Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Centerlock failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 01:25 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

By the way PCNA, that's a road in my avatar.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:41 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

WOW!!! Many many people are going to be watching this one.....

Good to hear you are ok, cars are repairable, bodies, not so much...
Old 08-16-2011, 01:49 PM
rlips
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Funny how they tell you what to do on the track, but then state they won't cover any failure on it - I'm sure you could fight them in court and win though, but what a hassle."

My thoughts as well. Look at the web site, all the marketing literature. All the references to Race Track. While Porsche may be clear in the owners manual, they are implying, mulitple times and multiple places, that the car is indeed desgined to be used on a race track.

The issue, of course, is that they will fight you very hard, and out spend you on legal. It's all just a calculation on their part, they don't really care; just numbers.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:56 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be fair to Porsche, my dealer has warrantied my car even though they know full-well that I track it. I had it in this past week for an oil leak warranty repair and we were talking about my next track day, etc. I'm not sure how they'd respond with a large repair like the one the OP is facing, but it's not black or white.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:29 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 378 Posts

OP, very sorry to hear this and as others have stated - very glad you are ok.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:37 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
OP, very sorry to hear this and as others have stated - very glad you are ok.
Very common failure on cup cars... Happened to me twice...
JM
Old 08-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Jean-Marc,

What year Cup Car(s)? What was the cause of your two failures? Did they look just like this? Did you do (or were you advised) to do anything different to avoid the problem?

Rob
Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 378 Posts

Quick questions for the track rats. This weekend I did my first track day and noticed two things with the CL's: 1. the red hub nubs had a few scratches/gouges; safe to assume that's just from aligning the wheels?; 2. after each session, i re-torqued all 4 wheels after they cooled down. After each session, both rear wheels required maybe 20 degrees tightening to the 444ft/lb spec. Normal?

Sorry to hijack.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad op is ok. people have to be very diligent with their centrelocks.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
WOW. It appears that the entire thread housing sheared off!
Good eye! It sure did. Yowsers. Super curious to hear how this turns out.

**I have no idea what happened here nor cast any aspersions on the OP** however I have seen some dreadful centerlock remove/install practices, the system requires specific procedures and most folks don't have a clue or could give a crap to learn.

At Laguna in the garages last year I saw a supposedly reputable tech removing and installing these with an air wrench, no torque wrench after, and the splines not engaged when done I tried gently to explain the procedure to a blank hostile stare and walked away in disgust.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I woudl say at least half the cars I see on the track have the locks not engaged

I used to bring it up to people, but one time I did and the guy snapped at me and told me I didnt know what I was talking about.....oh well
Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

perhaps this is why grand-am cup require lugs.... but seriously though, i think it is something you really need to inspect more so then 5 lugs application inspections.

I can see porsche claiming that the wheels where after market or the center lock was not properly installed......

they definately will not warranty the bbs wheel.

this is why chevrolet stopped producing knock-off application corvette wheels in 1965. Too many lawsuits from 1963 and 1964 of shops not installing them properly.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:54 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
Very common failure on cup cars... Happened to me twice...
JM
You mean the cars that sometimes do timed pit stops, the ones with the completely different CL system, the ones that changes are made with only a power tool, the ones with the multi point cages, 6p belts and Hans, the cars that are actually designed for racing?

How is a cup car CL failure, relevant with this marketing derived and apparently badly designed gizmo found on a street car?

Anyway, if this turns out to be a mistake in the procedure by the OP or his shop, in a car not cleared by the recall, then there is nothing to see here just an isolated incident and a reminder for the rest of us.

If not, then this is a completely different story..
Old 08-16-2011, 09:59 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Quick questions for the track rats. This weekend I did my first track day and noticed two things with the CL's: 1. the red hub nubs had a few scratches/gouges; safe to assume that's just from aligning the wheels?; 2. after each session, i re-torqued all 4 wheels after they cooled down. After each session, both rear wheels required maybe 20 degrees tightening to the 444ft/lb spec. Normal?

Sorry to hijack.
I have never checked/re-torqued after initial install of the CL. And have never had a problem across 80 track days now. Not necessary in my experience. As hard as these can be to break loose after a track weekend, I would be terrified of torqueing them even more when hot at the track for fear I would never get them loose again.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I have never checked/re-torqued after initial install of the CL. And have never had a problem across 80 track days now. Not necessary in my experience. As hard as these can be to break loose after a track weekend, I would be terrified of torqueing them even more when hot at the track for fear I would never get them loose again.
+1

Mine seem to be harder to untorque after a track day

Quick Reply: Centerlock failure