WTB: Center Lock Wheels GT3RS fitment

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
2010 RS is 12Jx19H2 ET48
Thanks for the correction CGT... mdrums, that moves them out yet another 3mm more than previously quoted...
Old 07-01-2011, 10:59 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
The GTS has the same tub as a RS I believe

It does not have teh same front track width as a RS

Maybe a hybrid of normal GT3 front rims and RS back

You need to figure out if teh spindle is in teh same position for RS and GTS
What many people don't get or understand is the GTS is a widebody car...same dimensions as a Turbo and GT3RS. The CL wheels on the GTS are 8x19 and 11x19 same as the Turbo or the 5 lug wheels on the GTS are 8.5x19 and 11.5x19 and show different offset numbers. The offset will change as the wheel width changes. The 12x19 offset is 48et on all these cars. Tire Rack shows the front width on CL's for GT3 and Turbo as 51et on 8.5 wheel with 235's but since the GT3RS uses a 245's Tire Rack shows a 9" wheels with 51et offset. I believe the offset number changed with the width of the wheel.

My CCW 18" wheels where 9" and 12" wide so i'm positive I can also fit this width under the GTS.

I have a call into Damon at Tire Rack to see if I can get this sorted out.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:08 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
What many people don't get or understand is the GTS is a widebody car...same dimensions as a Turbo and GT3RS. The CL wheels on the GTS are 8x19 and 11x19 same as the Turbo or the 5 lug wheels on the GTS are 8.5x19 and 11.5x19 and show different offset numbers. The offset will change as the wheel width changes. The 12x19 offset is 48et on all these cars. Tire Rack shows the front width on CL's for GT3 and Turbo as 51et on 8.5 wheel with 235's but since the GT3RS uses a 245's Tire Rack shows a 9" wheels with 51et offset. I believe the offset number changed with the width of the wheel.

My CCW 18" wheels where 9" and 12" wide so i'm positive I can also fit this width under the GTS.
mdrums, if you want to get this right, you need to forget about what body your car has... frankly you don't know where your hubs are placed in relation to the edges of the body compared to those of an RS...

You compare wheels... you want your replacement wheels to sit in the same spot (outer edges) as your OEMs and maintain enough clearance from suspension... Your thinking about it the wrong way... Use an offset calculator to help you get it right...
Old 07-01-2011, 11:43 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Congrats on the GTS, Mike! Every one that I've driven so far — even a Cab! — has been flat-out brilliant.

Coupe with Sport PASM was a bit much on Michigan, livable but only worth it if I was going to do track stuff all the time. In other words, I suspect that's the way you went.

pete
Old 07-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
mdrums, if you want to get this right, you need to forget about what body your car has... frankly you don't know where your hubs are placed in relation to the edges of the body compared to those of an RS...

You compare wheels... you want your replacement wheels to sit in the same spot (outer edges) as your OEMs and maintain enough clearance from suspension... Your thinking about it the wrong way... Use an offset calculator to help you get it right...
+1.....this is what I was trying to say, but head is fuzzy this morning
Old 07-01-2011, 11:49 AM
SWO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ mdrums

Thanks - the RS Spyder wheels in sliver (I hate the whole black with silver lip thing) are awesome on your GTS - can't wait for picss of the real thing with the aerokit.

My issues would be the upfront costs for the tools vice what I have on hand, as well as the smaller and more expensive selection for track wheels, but no deal breaker.

Much less concerned abouth the safety of them as they've been used and "abused" by the best here on RL.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:59 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911rox

Thanks 911rox....I agree and have a call into the dealer about hubs and spindles to see where things sit.

From the Porsche site here is the dimensions of the stock 5 lug wheels for a wide body GTS or Turbo.
8.5x19 et 55
11.5x19 et 50

I just also spoke to Damon at Tire Rack, extremely personable, knowledgable and nice.....and he said the 12x19 et48 on the rear will work but suggested to stay with the 8.5x19 front et51 since I'll be useing a 235 tire over trying to put that size tire on a 9" wheel.

After I talk to my dealer to see if they know anything about if the GT3RS has a wider front track than a GTS and Turbo I'll you you know....I'm thinking the RS might have a wider front track....we'll see.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Mike.......email Fabryce at GMG. I am sure he has figured tihs out already......since your car is probably the same as a turbo
Old 07-01-2011, 12:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by excmag
Congrats on the GTS, Mike! Every one that I've driven so far — even a Cab! — has been flat-out brilliant.

