Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GMG & RSS Roll Bar Comparisions...Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
^ I'm getting one also. It's a much beefier roll bar than the RSS. Cheaper too.

I'd still like to know why you don't like the DAS sport bar.
The DAS bar is $1295 plus you have to paint or powder coat it for $300-500 depending who does the work...so the finished product cost more than a RSS bar but less than a GMG bar.

Also due to the way the DAS bars mounts to the front seat belt anchors I've been told that I will not be able to put the Porsche GT2 Sport Seats all the way back. Check out the pictures below and notice with DAS mount and the GMG and RSS mount....see?

1st pic is the DAS bar
Attached Images    
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Thank you for the explanation Fab!

I always enjoy it when vendors explain the reasoning behind their designs
Old 06-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Mdrums

I didn't paint my bar, it I out of box black

Wheels, gmg 18" .......I beat the crap out of mine and the make it.....turn 7 at Sebring is a straight line

If I didn't do oem, gmg for sure. James and fabryce have been super helpful and informative or both cars
Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Izzone
Mdrums

I didn't paint my bar, it I out of box black

Wheels, gmg 18" .......I beat the crap out of mine and the make it.....turn 7 at Sebring is a straight line

If I didn't do oem, gmg for sure. James and fabryce have been super helpful and informative or both cars
I do like the monoblock GMG wheels and their RS bar...wonder if Fabryce could put a nice discounted package deal together for me on a bar, wheels w/ tires and Schroth harness?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

This was a long search for me. I do have to give credit to Bryan at RSS, Alex at Sharkwerks, Solomon at RAC Performance, and James at GMG. For my needs, I decided to go with the GMG WC bar mainly due to build quality and price. I just didn't feel the GMG RSR was worth the extra cash at this point. Thanks everybody.

Which Schroth 6 point harnesses and sub-bars do people recommend for the WC bar in an '11 GT3?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

I ended up with a RSS bar....super high end build, RSS is great to deal with. You can call RSS and they will talk to you, explain things and return calls. RSS pricing vs quality vs features can't be beat in roll bars!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:43 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GMG RSR rollbar here
Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,959 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread but I want to toss another option into the mix. What about the GMG WC bar with that add on piece?

I just purchased the WC bar from a fellow Rennlister. Many thanks to Paul for the transaction and wealth of info. I'm in the process of turning it white (color of car) and was wondering if I should incorporate that extra part that extends to the rear shock towers?

http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_interior.shtml
Old 06-26-2012, 12:05 AM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 448 Likes on 267 Posts

Mdrums- Always happy to help out a fellow racer any time I can.... Shoot me a email and I will gladly work out a package deal for you.

RAudidriver -Thanks for pointing out the WC bar with the additional bracing in the back. This is a great option for those who want to upgrade at a later date or want a roll bar/half cage which offers 6 points of attachment and a integrated rear strut tower brace from the start.

If I can answer any further questions please feel free to shoot me a email:

Fabryce@gmgracing.com

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 06-26-2012, 12:35 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

How does the additional bracing attach? I may want to add the other points. I also need to change the color to white. Is painting or powder coating the way to go. The car is white.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:47 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 448 Likes on 267 Posts

The bars are attached with a machined clamp which goes around the tube.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss
Old 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

get RSS bars as it mounts on rear strut tops.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Antonov
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

So does the GMG.

Originally Posted by utkinpol
If you don't mind b-pillar seatbelt mounts, it comes down to whether you prefer OEM/Euro style X-main hoop support (GMG) or US style single diagonal with harness bar main hoop support.

I would prefer to weld in plates rather than drill holes, which begs the question:

Can the non OEM bolt in bars (GMG/RSS) be installed with a OEM style welded in studded plate, rather than drilling, and installing a backing plate?

Another option not covered in this thread is the TC Design roll bar. It incorporates X main hoop support like the OEM stuff, but also has the harness bars in the main hoop which is good for belt stretch.

The way it fits in the car, I'm not sure if it allows for the seats to be moved all the way back, but what it does allow for is a full set of wheels to fit inside the car which is nice if you don't trailer your car.

That DAS bar has zero main hoop support. Better than nothing I suppose, but for sure the last thing I'd put in my car given the other options.

A side note: One thing I like about the GMG bar vs. the RSR bar is the node placement. Look at the main hoop support, and rear down tube supports/diagonal. They all meet at a common node which is always better than the alternative.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
But only the 931 is chromoly. The 930 is just mild steel.

Fabryce, I'll be touching base with you in a few days regarding my alignment.

On another note, I currently have your WC bar and am probably going to want to add the extra bracing. Seeing as my bar is black and I need to turn it white. I want to make sure that if I add the extra bracing I can get it in the same color. I'm looking for a local powder coater to turn my WC bar white, even though I would rather have it painted. Do you guys paint or powdercoat?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,735 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotrashdtm

Another option not covered in this thread is the TC Design roll bar. It incorporates X main hoop support like the OEM stuff, but also has the harness bars in the main hoop which is good for belt stretch.

The way it fits in the car, I'm not sure if it allows for the seats to be moved all the way back, but what it does allow for is a full set of wheels to fit inside the car which is nice if you don't trailer your car.
1. this is not an option for many. your car has to be in his shop in order to do it. TCD will not prefab it.
2. whatever seat you have and however tall you are, the seat will have full travel. it's custom made.
3. the "X" in the main hoop vs the single diag. TCD does both.
4. fitting tires in a car with roll bar will be tough, regardless of which bar.

Quick Reply: GMG & RSS Roll Bar Comparisions...Need Help.