I just did a complete 180

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I just did a complete 180

180 days, that is.

It was exactly six months ago that equiraptor and I hopped a flight to Nashville and picked up 997.1 RS number 2837. For the past six months I've been daily-driving and monthly-tracking my GT3 RS and I guess now's as good a time as any to pause and reflect on what I've learned from the experience.

By the numbers, it looks something like this:

I've put 6,091 miles on the car (1,218/month).
Of those, 1,149 miles have been on the track (19%).
2 spins (one with me at the wheel. one with, uh, not me at the wheel)
It took me 3,378 miles to decide that I hate PS2 Cups and that I think RE11s are much nicer.
At least 6 random people have taken pictures of me driving and posted them to Flickr.
13 corvettes have tried to goad me into a race on the highway.
I just ordered my second set of R6s and am studiously avoiding calculating my per-lap cost for track tires.

But, as all of us here know, numbers can't tell the whole story. Heck, if it were just about numbers I'd probably be driving a Z06 or a GTR.

The GT3 RS has been, overall, great to own. It was sort of an impulsive purchase that could have ended in regret, but so far it's working out just great.

On the street it's been acceptable here in central Houston. I really do daily drive this car. It's actually surviving the crappy roads better than the flexy convertible's chassis. It's a little more brutal for the people inside, but less damaging for the car. Ground clearance is worse, and I've had to refine my skills entering and exiting steep-sloped parking lots. Even with kung-fu-master car control skills there are parking lots I just can't park in now with the GT3 that were navigable with my stock ride height C2S. I'd give the RS a solid C+ for daily drivability. Totally reasonable for enthusiasts, but if you disagree I wouldn't feel compelled to argue the point.

On the track it's everything I could have hoped for and more. Sublime, rewarding, indestructible, and it attracts a lot of fun attention. The lighter weight and stiffer chassis have translated directly to more confidence-inspiring handling, I love being able to dial in a lot more negative camber in the front and with zero toe the car is just right kind of darty and nimble. The lightweight flywheel makes off-throttle oversteer as easy as thinking. It's just a dream.

Bottom line, these are simply fantastic machines. Even at twice the money I honestly have no idea what I'd want to buy if I couldn't have a GT3. It ticks all my checkboxes, tickles all my exuberance, and rewards the passion I have for cars and driving. The heritage, performance, and practicality are an unmatched package that just isn't something you can find with another marque. Full stop.

I'd also add that my owning this car is all your fault, rennlist community. If it weren't for these forums and the great people who post here, I don't know that I'd have ever discovered what a remarkable car this is to own. So thanks, everyone.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Nugget,
Nice write up and thanks for sharing. My first P-car was a '04 GT3, which I modded then recently sold for a '07 RS. Though they share the same DNA, they are different. An RS is special.
D.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm just glad you didn't buy my car
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see that you are enjoying you RS, heck, I hardly even drive my 996 since I got the RS. Don't forget to factor brakes, these cars have a higher performance envelope and require frequent pads. Make sure and check yours regularly. Hopefully I run into you at TWS, MSR, or H2R.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations, Nugget.
Preceding your purchase by just a few months, I couldn't agree with you more.

Originally Posted by russo
Hopefully I run into you at TWS, MSR, or H2R.
Hope that's just a euphemism.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nugget, I had a very similar experience with my 997 GT3!! Only I knew I were going to love the car!!, this is the best car I ever had!!
I got the car in Nov.07 but I only took it to the track until december '08, now I've done 25+ track days, and more than $25K on mods, this car is bound to be a dedicated track car!! ,
Soon maybe I'll buy a RS later as a DD.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nugget,

Nice write up and it was enjoyable to read.

Chuck

'07 RS #2513 green
'07 RS #3115 green
'08 RS #2191 orange
Old 03-02-2010, 01:28 AM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

good review.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:21 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nugget
I'd also add that my owning this car is all your fault, rennlist community. If it weren't for these forums and the great people who post here, I don't know that I'd have ever discovered what a remarkable car this is to own. So thanks, everyone.
Ah the downside of online communities... they are really good at helping you spend your money

Good write-up and glad to hear you're enjoying your RS so much.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:52 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Nice write-up Nugget! Who spun the other time? A DE instructor? haha

Hope to meet you at the track sometime.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:10 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
Nice write-up Nugget! Who spun the other time? A DE instructor? hahae.
Nugget's significant other here! I sent it sliding through the dirt on Saturday. Whoops.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:13 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Man, I killed the thread. Eeep.

The RS really is a fantastic car. Nugget's let me run some hot laps in it on Harris Hill Road. I enjoy the way the car revs as I blip the throttle for a heel-toe downshift. The shifter is notchy and stiff... Exactly as it should be. It's usable on the street while being wonderfully informative on the track. The rear grip is simply phenomenal. The car allows me to roll on the throttle earlier and faster than I expect. Acceleration starts so early, and full acceleration comes so soon, and full acceleration in that car is so quick... The straights just disappear.

The car is enjoyable to drive on the street and an absolute thrill on the track. When I got out of the car after my first hot session in it, the guys said to me, "Nugget needs to stop handing you the keys to the crack."
Old 03-05-2010, 08:39 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Just passed 8k miles on my RS! Also, just added sparco seats, rollbar, and some suspension bits! The car is truly outstanding in every way! Thanks for sharing Nugget!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:46 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by equiraptor
Man, I killed the thread. Eeep.

The RS really is a fantastic car. Nugget's let me run some hot laps in it on Harris Hill Road. I enjoy the way the car revs as I blip the throttle for a heel-toe downshift. The shifter is notchy and stiff... Exactly as it should be. It's usable on the street while being wonderfully informative on the track. The rear grip is simply phenomenal. The car allows me to roll on the throttle earlier and faster than I expect. Acceleration starts so early, and full acceleration comes so soon, and full acceleration in that car is so quick... The straights just disappear.

The car is enjoyable to drive on the street and an absolute thrill on the track. When I got out of the car after my first hot session in it, the guys said to me, "Nugget needs to stop handing you the keys to the crack."
"Not quite dead"

I couldn't agree more with you -- at least after I'd chipped my car. It is great to hear you and Nugget write about driving the car as it was meant to be driven. I've enjoyed every experience you guys have posted.
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2010, 02:24 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

You've captured 100% of the essence of why I love my 930 track car ..... excellent writeup!

Quick Reply: I just did a complete 180