Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche refuses LSD repair under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
If you're considering buying Guard discs for you LSD, please don't let a dealer install them or set up the diff. They screw them up everytime. Either send the entire diff to Matt, or use one of his approved shops for the install. It's critical to the performance and lifetime of the diff.....

Also of importance: drain the trans oil after your first track outing or hard testing. The new clutches contain graphite and some will come loose when first driven. Also use the best quality oil you an find (or argue about) and never add a friction modifyer.....
Agree. Every differential is different - the spider gear case varies in depth and the replacement clutch thicknesses need to correspond to ensure you have the correct preload.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
If you're considering buying Guard discs for you LSD, please don't let a dealer install them or set up the diff. They screw them up everytime. Either send the entire diff to Matt, or use one of his approved shops for the install. It's critical to the performance and lifetime of the diff.....

Also of importance: drain the trans oil after your first track outing or hard testing. The new clutches contain graphite and some will come loose when first driven. Also use the best quality oil you an find (or argue about) and never add a friction modifyer.....
I was planning to send Guard the entire thing.
The dealers can't handle just pulling them out and putting them back? That's sad.
Seems like the smart plan is to not rely on the dealers for much of anything.

Thanks, and thanks for the head's-up on swapping fluid afterward.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
I was planning to send Guard the entire thing.
The dealers can't handle just pulling them out and putting them back? That's sad.
Seems like the smart plan is to not rely on the dealers for much of anything.

Thanks, and thanks for the head's-up on swapping fluid afterward.
I would let Champion handle a Dif swap. But other than that its off to Sharky since I'm in the bay.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 PM
myGT3RS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who would you recommend in so cal
Old 05-25-2011, 10:36 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I would let Champion handle a Dif swap. But other than that its off to Sharky since I'm in the bay.
Champion can surely do it! I've seen them take engines apart and put it back together Their custom productions are impressive
Old 05-25-2011, 11:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Last dealer visit, 9K miles 1 year old:

I go: "CEL is on"
They go: "We have to charge $100.00 to check it because of all the mods."
I go: FU: "I only got Sharky, bought from you, after Ti one broke."
They go: "You put race gas in, cat broke, you pay."
I go: FU: "never seen race gas, 93 only."
They go: "We want the factory rep from Germany to look at your car, can you come back tomorrow?"
I go: "FU, nice knowing you."

Germany will deny anything if they see my car and they directly confirm the car is tracked and note VIN. I don't want to lie to dealer, so I always tell them I track the car, but if unrelated to track (abuse, like overrevs) they should fix and shut up.

Porsche the best cars for on track, just forget warranty.
I hear about good accomodating dealers out there, just have not found one yet.

Someone should hold them accountable for only releasing only marketing material showing the cars on track, then void ALL warranty.

Kinda like when Volkwagen was advertising the Touareg with a gigantic airstream trailer behind it. Guy bought it for that same trailer, car broke, he filed suit and won.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't send to them for an oil change. F*ck them all bunch of a**holes.
Same happened with my BMW. 51k miles I waited until a few little things happened to bring it in and fix all at once. I got the answer, your car is out of warranty.
Me: I have extended warranty
them: we dont cover trim
Me: the problem was here before, I reported to you last time, and you tried to say that was normal
Them: we won't cover
Me: Ok, after buying 5 cars in 1 month from you guys, next time you will see this POS will be inside your show room, make sure you have insurance A*****
Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Last dealer visit, 9K miles 1 year old:

I go: "CEL is on"
They go: "We have to charge $100.00 to check it because of all the mods."
I go: FU: "I only got Sharky, bought from you, after Ti one broke."
They go: "You put race gas in, cat broke, you pay."
I go: FU: "never seen race gas, 93 only."
They go: "We want the factory rep from Germany to look at your car, can you come back tomorrow?"
I go: "FU, nice knowing you."

