Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GMG & RSS Roll Bar Comparisions...Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 PM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the RSS 930 bar.

Fits great, powder coat is flawless, and I got fantastic customer service from the guys at RSS.

On the note of sliding seats back, I am 5'11" and when I ride shotgun, I still have several inches before seat back hits bar. You'd have to be driving some lanky ****** around for that to matter.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
C2 does the clubsport bar install, looks factory. Just post on RL that you are looking for one.....one will pop up

Gavins shop has done a bunch of installs too, I woudl call him and pick his brain

Jenk, me, Reter and Sin all have clubsport

I have not paid $3k for one yet
Ok well then... Anyone got a Porsche Club Sport roll
bar they are need to sell off cheap?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by bobbybailey
I have the RSS 930 bar.

Fits great, powder coat is flawless, and I got fantastic customer service from the guys at RSS.

On the note of sliding seats back, I am 5'11" and when I ride shotgun, I still have several inches before seat back hits bar. You'd have to be driving some lanky ****** around for that to matter.
At 6'5" I'm a lanky *****! LOL
Old 06-25-2011, 09:37 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the RSS Club Race bar-I like the fit & the front mount to the chassis side rails.
Plenty of seat/leg room on both sides w/ GT2 seats.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:50 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

(Below assumes the new roll bar is for your new GTS)

I'm not sure of there is a rear seat delete option for the GTS, but if so and you order it...warning:

I recently installed 2 GMG bars in two '10 RS cars....and I can tell you that one of the RS cars for some reason had industrial strength plastic plugs in the threaded mounting points. I seriously pray that you never have to try to get those out - it took HOURS. These were not your ordinary plastic plugs - they were never meant to come out as determined by the profanity and aggravation experienced.

The other RS did not have the plugs in the threads and was a breeze. Go figure.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by FLA997
(Below assumes the new roll bar is for your new GTS)

I'm not sure of there is a rear seat delete option for the GTS, but if so and you order it...warning:

I recently installed 2 GMG bars in two '10 RS cars....and I can tell you that one of the RS cars for some reason had industrial strength plastic plugs in the threaded mounting points. I seriously pray that you never have to try to get those out - it took HOURS. These were not your ordinary plastic plugs - they were never meant to come out as determined by the profanity and aggravation experienced.

The other RS did not have the plugs in the threads and was a breeze. Go figure.
Yes this is for the GTS...which comes with rear seats that I will take out.

Between trying to make the correct decesion on a roll bar and track wheels...I'm going crazy....LOL
Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my personal cars I would now install nothing other than a OE Clubsport bar. Fit/finish/quality/safety.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Yup and don't believe the stuff about rattles. They don't.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yup and don't believe the stuff about rattles. They don't.
OK well then you and Savy find me a OEM Clubsport bar on the seriously very cheap tight budget then.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Less Fountain racing, more Porsche racing ...
Orbit, FVD and carnewal have them. Cheap does not exactly jump to the tip of my tongue...
Old 06-26-2011, 12:35 AM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just priced out the rear section on carenwal, 2900 for the rear section. Painted black. If you're looking into a GMG RSR bar, its worth the extra couple hundred for OEM, but then there is the welding the plates to the chassis, I don't know how much people are paying for installation of these things.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:50 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by aero997c2s
Just priced out the rear section on carenwal, 2900 for the rear section. Painted black. If you're looking into a GMG RSR bar, its worth the extra couple hundred for OEM, but then there is the welding the plates to the chassis, I don't know how much people are paying for installation of these things.
The RSS bar that mounts to the shock towers is $1495. The Club Sport is $1500 more. I like to buy the best as much as the next person but the Club Sport might be over kill for me. Only have so much in the budget and I need wheels, tires, rear toe links, labor to swap out gt3 lower control arms and so forth. However I'm now looking into the Club Sport and will try to find out what the bracket welding will cost.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:55 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Less Fountain racing, more Porsche racing ...
That's what I've been doing....but I've got a cup car sitting over the water on my lift that needs to be run from time to time. Why don't you buy my boat so I can get a club sport bar and some cheater suspension.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:49 AM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the RSS 928 bar (shock towers and through the floor rather than seatbelt mounts). I can't say enough good things about it, from build quality to belt mount points to ability to mount a camera in the center. I can move both driver and passenger seats all the way back (no tilt on buckets for me). I'd do it again in a heartbeat, very good product.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:15 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by brim
I'm running the RSS 928 bar (shock towers and through the floor rather than seatbelt mounts). I can't say enough good things about it, from build quality to belt mount points to ability to mount a camera in the center. I can move both driver and passenger seats all the way back (no tilt on buckets for me). I'd do it again in a heartbeat, very good product.
Thanks Brim...yeah I've seen the RSS bar in person and it seems very sturdy with perfect fit and finish and a pretty decent price too.

Quick Reply: GMG & RSS Roll Bar Comparisions...Need Help.