Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Silent on legal advice..
Old 08-17-2011, 02:56 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Kind of annoyed by the CL Blind lovers rhetoric....

I havent seen one person say "CL's are amazing! Screw lugs, Porsche is God". All we CL people ever say is it isnt as bad as people perceive it to be. This thread is meant to get to the bottom of the problem, and help other enthusiasts out. Plain and simple....

Now back to the topic, I wonder if the lack of applied grease had any effects on the issue. Totally agree DE organizers need to take pre-spec more seriously with CL owners. If anything, it will educate non-informed drivers of the issue.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:58 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
...and where is the OP?
Perhaps he has been "bagged" and "gagged" by Porsche AG? Maybe they promised that if they fix his car completely under warranty and he says nothing further on the subject, then he will "kept" in CL wheels and hardware for life.

In a thick German accent, "If you don't you vill be shot!"

Doug N.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Kind of annoyed by the CL Blind lovers rhetoric....

I havent seen one person say "CL's are amazing! Screw lugs, Porsche is God". All we CL people ever say is it isnt as bad as people perceive it to be. This thread is meant to get to the bottom of the problem, and help other enthusiasts out. Plain and simple....

Now back to the topic, I wonder if the lack of applied grease had any effects on the issue. Totally agree DE organizers need to take pre-spec more seriously with CL owners. If anything, it will educate non-informed drivers of the issue.
CL's (on Cup cars) are amazing! How's that?
Old 08-17-2011, 03:06 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Greek
.....I havent seen one person say "CL's are amazing! Screw lugs, Porsche is God".
How about: "CL's are crap! I want 5 lugs, what the Hell was Porsche thinking?"

Doug N.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:23 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Doug, i'll accept that. : )
Old 08-17-2011, 03:53 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is terrifying with the speeds we carry and other cars on the track...I'm really glad the OP is ok.

Just to make sure I'm not missing something important, is this the proper procedure for the wheels?
1. unweight the wheel (car off the ground)
2. break CL nut free and remove wheel
3. grease the CL nut as described in the TSB
4. replace wheel on hub
5. check the spline (lock) is not stuck in the inner most position and can move freely (this is fuzzy to me, please confirm)
6. tighten CL nut by hand or hand tool until tight
7. with the car still off the ground, torque the car to the appropriate spec (444 ft/lbs)
8. back off the CL nut by roughly 1/4 turn
9. re-torque the CL nut to the appropriate spec (444 ft/lbs)
10. re-weight the wheel by bringing the car back to the ground

Did I miss anything?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:33 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Hi Brim,

Clarification on #5: You should be able to poke the locking mechanism with your finger, it should freely move with its spring loaded action in and out (in the axle orientation). Also, you can reach in and just slide it out, it just sits perfectly in the hub.

Also, add #11: Put the locking pin in the "lock" position, this is, flush with the inner toothing of the CL nut - see step 15 in the new supplement for CL wheels.

Cheers and good luck all!
Doug N.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Here's the link to the GT3 Owners Manual.

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...l_GT3_PCNA.pdf

You can find this text on page 4

"Your vehicle warranty does not cover use in competition, racing or track use or other events. Components and/or parts that fail during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) will not be covered by the manufacturer new car limited warranty or the pre-owned vehicle warranty."

Originally Posted by drdrank
Can you link me or paste the text where it says Porsche will not warranty a car that has been on a track? Thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 06:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Same BBS here, no issues.

Anything leading up to faillure? Vibration? You sure it was "locked"? My left rear has become hard to "lock" get the lock to pop out, the other 3 are easy.
I hope that it is OK that I shared this on a couple of other forums to see if you are indeed the first to have the displeasure of losing one..
OP, please let us know.. Critical

Originally Posted by CRex
Woa... sorry this happened to you. What were your torque specs leading up to this incident? When was the last time you checked the torque, and was the security lock properly "popped"?
OP, please let us know.. Critical.

