Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Centerlock failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:13 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, the reason those dust caps are so difficult to get off is because they are dust and water tight (rubber o-ringed) unlike previous ones that had holes in them to allow you to use tools to remove them... They should be left on to protect that spring loaded secondary lock from dust, dirt and water which could affect its ability to spring freely... This may be the problem with your rears. Not 100% sure but IIRC they have a circlip that allows you to open them up... It may be an idea to check one to make sure it doesn't have dirt and dust in it affecting the mechanism from springing properly... Definitely leave the caps on IMO...

I have two sets, a good set for street and a second set that is scratched, creased etc for track... Obviously I take a little less care when in a hurry and use that same set for track trashing....
Old 01-02-2012, 12:31 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

I have been tracking without mine but recognize it is probably brter to use them. Most guys I see at the track run with them off. It seems someone posted here about losing one on the track.

Thx for the advic about regreasing. That is about what I have been doing - taking apart the bolt/ring every several wheel removals, otherwise just doing conical surface, thread etc
Old 01-02-2012, 01:01 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks for the update Clark. See you in Sebring one day!
Sly & I are driving the rig/cars down next week for PBOC Winterfest.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:11 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
I hadn't been doing this except for my last DE a few weeks ago. I hardly see anyone using the dust caps at my DE's.
Fighting to not post an ugly reply. How _____ do you have to be to leave a precision mechanism open to the grit dirt and moisture? Seriously? (not a personal attack Mike, but general comment to anyone who would not replace those caps). I frequently see cars at the track missing the caps as well.

Originally Posted by 911rox
Yep, the reason those dust caps are so difficult to get off is because they are dust and water tight (rubber o-ringed) unlike previous ones that had holes in them to allow you to use tools to remove them... They should be left on to protect that spring loaded secondary lock from dust, dirt and water which could affect its ability to spring freely... This may be the problem with your rears. Not 100% sure but IIRC they have a circlip that allows you to open them up... It may be an idea to check one to make sure it doesn't have dirt and dust in it affecting the mechanism from springing properly... Definitely leave the caps on IMO...

I have two sets, a good set for street and a second set that is scratched, creased etc for track... Obviously I take a little less care when in a hurry and use that same set for track trashing....
Fine Australian common sense on full display. Thank you Chris...

Come on guys, why beg for trouble?

And the hot tip to easily remove those dust caps is...apply a tiny bit of grease or silicone spray to the o-rings. Then they are easily removed, yet stay on with no worries.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:01 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 221 Posts

Agree.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 294 Likes on 148 Posts

For what it is worth I have 5,000 track miles without the dust caps, they are a PITA

I just bang the bolt apart and clean after......YMMV
Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

1) I have noticed this spines getting stuck as well and know several others who have had the same. Note, I always run with the dust caps on so that is not the cause.

2) Attached is the supplement sent by Porsche after the center lock recall. It says in step 10 below to grease the conical portion B on the hub (I know the inside threads should be greased but this seems to say the outside). Am I misreading this? It doesn't make any sense to grease the outside.
Attached Images   
Old 01-02-2012, 10:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,874 Likes on 2,404 Posts

^ a TSB posted by savyboy shows that both the conical surface and the thread inside need to be grease (see post #214 of this thread).
Old 01-03-2012, 01:36 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnr265
1) I have noticed this spines getting stuck as well and know several others who have had the same. Note, I always run with the dust caps on so that is not the cause.

2) Attached is the supplement sent by Porsche after the center lock recall. It says in step 10 below to grease the conical portion B on the hub (I know the inside threads should be greased but this seems to say the outside). Am I misreading this? It doesn't make any sense to grease the outside.
I don't get it either. Step 10 definitely seems to suggest greasing the outer portion of the hub - ???

Do you have a pdf or link to that section of the tsb?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,874 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
I don't get it either. Step 10 definitely seems to suggest greasing the outer portion of the hub - ???

Do you have a pdf or link to that section of the tsb?
post 214
Old 01-03-2012, 07:59 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

16 pages of **** discussing centerlocks. TSB's, personal experience, breaker bars, car on a lift, $400 torque wrenches, discussion on dust caps... The list goes on and on

Can anyone imagine 16 pages of discussion on 5 freaking lug nuts?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:33 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
16 pages of **** discussing centerlocks. TSB's, personal experience, breaker bars, car on a lift, $400 torque wrenches, discussion on dust caps... The list goes on and on

Can anyone imagine 16 pages of discussion on 5 freaking lug nuts?

......I told them so!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

I use the caps only on the street, they pop off when you go to the track.
It seems to be no problem if you (have Orbit) look after the mechanism and regrease everything when changing the wheels to go to the track.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:15 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
post 214
seen it, still confused.

post 214 contains 2 pages from the tsb addressing how and where to grease the central bolt and cone ring thingy. this is what i have been following so far in my CL experience.

the "supplement" posted above gives some additional info, including what looks like greasing the outer portion of the hub that comes into contact with....nothing. i will continue NOT greasing this area unless someone here tells me otherwise.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:18 AM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Those pages were sent by Porsche directly to owners at the time of the recall as a supplement to the owners manual. Generally I have been following the TSB which did not show lubing that surface too. Perhaps it's a typo?

Quick Reply: Centerlock failure