Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Whats it like to live with a GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:02 PM
amdevo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best car hands down, down side is that its frustrating on public roads coz theres not much places where you can expliot its potential, even when you find a couple of twists and turns you can trust street tarmac

its only on the track where you realise why this car is so special, otherwise a turbo gives more street joy
Old 07-15-2011, 05:14 PM
RAPID
Racer

It is a great car, and unfortunately for you, if you ask the question, you probably already have decided...Anyway if I am wrong, do look at the GTS and perhaps also the GT3, because you only really get the most of the RS on the track. The rest of the time, you drive it to keep the fluids going around the mechanical parts, and you wish you were on a track....
Old 07-15-2011, 05:52 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The GT3 cars in general (since the 996.1 which did not come stateside) have been Porsche's "throwback" cars to the old days... Race-ready 911s that take no prisoners and are meant to grunt, snort and twitch all in the name of performance. The typical 911 buyer of today would find the ride harsh and jarring, but to the purists, that is the best part! The GT3s are so damn rewarding. The 996 variants (.1, .2 and the RS) were a bit TOO harsh, so the 997 variants toned it down a bit which certainly makes it more enjoyable as a combination street/track car. I don't think you can go wrong with ANY of the GT3s as they are a complete blast to drive on the street. But put them on the track, and the addiction becomes apparent. Then begins the slippery slope of mods - lighter, faster, cosmetic, (you get the picture)....

The current RS is a beast and I find it to be a very well-balanced car. The "4.0" will be even better. Drive as many of the variants as you can to get a feel, and then "come on in, the water is fine!"

And regarding dealerships, I tend to use them for warranty work. None of them seem to care where you purchased the car (like Harley for instance). The downside is that most tend to know very little about the track (suspension set-up, mods, etc.) so it is good to find a local independent (GT3 experts preferred) to help with that piece...

Every 911 that I have owned has been unbelievably reliable. The cost comes when you choose to track the car (track tires, race pads, and of course modifications) and incur those consummable and upgrade costs.

I do not see this addiction ending soon!

Good luck with the search....

-B

P.S. If the GT3 is not to your liking, the next best choice would be GTS. You might want to take a look at that one as well..
Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
to grunt, snort and twitch all in the name of performance...
What he said.

I am coming from an M3. I have loved the 911 since I was a kid. This is my first Porsche, and I WANTED a raw, rumbling, snorting, twitching, grunting car that would bark at me and make my back hurt! The M3 was awesome but I was over the daily driver masquerading as a race car.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RAPID
It is a great car, and unfortunately for you, if you ask the question, you probably already have decided...Anyway if I am wrong, do look at the GTS and perhaps also the GT3, because you only really get the most of the RS on the track. The rest of the time, you drive it to keep the fluids going around the mechanical parts, and you wish you were on a track....
Agreed completely. If you're not a track junkie or don't think that you'd like to become a track junkie then you should skip the GT3. The benefits of the GT3 are impossible to exploit on the street. Heck, the differences are even difficult to even discern on the street, and the downsides are many. With no track plans, buy a GTS and it'll be just as thrilling and a lot more liveable.

That said, I've been daily driving a GT3 RS for almost two years now. A link:
And two threads from the archives:
Old 07-15-2011, 06:56 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a turbo and leave whats left of the new GT cars for those who will use them properly at the track! From an S2000 into a GT car?! That's a big step- just don't end up hurting anyone. You have to push your luck really hard on the streets to enjoy this thing so unless you're going to track you should stick with a street car.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had my RS for 5 months now and it is almost better then flying ;-) It is my first Porsche and I really wanted something raw out of the box. Just like the others have commented, the car is very special ... the sound of the engine alone is worth its price. I would say go for it, you won't regret it.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Medicopter
I've had my RS for 5 months now and it is almost better then flying ;-) It is my first Porsche and I really wanted something raw out of the box. Just like the others have commented, the car is very special ... the sound of the engine alone is worth its price. I would say go for it, you won't regret it.
Learn to do ur own maintenance

I beat mine like a redheaded step child, if I can't break it u can't
Old 07-16-2011, 12:55 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a 2003 S2000 and a 10 GT3.