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
WOW. It appears that the entire thread housing sheared off! I am not familiar with this having occurred in the past.
Had you had the car in to the dealer for the recall?
Please keep us up to date on your experience with this one.
OP, please let us know.. Critical.

Originally Posted by rlips
I am sick looking at this picture. Warranty from PNA? For a tracked car? Ha! Never happen.

Funny how all the product literature shows the car on a track, but the warranty specifically excludes track use of any kind.

I still stick by my assertion that the C/L on this car are poorly executed and should never have been put on a street car.

Please report this to the NHTSA, I will be suprised if we don't see many more failures as these cars start to rack up miles. Basically, we are all beta testers for this poorly thought out bit of marketing fluff.

AP, are you still reading these forums????????
Well, we have been over the track voids warranty issue and yes, to a point it is misleading advertisement. But fact is no other cars stays together on track like a GT3 driven hard and often.
I must say that they fix everything that does not have to do with track abuse, like overrevs, suspension, tires, brakes and maybe give you a hard time with things that you could concider consumables like clutches and pressure plates.

But you must leave the car stock. It does depend on the dealer, but still after 3 years and 80 track days, I have been treaded fairly by Porsche.

Originally Posted by DJN
I am not liking this one bit, however I am happy to hear you are ok and the car did not have any other damage after the incident.

Hmmmm......looks like metal fatigue in the hub thread area (as they are gone!!!).......this can't be good.......overtorquing?.......Or more likely the aluminum CL hubs may not be standing up to the new (significantly higher!) torque spec of 444ft.lb (600 N.m). GT3DE: Did you find the CL nut?

I'm sure PCNA will dig into it, they don't have much choice on this one.

Keep us informed.

Best Regards,
Doug N.
OP please this is critical stuff to know. I'll be the first to admit I have overtorqued my wheels as I forget leftly losey and righty tighty after 3 beers. or 13.

Originally Posted by savyboy
Good eye! It sure did. Yowsers. Super curious to hear how this turns out.

**I have no idea what happened here nor cast any aspersions on the OP** however I have seen some dreadful centerlock remove/install practices, the system requires specific procedures and most folks don't have a clue or could give a crap to learn.

At Laguna in the garages last year I saw a supposedly reputable tech removing and installing these with an air wrench, no torque wrench after, and the splines not engaged when done I tried gently to explain the procedure to a blank hostile stare and walked away in disgust.
+1!! Seen it done by arrive and drive low level (professionals). I actually ask every driver I see to make sure the know they need to be locked. if not we pry the caps off.

Originally Posted by Izzone
I woudl say at least half the cars I see on the track have the locks not engaged

I used to bring it up to people, but one time I did and the guy snapped at me and told me I didnt know what I was talking about.....oh well
+1!! They read right over it or something?! My left rear is a PITA to get locked, but all looks OK. Will get Champion to check that one out when I bring it in for new CL nuts.

I have never checked/re-torqued after initial install of the CL. And have never had a problem across 80 track days now. Not necessary in my experience. As hard as these can be to break loose after a track weekend, I would be terrified of torqueing them even more when hot at the track for fear I would never get them loose again.
Originally Posted by Izzone
+1

Mine seem to be harder to untorque after a track day
Me either. never checked and always plenty hard to loosen. For street use I only go 500NM still and make sure they are locked.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
From a common sense standpoint I'm going to throw a few topics, and I expect yelling and crying from the CL-blind-lovers.

1) Aluminum flexes with changes on temperature and even more if there is a mass of 50+ lbs tighten to 500 ft-lbs or whatever the magical 6ft long torque wrench put on those CL wheels, and such mass generating up to 2g of lateral force.

2) if the locks are not properly placed, chances for the nut to start rotating are there.

3) It's truth the GT3 generates less than 300 ft-lbs of torque at the rear axle, but that's on acceleration, during braking it generates much more than 500 ft-lbs of torque in opposite direction. If these CL nuts all get tighten clock-wise, that means that during braking the driver's side nuts would tend to get loose as they are getting a force from the wheel/nut combined working counter-clockwise against the hub and rotor. I hope the are tighten clockwise on the right and counter-clockwise on the left side.

