Whats it like to live with a GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:51 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 199 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by blake
The GT3 cars in general (since the 996.1 which did not come stateside) have been Porsche's "throwback" cars to the old days... Race-ready 911s that take no prisoners and are meant to grunt, snort and twitch all in the name of performance. The typical 911 buyer of today would find the ride harsh and jarring, but to the purists, that is the best part! The GT3s are so damn rewarding. The 996 variants (.1, .2 and the RS) were a bit TOO harsh, so the 997 variants toned it down a bit which certainly makes it more enjoyable as a combination street/track car. I don't think you can go wrong with ANY of the GT3s as they are a complete blast to drive on the street. But put them on the track, and the addiction becomes apparent. Then begins the slippery slope of mods - lighter, faster, cosmetic, (you get the picture)....

The current RS is a beast and I find it to be a very well-balanced car. The "4.0" will be even better. Drive as many of the variants as you can to get a feel, and then "come on in, the water is fine!"

And regarding dealerships, I tend to use them for warranty work. None of them seem to care where you purchased the car (like Harley for instance). The downside is that most tend to know very little about the track (suspension set-up, mods, etc.) so it is good to find a local independent (GT3 experts preferred) to help with that piece...

Every 911 that I have owned has been unbelievably reliable. The cost comes when you choose to track the car (track tires, race pads, and of course modifications) and incur those consummable and upgrade costs.

I do not see this addiction ending soon!

Good luck with the search....

-B

P.S. If the GT3 is not to your liking, the next best choice would be GTS. You might want to take a look at that one as well..
-- Thanks Blake....perfect review !
Old 07-16-2011, 09:53 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nugget
Agreed completely. If you're not a track junkie or don't think that you'd like to become a track junkie then you should skip the GT3. The benefits of the GT3 are impossible to exploit on the street. Heck, the differences are even difficult to even discern on the street, and the downsides are many. With no track plans, buy a GTS and it'll be just as thrilling and a lot more liveable.

That said, I've been daily driving a GT3 RS for almost two years now. A link:
And two threads from the archives:
-- do as i say...not as i do....
Old 07-16-2011, 09:57 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Medicopter
I've had my RS for 5 months now and it is almost better then flying ;-) It is my first Porsche and I really wanted something raw out of the box. Just like the others have commented, the car is very special ... the sound of the engine alone is worth its price. I would say go for it, you won't regret it.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:58 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Izzone
Learn to do ur own maintenance

I beat mine like a redheaded step child, if I can't break it u can't
-- this is the down and dirty stuff i want to hear !!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:03 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
I have a 2003 S2000 and a 10 GT3.

In some ways I enjoy the S more. Open air driving for one. I don't mind putting the miles on #2. I don't really care where I park it.

Living with the car day to day (as I have a M3, and daughter has a WRX)......well personally either GT3 or S2000 are not really "everyday" cars in my book. FUN, FUN cars no doubt. But to take a PRACTICAL long boring trip.......i almost like my 192,000 03 Sierra Denali, as the front seat is really comfortable, and
I have plenty of room for my right leg without it rubbing against the interior.

Oh yeah.....it's easier to have fun in the S because the limits and acceleration are lower. But the inside of the GT3 blows the S away, and while noisy, the GT3 sounds aren't as annoying as the S.

-- understood.....thanks for the input !
Old 07-16-2011, 10:11 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911dev
Ha! The GT3 and RSs ARE street cars and great ones at that. Tracking is great but the lack thereof does not mean you should not consider the car. Mine (GT3) is such and I love it. My 997 turbo was too boring and my previous .1 997S didn't have enough power or that symphonic engine exhaust music!
-- i hear you......even though i'm in Yonkers NY...which is close to NYC......all roads point north for me...into the Lime Rock, Ct. part of country....but simply do not need the track...i'm not knocking the track experience, i think its great, and have done it a few times...i simply don't need it (let alone the logistics involved).......

-- thanks for your point of view
Old 07-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RD16RR
-- do as i say...not as i do....
Not at all. I put thousands of track miles a year on my GT3. As I said, if you plan to track the car then it makes sense to put up with the GT3s liabilities on the street. If you dont intend to track the car, it's a bad buy.

The front lip scrapes on every parking deck. The lightweigt flywheel makes traffic lights a challenge. The flywheel clatter will convince every passenger or pedestrian within earshot that the car is broken. Every fifth or sixth time you start the car up it will fart out a giant cloud of oil smoke. Rear visibility is poor due to the wing.