In some ways I enjoy the S more. Open air driving for one. I don't mind putting the miles on #2. I don't really care where I park it.

Living with the car day to day (as I have a M3, and daughter has a WRX)......well personally either GT3 or S2000 are not really "everyday" cars in my book. FUN, FUN cars no doubt. But to take a PRACTICAL long boring trip.......i almost like my 192,000 03 Sierra Denali, as the front seat is really comfortable, and
I have plenty of room for my right leg without it rubbing against the interior.

Oh yeah.....it's easier to have fun in the S because the limits and acceleration are lower. But the inside of the GT3 blows the S away, and while noisy, the GT3 sounds aren't as annoying as the S.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:16 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

I think the GT3 RS is an excellent choice for someone who wants to drive more on the track, but doesn't want the costs and troubles of dealing with a full blow GT3 Cup.

The main problem with the RS is that street driving is painful, as the car wants to go fast. And unless you break laws, you're limited in how much fun you can have. So if you get one, best to do at least 1 track event per month. Or else you're not really maximizing ownership.

The GT3 is for those wanting a more raw street car that will occasionally see some track time.

I'd say if you can swing it, get one. It's really a purists car that is simply magical to drive. Words just can't explain what Porsche has done with it's GT cars. DO IT!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:29 AM
axracer
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jlr
I've owned a number of interesting cars -- Elise, Morgan, various Porsches, also an S2000 very briefly.

As others have said, it is -- in some respects -- are car without equal. The heritage, experience, durability are just rarely found in one offering.

On the other hand, the performance envelope is rather expansive and there is a limit to what one can sanely do on public roads. Even though the car has amazing limits, people in other vehicles (and wildlife) do not expect such a projectile. So, it some ways, a really responsive sports car with lower limits, like the S2000, Boxster/Cayman may be more fun because it's "sweet spot" is more accessible. I recently owned an RS America, which I think was more fun just driving the twisties in a spirited but restrained manner. On track, it's a different story.

I will say the GT3 is a special car, and sitting in it, or slowly driving in traffic is also enjoyable, just knowing what went into making such a car.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
The main problem with the RS is that street driving is painful, as the car wants to go fast.
Bingo!

As much as I love my RS, I prefer to drive the club coupe in day to day commute. More comfortable and attract less unwanted attention.

Yes, driving the RS daily is possible, just not preferable.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:51 AM
tripleblack
Racer

^ GT cars attract attention on the street. Some like that and some don't. They have a presence and a wing...they do not "blend in" anywhere but amongst their equivalents. The GTS is more subtle and more comfortable on the street, but also fun to drive - not as raw as a GT car of course but fun nevertheless. As is the turbo. For street only I would think twice about an RS - there are very few places where one can get the rpm's high enough to really enjoy the car. If however, you live somewhere that permits 8000rpm without endangering anyone or your wallet the RS is going to be hard to beat.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:24 AM
scss98
Instructor

If you have nice roads around where you live, you will be very happy. If you live around New York where you have to deal with pot holes All the time, you won't be. It is a great car to drive to Watkins Glen, have fun on the track and drive it back. Enjoyed every minute in the car. Dont want to worry about parking it in door ding city however. My two cents.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:46 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by number 9
Get a turbo and leave whats left of the new GT cars for those who will use them properly at the track! From an S2000 into a GT car?! That's a big step- just don't end up hurting anyone. You have to push your luck really hard on the streets to enjoy this thing so unless you're going to track you should stick with a street car.
Ha! The GT3 and RSs ARE street cars and great ones at that. Tracking is great but the lack thereof does not mean you should not consider the car. Mine (GT3) is such and I love it. My 997 turbo was too boring and my previous .1 997S didn't have enough power or that symphonic engine exhaust music!

Quick Reply: Whats it like to live with a GT3RS