Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Centerlock failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 09:40 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterfirst
So car was booked in again at my PC (they are by the way experienced with track work, since they are the official support team for the Sports Cup in Germany – the PC is known as having formerly been Max-Moritz team).
Which Porsche Zentrum is this?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2011, 02:45 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lost a wheel during tourist driving at Nurburgring Nordschlife with my 997 GT3 MkII. The car had 14000 km with no mechanical issues. I had old center locks (recall was not done).

Old 12-24-2011, 03:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Scary ride!
Glad you and your passenger are OK.

When did this happen?
So why did it fail? Did Porsche cover the damage?
Old 12-24-2011, 04:23 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Scary ride!
Glad you and your passenger are OK.

When did this happen?
So why did it fail? Did Porsche cover the damage?
It happened this summer. Porsche did not cover the damage, because recall was not done. I got recall letter two weeks before accident, but had no chance to visit Porsche dealer to replace CL.

But it was hub, not center lock failure! If I'm not mistaken, then you do a recall they do not replace hubs. I have no idea why it failed. May be 600 N.m was too much torque for old CL
Old 12-24-2011, 05:11 PM
JTquint
Track Day

OMG....!! Looks like the brunt of the energy was dissipated in the straight spin out..., I don't think that you would have walked away if it had happened while hard cornering.., You got lucky after all.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:46 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by krisa9977
It happened this summer. Porsche did not cover the damage, because recall was not done. I got recall letter two weeks before accident, but had no chance to visit Porsche dealer to replace CL.

But it was hub, not center lock failure! If I'm not mistaken, then you do a recall they do not replace hubs. I have no idea why it failed. May be 600 N.m was too much torque for old CL
Sorry to see this happen to you but glad you guys are okay!!!

The likely reason for the failure was wear on your hubs as you likely had and ran the car at 500Nm before they advised to tighten to 600Nm for track use. As part of the recall, Porsche dealers were required to inspect the hubs for signs of wear and to replace.

My car was an 02/10 build and the first TSB to increase torque was late in 2010. I had done at least a couple of trackdays at 500Nm by this point... When I took the car in for the recall to be done, the dealer stated there were signs of wear on the rear hubs and they were replaced.

Regretfully you were probably in a similar situation where you'd used your car at the lesser torque in the early stages of ownership. Its a shame they didn't get you sooner as they would hopefully seen it and replaced them prior to the failure.

Hopefully its as good as new now in any case...
Old 12-24-2011, 05:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

The last 2 times I went to remove my rear wheels I'm finding the locking part that is on the spring is stuck and will not push in. I have to take a 1/2" drive extension and pop it in with a punch of my hand. Then when I go to back off the center lock it does not feel as tight as I originally torque it.

Any ideas????
Old 12-24-2011, 06:23 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
The last 2 times I went to remove my rear wheels I'm finding the locking part that is on the spring is stuck and will not push in. I have to take a 1/2" drive extension and pop it in with a punch of my hand. Then when I go to back off the center lock it does not feel as tight as I originally torque it.

Any ideas????
Mike,

Sounds like your centrelocks are backing off a tad and locking against those locking pins... To be honest, never happens to me even after the recall but some guys have mentioned it previously...

Make sure the mounting surface on your wheels is always clean where it would rest against the rotor hat and always put a light smear of optimoly grease on the centrelock seating surface of your wheel before torquing to ensure that the full torque applied goes towards tightening rather than overcoming friction. I also pull those locking mechanisms out and put a light smear on the threads that the centrelocks engage... Whenever I try to take wheels off, those pins move freely and the wheel is tighter, that is, harder to get off...

Maybe get your torque wrench checked and calibrated to ensure it is torquing to the specified torque...

Hope this helps...
Old 12-24-2011, 08:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

WOW, I would make someone pay if it happens to me. Perhaps in blood instead of cash....

Any ideas????
My left rear is bad like that. I told Champion, they took it all apart and greased it and checked it but even after the recall I have to hammer in the Motorsports locking tool to get it unlocked.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:38 AM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

@ Krisa9977: Happy to hear you are ok. Could have been much worse. What happened to the driver's door ?
Did the safety marshals cut it open, or did the armco go inside ?
Old 12-25-2011, 07:21 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Q&A
@ Krisa9977: Happy to hear you are ok. Could have been much worse. What happened to the driver's door ?
Did the safety marshals cut it open, or did the armco go inside ?
I don't think thats panel, its probably a deployed side impact airbag hanging out the window...
Old 12-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Mdrums

Like 911rox said, a coating of grease is critical for each torque cycle

The only time I have had this problem is if I forget to grease....the wheel doesnt take all the torque

Also apply all torque in air
Old 12-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I've seen failures here and when the hub fails it is usually blamed on over torquing the wheels ...
Old 12-25-2011, 12:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Mdrums

Like 911rox said, a coating of grease is critical for each torque cycle

The only time I have had this problem is if I forget to grease....the wheel doesnt take all the torque

Also apply all torque in air
I only torque in the air and put grease on the CL nut too...maybe I'll grease wheel part too.

You guys know anywhere to get my torque wrench checked in Florida?
Old 12-25-2011, 01:23 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a steel rotor in combo with a PCCB caliper. So the car was molested after it left the factory. I feel quite confident in believing that whoever re-installed the wheel didn't follow procedure. After many remove/installs my CL nuts and hubs look pristine. I continue to see incorrect CL installation trackside.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Centerlock failure