what, too lazy to clean them. James has contacted me twice to take pictures of the finish. I just havnt had time
Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Izzone, were your wheels painted where the bolt sits against it and where the wheel seats on the brake hat? If I recall correctly, with early batches shown here, these areas were bare metal and had no issue... They batches most recently like those bought by these guys were painted presumably because someone couldn't be jacked taping these areas up. Its the melting paint that created numerous headaches for many including the OP of the thread linked above...
Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911rox
Izzone, were your wheels painted where the bolt sits against it and where the wheel seats on the brake hat? If I recall correctly, with early batches shown here, these areas were bare metal and had no issue... They batches most recently like those bought by these guys were painted presumably because someone couldn't be jacked taping these areas up. Its the melting paint that created numerous headaches for many including the OP of the thread linked above...
No they were not
Old 09-01-2011, 08:54 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by hrm
I tried to post in the last thread but it was closed.

For full disclosure and those who don't know... member SPEEDGT3 = James Sofronas Brother
HAHA

Well the attitude certainly matches(James Sofronas'), what with the checkmate picture and all posted by SpeedGT3.

Note: SpeedGT3 posted a checkmate picture in his reply to The Greek's post, apparently to symbolize that SpeedGT3 won the arguement.

Quick Reply: Caution- GMG centerlock wheels!