Coupe with Sport PASM was a bit much on Michigan, livable but only worth it if I was going to do track stuff all the time. In other words, I suspect that's the way you went.

pete
Thanks Pete, I'm pretty darn excited...I know it's no GT3 or GT3RS but with my prosthetic leg issue it's be best I can do right now. I have Sport PASM on my 09 Carrera S and drive it around a lot on the streets and it's a little stiffer but no real issues for me or my wife unless we go downtown Tampa and drive on the cobblestone streets. I'd say the car will be 50/50 street track depending on the time of the year.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

Mike, Try some GT3 and RS wheels first. Both OEM and aftermarket. There should be plenty around that don't mind swapping wheels. You can also chak out the look and stance better.

Maybe driving over to my place is a good way to break it in and we can try my OEM and BBS wheels?
Old 07-01-2011, 01:57 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

be careful. There are two versions of CL, the one used by the GT cars, and the one introduced in the 911 Turbo now used in the GTS and Turbo S.

In regards to wheel width and offset, the 3.8 RS and GT2RS wheels sizes fit the Carrera GTS just right.

Sin911, a typical rookie error is to buy NT-01 or RA-1 at full tread, shaving is your friend with these two tires. Don't blame the smaller diameter, that actually helps you more by reducing your long gearing.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:13 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Sin911, a typical rookie error is to buy NT-01 or RA-1 at full tread, shaving is your friend with these two tires. Don't blame the smaller diameter, that actually helps you more by reducing your long gearing.
Thanks Rad, I just try to make them last a little longer.

What everyone says is the front diameter is supposed to be smaller than the rear in a 997, that's my concern. And most 18" tires don't have that
Old 07-01-2011, 03:38 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Thanks Rad, I just try to make them last a little longer.

What everyone says is the front diameter is supposed to be smaller than the rear in a 997, that's my concern. And most 18" tires don't have that
actually they don't last as long at full tread, because they get chunky and out of a decent round shape due to chunks. The cheater guys in Florida shave them way too much. 5/32" is just right.

You have some tolerance built into the ABS computer for diameter difference front/rear, nothing to do with ICE mode (Do Search on my id). I got abusive ice mode in the 997 GT3 RS running Michelin slicks on similar diameter as stock tires, and very little running a massively bigger street rear tires and a shorter front tire. My Cayman running 24.9" front and rear tires produces Zero ICE mode despite of running much taller rear tires stock.

Anyway, running 245/305 RA-1 on 18" is just fine with any 997 (from Carrera 3.6 to GT2 RS), they stick more than the stock rubber.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

be careful. There are two versions of CL, the one used by the GT cars, and the one introduced in the 911 Turbo now used in the GTS and Turbo S.

In regards to wheel width and offset, the 3.8 RS and GT2RS wheels sizes fit the Carrera GTS just right.
The Center Lock on the GTS is different...new to me...so I called my dealer and sat with him while he looked at PET. The locking nut is the same between the cars but the looking at PET it looks like you can buy locking nut parts on the GT3 PET.

My dealer just emailed me the GTS and GT3RS PET pages on wheels/CL nuts and hubs and spindles. Anyone good and this stuff PM me your email and you can take a look too.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:17 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

actually they don't last as long at full tread, because they get chunky and out of a decent round shape due to chunks. The cheater guys in Florida shave them way too much. 5/32" is just right.

You have some tolerance built into the ABS computer for diameter difference front/rear, nothing to do with ICE mode (Do Search on my id). I got abusive ice mode in the 997 GT3 RS running Michelin slicks on similar diameter as stock tires, and very little running a massively bigger street rear tires and a shorter front tire. My Cayman running 24.9" front and rear tires produces Zero ICE mode despite of running much taller rear tires stock.

Anyway, running 245/305 RA-1 on 18" is just fine with any 997 (from Carrera 3.6 to GT2 RS), they stick more than the stock rubber.
Thanks for the info Rad, I guess I need to do some research.

The RA1's are fine for sure, I've been running them with no problem. But the overall diameter on the 305 tires are taller than the 245

Quick Reply: WTB: Center Lock Wheels GT3RS fitment