Germany will deny anything if they see my car and they directly confirm the car is tracked and note VIN. I don't want to lie to dealer, so I always tell them I track the car, but if unrelated to track (abuse, like overrevs) they should fix and shut up.

Porsche the best cars for on track, just forget warranty.
I hear about good accomodating dealers out there, just have not found one yet.

Someone should hold them accountable for only releasing only marketing material showing the cars on track, then void ALL warranty.

Kinda like when Volkwagen was advertising the Touareg with a gigantic airstream trailer behind it. Guy bought it for that same trailer, car broke, he filed suit and won.
I have my own reservations, but to be fair, I have a tracked 911 (all but the first 500 miles or so) and yet Porsche has warranted a couple of high dollar (over $2K) issues after being fully informed of the track driving.

ps. I remember the Touareg thing. Hilarious. And it was someone with a title like "national president of the airstream owners' association" that bought a Touareg only to find he couldn't tow his Airstream which was all but identical to the one in the print ad. Just priceless. I don't think he broke anything, he just got the owner's manual and read the tongue load limit and realized the trailer was inside 7700lb, but the tongue was north of the 660lb limit. Porsche and VW have since revised both those numbers and the way those numbers are published and communicated to the customer. Still, if you're el Presidente, what a tool to not do the research and the math.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Me: Ok, after buying 5 cars in 1 month from you guys, next time you will see this POS will be inside your show room, make sure you have insurance A*****
LMAO!!! Quote of the day!!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I have my own reservations, but to be fair, I have a tracked 911 (all but the first 500 miles or so) and yet Porsche has warranted a couple of high dollar (over $2K) issues after being fully informed of the track driving.
Same here, Ti Exhaust, Transcooler valve, O2 sensor. But now they don't want to do Cat.
The problem is when Dealer decides to go play cop and show the car to factory. Just fix it if it broke and had nothing to do with tracking the car and don't start screwing me at $100.00 per hour to go look at the car because of "all the mods" when the only mod I have is the Shary bacause I wanted to spare us all the greaf of handing me a new Ti exhaust every 3k miles. Ok and it sounds better.

I don't think he broke anything, he just got the owner's manual and read the tongue load limit and realized the trailer was inside 7700lb, but the tongue was north of the 660lb limit. Porsche and VW have since revised both those numbers and the way those numbers are published and communicated to the customer. Still, if you're el Presidente, what a tool to not do the research and the math.
Ok, I made some of the Touareg stuff up due to my CRS condition, but I call them both false advertisement. Show the car do one thing in ad, print in manual you have no warranty once you do thing in ad.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:09 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Eddie, call me when you do the gone in 60 seconds parking job in show room in reverse. I wanna see this.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:31 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a lot of bitterness in some of the posts to this topic. I am sorry that your dealers are not like the customer-friendly dealer in my area. Limited slip replaced under warranty, no problem. (the replacement didn't last very long, but that is Porsche's fault, not the dealers). NO BS about having an RS wing, NO BS about having a Sharkwerks bypass, and NO BS about tracking the car. (A large photo of my car on track at Laguna Seca is on their service office wall). I can only assume that the dealer wants my business in the future, which I will be happy to provide. By contrast, I can only assume that some of the dealers out there don't care about future business from their enthusiast customers - the type that post on a Rennlist forum. And that's truly a shame.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

I guess it depends on your relationship with the dealer as mentioned. I didn't have any problems in the past and hoping I won't in the future...
Old 05-26-2011, 01:40 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer is good with the exception of trying the back pressure no rms repair line... They rebuilt a diff under CPO in a previous car, they fixed the rms and generally they take very good care of the enthusiast crowd... They only see my car for warranty work and they do not seem to hold that against me.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:25 AM
almeena58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mainly, what could damage the LSD and if damaged what are the parts need to be changed and the cost.

It seems a serious issue with Porsche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WciqM6efdtg

Quick Reply: Porsche refuses LSD repair under warranty