By looking at the picture I would say the CL nut got loose, and the red pin (they avoid complete 360 turn of the wheel over the hubs) took care of destroying the wheel and the 5mm thick PCCB center bells.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
I don't follow. Locked is locked. They don't go anywhere unless something is breaking or broken?! My little red pins look like new and identical left and right after 40 track days.

Originally Posted by peer
I think you have the answer. I do check spine engagement and torque before and after each session and the left rear has consistently required more degrees of turn to target torque than right rear. Also degree is greater with R6s v R888 which also supports your theory. Marring of nipples on the left rear also greater than right. The fronts do no loosen at all.
I don't check, but it seems that left and right need same torque to undo on my car...

Originally Posted by 911rox
GT3DE, just a couple questions if I may...

Had you had the CL recall done? Did they identify any issues with the hubs at all?

Also, with swapping over wheels, did you follow the whole car off the ground, grease, torque and retorque procedure?

Just trying to understand what contributing factors there may be. We know that the setup is less than ideal but if the metalurgy and components aren't up to the task, we all in deep ****... I'll be making sure to be shown the wear on my rear hubs when it goes in next week so I know what to look for moving fwd...

Sorry this happened to you and I hope they at least step up and sort out the car if not the wheel... One BBS centre aint going to cost all that much in any case....

Ps. If they try to deny on the basis of aftermarket wheels, remind them what wheels their RS used last year in the 24 hr NBG enduro...
+1!! I have the same wheels as OP, and follow procedures exactly since the came out with them (600NM and retorque off the ground.)

Originally Posted by ADias
This may very well be operator error, but the procedure is overly complex and prone to problems as many will fail to execute it properly. We've all seen CL failures in racing, including F1. The question is - what's wrong with five bolts, properly torqued? something anyone can do in their sleep. Why fix what's not broken?
I had to go to studs and they came lose/broke as well on my MKI GT3. So far this looked like a better untill now...

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I think there is a lot of aggression directed towards Porsche for not paying up for the repairs before they even responded to this issue (talking about lawyers and the such ...) . I propose we refrain from Porsche bashing until they make a statement about this.

The problem is we have a lot of unknowns on our hands here. The wheel might have been torqued correctly and the entire thing just broke. In that case we do have a problem. Or there was a problem with one of the parts, or the torque-ing wasn't properly done and the entire thing came loose. The damage we see could be caused by the wheel falling of and breaking things on its way out. It does not mean that it broke loose and then fell off.

I guess we need to wait on the results of the investigation.
+1 Let's give it some time. In the meanwhile I will get my nuts replaced, hubs, nubbies and locks checked by the dealer, but with my "eyes only" inspection, all looks fine. This happened to 2 cars now that I know of (6speed poser claims the same). If there are more they will come forward, but I think we would have known of it already. Let's wait for PNA and OP responses.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Well, you just answered my question. The nuts get tighten clockwise at all corners, and that is a problem.

Rear tires and wheels are much heavier than front ones, keep in mind that it is the rotor and hub wanting to stop, while the wheel/tire want to keep running (inertia), hence the torque in deceleration that exceeds the torque in acceleration. If this torque value gets high enough, it would be the same as getting the Incredible Hulk and ask him to rotate you driver's side rear wheel while the car is on the air and the handbrake fully applied, wheel and CL nut will come off.

However, Porsche has a lock for the CL system. But I wonder, if a torque value high enough just breaks that lock, and then it is just a matter of time for that right side wheel to come off.

Testing is easy, but some parts need to be sacrificed:

1) How much torque has to be applied to actually break the lock mechanism (damage it)
2) Calculate the torque the car is generating on deceleration. Using the braking distance and times, and the car's weight with driver this can be calculated.

