Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

countourHD, gopro, or old fashion camcorder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011 | 11:06 PM
bensf
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Anyone have experience with the vio pov HD?
http://www.vio-pov.com/products-all/pov-hd.html
As 9972RS said there is a fisheye lens affect. Ended up returning it.
Old 08-02-2011 | 11:54 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

I've come to the conclusion that you cannot get excellent video quality from small cameras. The small bullet cameras can never compare to the higher quality larger lens of a video camera. Same goes for the digital cameras. Have you ever seen wedding photographers using a point and shoot camera?

If you can mount a film production camera in a track car then that will give you the best video, but let's not kid ourselves. There's no way we can fit a gigantic Canon XA1 in our cars. So, we need to find the best compromise in terms of size, mounting capabilities, and image stabilization. The bullet cams are great for size, but video quality can never be as good as a larger palm size camcorder.

For the time being, I've ordered one of the simple plug and play cameras for a window mount. Then I may have to resort to getting a sony video camera to mount on the rollbar.
Old 08-03-2011 | 10:37 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
So, which is the proper setting to get a decent in-car scene when it's bright outside ?
I generally put mine on Spt. (Spot metering)Spot meter is primarily for shooting from inside of a car or other dark space looking out into a brighter outside setting. Spot meter adjusts the exposure for the absolute center of the scene, for example the road ahead instead of the interior of the car. If you are wanting optimum exposure of the inside of the car, filming mainly the driver for example, choose Cnt center weighted average to expose for the inside of the car.

^I copied that straight from the INSTRUCTION MANUAL Yes, the User Interface on the goPro is clunky, but if you take 10 minutes to learn how it works its pretty simple.
Old 08-03-2011 | 04:28 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by 9972RS
I've come to the conclusion that you cannot get excellent video quality from small cameras. The small bullet cameras can never compare to the higher quality larger lens of a video camera. Same goes for the digital cameras. Have you ever seen wedding photographers using a point and shoot camera?

Perhaps you should share this eureka moment with FOM - they must be getting it wrong. I find the picture from the cars in F1 (in HD) to be pretty good.

I am presently spending time with a family where three of them are professionally involved in film-making. They don't have any problems with their tiny cameras, BUT they are always well lit and very firmly mounted, bolted, glued, suction capped rather than strapped. Nor did any of us have any problems with the GoPro run up Pikes Peak.

if you haven't watched F1, watch it in HD, you may be surprised.

R+C
Old 08-03-2011 | 04:31 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

I'm still using an old skool AIPTEK GVS with a QC lens and it's worked out pretty well: http://youtu.be/-qAeXWvByEk?hd=1

The key is to mount it firmly and with side support. I think this camera would be perfect with a roll bar. The other thing that I think makes or breaks a good camera setup is the ability to wire in an external mic. It adds a lot to the viewing experience.
Old 08-22-2011 | 12:35 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Just quick follow-up on my camsports camera. I'm pretty happy with the results. To me, the picture looks good and the remote mic option was great. I clipped an external mic to my license plate frame to capture the exhaust nose. I made some video this past Friday. It wasn't with spyder, but with my evo. I hope you guys don't mind me dirtying the GT3 forum with a mitsubishi, but I figured this thread is about cameras, not the actual car.

The first video is with the camera mounted on my helmet:

The 2nd video is with the camera mounted on the hood:
Old 08-22-2011 | 04:46 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by DM993tt
Battery life issue can be solved by buying a skeleton case back which allows you to supply power from a cig lighter via usb cable.
Can you film while it is plugged in the USB cable now? Is that a firmware update because my gopro can't do this.
Old 08-22-2011 | 08:29 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

fc-racer - nice video. I agree - an external mic is a must. want to hear the flat 6 (no music please) and with the windows down the only way to have high quality audio is with that set up.

Quick Reply: countourHD, gopro, or old fashion camcorder?