Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

countourHD, gopro, or old fashion camcorder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:15 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default countourHD, gopro, or old fashion camcorder?

So, which of these mini cameras is best in terms of image quality and stabilization? I saw a couple of the gopro vids and it seems like a lot of image shakiness. Might get a headache after a while.

I also have a 3 year old canon miniDV camcorder I that I don't use and will never use. I think it does have image stabilization. It's obviously a lot bigger that the gopro. Should I find a mount to try and resurrect the old fashion camera?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:20 PM
997 tt/rs
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
So, which of these mini cameras is best in terms of image quality and stabilization? I saw a couple of the gopro vids and it seems like a lot of image shakiness. Might get a headache after a while.

I also have a 3 year old canon miniDV camcorder I that I don't use and will never use. I think it does have image stabilization. It's obviously a lot bigger that the gopro. Should I find a mount to try and resurrect the old fashion camera?

take go pro, here is sample of mine

Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got both Contour cameras and GoPro cameras. I much prefer the Countour cameras. They've been more durable in my experience, and they're a lot easier to operate (can turn them on and off while wearing your gloves, etc). The Contour software and firmware seems to be the first with the newest gadgetry, too.

The most important thing to look for is light weight, which both the Contour and GoPro have over any older miniDV camera. The lighter the camera, the less jitter you've got to stabilize and the more options you have for mounting. It's impossible to overstate how important light weight is to the final image quality.

Close behind weight is the ability to do 60fps, which both the Contour and GoPro cameras can do (HD flavors). 60fps yields much better track videos than a 30fps capture, even if your ultimate destination is youtube/vimeo.

I've got a handful of videos up at youtoob: http://www.youtube.com/user/MacNugget
Old 08-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,603 Likes on 2,342 Posts

I like the GoPro HD
Old 08-01-2011, 05:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I use the GoPro HD
Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

What about the new Replay XD HD? I just ordered one. I had heard decent things about the regular Replay so I figured the HD (which can do 720p at 60fps) would be even better.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I've got the GoPro and hate it. I mean, it's no where near as good as my iPhone 4. The optics suck. The video quality is **** poor. The contrast can't deal with the bright windscreen v. the dark interior. The UI is terrible. And the battery life is miserably short. I've missed so many sessions because I've run out of juice.

That said, it does the things you want for an in-car camera that you mount on a roll bar behind your head. I can't get that sort of shot with an iPhone (even if I were to buy all the extra stuff to get it properly mounted and with a wide angle lens, I can't turn the damn thing on or off while I'm strapped into the car).

I'm looking into this new entry into the market:

http://replayxd.com/replay-xd1080-tech-specs/
Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

BTW, most of the Canon Vixia HD cameras with image stabilization technology will NOT work. I have a really good roll bar mount and there is something in them that rattles the image something horrible. Don't know anyone who could get them to work. I had an old mini-DV camera that worked pretty well but it just died, thus the Replay XD HD order.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, that Replay XD looks fantastic. Audio in jack (which is only available on the top-of-range Contour camera) and the spec sheet tantalizingly talks about timecode which may mean that it will be easy to sync the video from multiple cameras. Thanks for the link!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:52 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone look into the Drift Stealth?

http://driftinnovation.com/hd170-stealth-camera/

Seems interesting and it has a remote too.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Interesting that this thread should come up after I spent this weekend researching and spending a ton of time trying to figure which camera I want to get.

I don't like the gopro. Proprietary mounting, awkward case, square design, no external mic option, confusing buttons, no view finder unless you buy a worthless optional viewfinder that won't fit into the mounting case so it does you no good. No external mic means tons of wind noise obscuring the audio you want to hear: engine and tires howling. Other than marketing, I don't know why the gopro is popular.

I like contour HD's bullet design. The countour GPS has a nice option to use your iphone as a viewfinder, but you have to buy the GPS version which is wasted cost if you already have a datalogger. No external mic, but they do have a universal camera mount option. The new contour + has external mic option, but the price jumps to $500.

ReplayXD is the most compact. I love the bullet design, which would be easy to mount. It also has external mic option. But, no viewfinder.

Drift innovations has some good options. The drift stealth HD has universal mount, external mic, lcd viewfinder, and remote on/off switch (which is great because you don't have to waste time filming the car at a standstill in the hotpits), but it's big, bulky, and awkward looking. They have come out with a new smaller compact design called the Drift HD, but it's not out yet.

Then I ran into camsports HDmax extreme. It has everything I'm looking for. Compact, external mic, universal mounting standard (not an extra option you have to buy), lcd view finder, laser pointer to make sure you're level, remote on/off switch, HD. It costs a little more than the gopro, but imo the features are well worth it. It's a french company that has apparently been around for a while, but they have some distributors in the states. I bought one yesterday from rpmgear.com. No affiliation.
http://www.camsports.com/index.php?o...302&Itemid=296

Last edited by orthojoe; 08-01-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:04 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 997 tt/rs
take go pro, here is sample of mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3HqIKGHYrY
How is yours mounted? I have suction cup mount to back window...get shake at high speeds.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:19 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

with GoPro Motorsports Hero, does it come with the proper mounting hardware to mount on a rollbar in the car?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope. You get suction mount and the sticky mounts (5), plus two cases (one open in back, one not) and all kinds of arms and extensions.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:23 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

Then I ran into camsports HDmax extreme.... I bought one yesterday from rpmgear.com. No affiliation.
http://www.camsports.com/index.php?o...302&Itemid=296
So you still don't know if it is actually any good on the track? - since you just bought it.

Quick Reply: countourHD, gopro, or old fashion camcorder?