If 1 and 2 are close in value, that's your answer.

During acceleration the passenger's side would be the problem, but the car barely makes 270 ft-lbs of torque to the wheels, not even close to the torque that has been applied to the CL nut when tightened.

During braking the driver's side would experience massive deceleration torque, and the more grip the tires have, the worse the problem would be.

The driver's side should be tighten counter-clockwise.

However, there are too many CL-blind-lovers so I rest my case. I'm a happy 5 Titanium lug bolts guy, so as long as these lovers don't wreck me at a track day, things would be just fine.
That is a good point; I usually reason; What's good for a cup car is good for my car, so why not duplicate the system? Your test makes sence, but I like to think that with all the laps we have done in the last 2 years on CL, more would have failed if they are not up to the torque put on these locks..

I am looking at that photo again and see one side of the splines are sheared off while the other side is not. The only way I can imagine this happening is to speculate the threaded portion of the hub failed (broke away from hub) and rotated the CL nut on the splines as the wheel angled away (off vertical) from the hat.

The chunk of metal missing from the top side of the center of the hub would be from when the outer threaded part let go, and the wheel cocked on the internal CL spline mechanism, breaking off the chunk, which supports my theory. All the other damage would have been subsequent to that happening (progression of events).

Finding the threaded part of hub and CL would be key to conducting a metallurgical analysis of the shear point of the hub to see if that is what happened.
Ding, ding, ding!!! I looked at it the same way. Need to find the CL
Why are the splines sheared off while the other side is not?? I agree that the only way I can imagine this happening is to speculate the threaded portion of the hub failed (broke away from hub) and rotated the CL nut on the splines as the wheel angled away (off vertical) from the hat. And that to me is the big questions. Why did that fail?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

After looking at the pictures I'm not so sure that the failure came initially from the CL nut assembly, but rather was an initial failure of one, then more of the 5 red anodized pins held in by 10 mm bolts because the splines of the hub assembly seem to be intact. If even one of the pins failed due to improper tightening or failure to fully release and engage the locking mechanism, then it would create additional shear to the remaining pins and manifest itself in further destruction of the hub housing and wheel as evidenced in the pictures. The 5 red anodized pins would seem to keep the wheel from spinning on the hub rather than simply being there for alignment purposes. It could be the weak link that led to catastrophic failure. The wheel is mangled so it took a hit on the 5 pins. I never had a problem with my CL's on my GT3 but admit to a bit of a warm fuzzy with the tried and true 5 lugs on my new GTS. Wouldn't keep me from another CL wheel though.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:03 PM
bkcarrera
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2010 is at the dealer right now on the recall.
They had to order one hub as well.
Has your car been in for new center locks???
Old 08-17-2011, 08:22 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bkcarrera
My 2010 is at the dealer right now on the recall.
They had to order one hub as well.
Has your car been in for new center locks???
so, you're unofficially: Center Lock Failure #4, out of a small community that doesn't account for the total of 1,000 or so GT3/GT2/RS with CL systems, for which a small group are used a track day cars intensively.

I would like to see the pictures from "Carrera GT" back side of the wheels from his GT3 RS 3.8.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:48 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KBS911
After looking at the pictures I'm not so sure that the failure came initially from the CL nut assembly, but rather was an initial failure of one, then more of the 5 red anodized pins held in by 10 mm bolts because the splines of the hub assembly seem to be intact. If even one of the pins failed due to improper tightening or failure to fully release and engage the locking mechanism, then it would create additional shear to the remaining pins and manifest itself in further destruction of the hub housing and wheel as evidenced in the pictures.
No way. Either none or all drive pins fail at same time. I just can't picture that. And it does not explain the threaded portion of the hub being broken off. Nor only half the splines being sheared.

If the pins sheared first the wheel would simply freely rotate on the hat/hub, it would not have broken the outer part of the hub off. Think about it.

No offense and appreciate the post, but above explanation doesn't seem possible

Quick Reply: Centerlock failure