They're not very good daily driver cars.

Al those downsides, and what are the upsides? Almost completely irrelevant for the street. You get:

A true dry sump GT1 "Mezger" engine which allows you use slicks (which aren't even street legal) without fear of oil starvation issues. Not a benefit for a car which isn't tracked.

Larger brakes to avoid brake fade when you're braking down from 100+mph lap after lap after lap on the track. Not something you find yourself doing on the street.

A more adjustable suspension which allows you dial in negative camber for better cornering on the track, also turning the car into a nervous, twitchy, tire-eating monster. Great on the track, but not something you will find beneficial on the street.

A huge rear wing that provides more cornering downforce at speeds you'll never achieve on the highway (at least not under cornering load).

An aggressive front splitter that reduces lift at speeds you'll never approach on the street.

There are plenty of features on the GT3 which are invaluable on the track but they are largely irrelevant on the street. Unless you're going to take the car onto a track you're buying capabilities that you will never (or only very rarely) even be able to detect, much less enjoy. Even if you won't be bothered by the downsides you'll still never exploit the benefits.

At 8/10ths a GT3 really isn't that much different than a GTS. And you shouldn't be at 9/10ths on the street no matter how much of an enthusiast you are or how soul-satisfying you find the GT3 heritage. Sure, there's a great sense of occasion when you turn the key in a GT3, but a GTS is still a damn special car and a Porsche.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Additionally the GT3 has limited weatherproofing and a reduced warranty for corrosion. I'd think long and hard before I drove mine in the winter with salt on the roads. Thankfully not a factor down here in Texas, but since you live North where the roads get salt it's certainly something to consider.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:44 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very good point about living with the engine on the street.

Anything under 6,000 rpm and the car just isn't trying

Unfortunately, unless you like 1st gear (a lot), you will never see those kinds of revs (where the car actually WORKS) without seriously breaking all sorts of traffic laws.

Heck, even if you find somewhere cop-free; pushing the engine in 3rd and 4th, and, if you are insane, 5th, means you are on the very far side of 100mph and are in the category of 1) professional driver 2) very lucky 3) just had a serious accident.

I've been up to 175mph in my old 997.1 C2S, and the same in my gt3; the latter was still pulling quite hard therefore is far scarier...

Then, there is a school of thought that suggests that the Mezger engine "needs" to be revved to keep the internals clean. Not sure how much stock I would put in that... but..

Track it, or don't waste your money.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Additionally the GT3 has limited weatherproofing and a reduced warranty for corrosion. I'd think long and hard before I drove mine in the winter with salt on the roads. Thankfully not a factor down here in Texas, but since you live North where the roads get salt it's certainly something to consider.
We hibernate during the winter months.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:34 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

-- funny thing...the rationality of everything i'm reading makes good sense....and i get a good feel for what you're trying to convey when you say this:

There are plenty of features on the GT3 which are invaluable on the track but they are largely irrelevant on the street. Unless you're going to take the car onto a track you're buying capabilities that you will never (or only very rarely) even be able to detect, much less enjoy. Even if you won't be bothered by the downsides you'll still never exploit the benefits.

-- call me retarded, but just about everything i'm reading still captivates me and propels me forward for wanting one.....
Old 07-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do please remember, the GT3 RS is designed for the street in its homeland.

Do not confuse Stateside related shortcomings with GT3 shortcomings.

Its not the car's fault that roads are poorly maintained, speed limits are opressive and domestic architecture is imicable to this sort of car.

For all the chest beating about its track heritage, it is a street car. The cup is a half pie track car and the RSR a proper track car.

Incidentally, in the real world (German Autobahn), the brakes get a tougher workout than they do at the track.

R+C
Old 07-16-2011, 11:56 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best GT3 discussion so far !!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:02 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone is different and has their own unique set of tolerances vs. enjoyment. You would not believe how many GT cars have been returned after the new owner has driven home and then straight back to the dealer citing the likes of "the car is too hard, its bumpy, it rattles and creaks." The new owner had no idea what they were getting into. If it really is going to regularly street driven you might consider spending time in one before taking the plunge (not to suggest at all that you wouldn't love it).

Have you considered a GT2?
Old 07-16-2011, 01:03 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pewter82
Best GT3 discussion so far !!
-- i didn't realize it would grow like it has......i don't own one<yet>......for a moment <feeling like a rookie> i wasn't sure if i'd get any response, or get "exit stage left" removed......

-- Nordschleife makes excellent points !

Quick Reply: Whats it like to live with a GT3RS