Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Whats it like to live with a GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:45 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 205 Posts
Arrow Whats it like to live with a GT3RS

I wonder if anyone could be candid enough to post what else, other than total driving pleasure, is involved in owning a gt3rs......maintenance issues, warranty support(or lack thereof), recalls......basically "the downside" of ownership (if any)

-- i'm sure your dealer of choice matters, but does it matter if you find a "priced right" car at another dealer and bring it to your local one for service (or is that "frowned upon" as harley davidson seems to do)(i wouldn't think this would matter to porsche, as service appt is a service appt)

-- i'm an "on the fence" observer, and i realize at one point i wouold need to stop floundering and make a decision.....but for the moment i'm just doing my homework

-- i plan to own the car and drive it.....street only.....for driving fun/pleasure/exhilaration....i drive on a network of roads that allows me to exploit a little fun from a car(isolated, lightly traveled) i know it isn't like track time, but its the level of fun i enjoy......i currently have an s2000 which is very street friendly, fun, and a blast to own......(requires only that you care) i realize the porsche will be at an entirely different level, but i'm just curious of what feedback i might get from someone that lives with the car already........
Old 07-15-2011, 12:07 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is the best car on the planet, period. Versatile, mean, obnoxious, capable and the list goes on. A ton of car for the money.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 07-15-2011, 12:17 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of thoughts for you to chew on.

It's an amazing car no doubt and compared to other high end sports cars, the maintenance cost isn't too bad. Saying that coming from a Honda, the cost of service and especially parts is pretty darn expensive. But know you can turn it on any day of the year and go for a drive, it's a very well engineered vehicle.

My service dealer (local) is not who I buy cars from and I'm treated very well when I bring my car in. Service Depts/Techs really like to see these cars around, so they are typically pretty well. Just remember to remove the license plate frames before bringing it in.

Note that a GT3 will be better on the street if you don't track much and save you some money (but looks less aggressive).
Old 07-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

what's it like to live with?

A bit like Jerry Hall!

if you have to ask, the lady ain't for you.

R+C
Old 07-15-2011, 12:32 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a 400 mile road trip two days ago in my "heavily modified for track" .1RS and it was bliss

I am with ZBB - best car period

only downside is traffic which it sounds as if you do not really have...

the only possible better on paper performance value is a vette -- ON PAPER PEOPLE!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:52 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Completely agree. GT3 is a very good "compromise." take a look at the GTS also.

Originally Posted by brim
Note that a GT3 will be better on the street if you don't track much and save you some money (but looks less aggressive).
Old 07-15-2011, 01:20 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, coming from a 997.1 gt3 with all sorts of mods...

The RS LOOKS more extravagant that your average sports car, and if you've got sports seats it really is bothersome, say if you are wearing a jacket or something. Ergonomics are fine so long as you don't need to move from your driving position (like to pull out a key-card from your pocket or something). Driveways and ramps are annoying.

Then when it comes to maintenance - assuming you take the car to 3-4 track days a year and rest on the street, you will need a mechanic/dealer who knows his gt3s. The "regular" service interval is almost meaningless (to me). This is a high end performance car so it really pays to know a little bit about whats going on behind you and underneath you, and take it in for maintenance according to use.

That in mind, owning one is like owning a piece of racing history, and the driving pleasure and experience is second to none. No other car involves, engages and rewards you like a gt3 does. Any hassle associated with owning one is categorically outweighed by the sheer job of ownership.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Nirvana
Old 07-15-2011, 02:16 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

I've owned a number of interesting cars -- Elise, Morgan, various Porsches, also an S2000 very briefly.

As others have said, it is -- in some respects -- are car without equal. The heritage, experience, durability are just rarely found in one offering.

On the other hand, the performance envelope is rather expansive and there is a limit to what one can sanely do on public roads. Even though the car has amazing limits, people in other vehicles (and wildlife) do not expect such a projectile. So, it some ways, a really responsive sports car with lower limits, like the S2000, Boxster/Cayman may be more fun because it's "sweet spot" is more accessible. I recently owned an RS America, which I think was more fun just driving the twisties in a spirited but restrained manner. On track, it's a different story.

I will say the GT3 is a special car, and sitting in it, or slowly driving in traffic is also enjoyable, just knowing what went into making such a car.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:26 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

-- thanks for those responses.......pretty much to the point.....and all of them "kinda sorta" what i figured - i hope to join the crowd someday soon.......it'd be the RS hands down......need the looks as well as the other tidbits that make it an RS
Old 07-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

+1 on the RS America; a great car to teach you how to drive smoothly to extract its best and avoid its worst ...

Spyder or Cayman R would also be good alternatives ...
Old 07-15-2011, 02:30 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

I have only had my RS a short time now, but so far my feeling is that driving this car only on streets would be quite frustrating.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:44 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

-- reason being....?....to unruly, or too tempting to do things you shouldn't ?
Old 07-15-2011, 03:10 PM
IRguy
Instructor

SUCKS!! Mine is a track car - and now our local track is closed because of the flooding but it is not flooded I checked!! and the RS is a continous temtation in the garage. I make up stuff - where I need to go - just to drive the damn car. And it is even worse now with the RSS x-pipe..
Old 07-15-2011, 04:45 PM
jenk12m
Banned

No downside, it rattles till you push the clutch in but that's something you either love or hate. Center locks could be done away with but there ok

Quick Reply: Whats it like to live with a GT3RS