Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche refuses LSD repair under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:47 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 996GT3 factory diff was rebuilt under CPO warranty... a couple years back...
just sayin
If dealer wants to make it happen, they can.
what if they said the sways were stock -- it would have been covered...

All BS

it is a BS diff and BS warranty policy... sorry you are going through it.

I would get a guard and be done with it and enjoy your car.

giken... well... would not be my first choice.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:56 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do yourself a favor an pull that bitch out and send it to Matt @ Guard ... consider the cash outlay mod money for improving your cars performance.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:02 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifton
The reality of ownership is that the performance of the factory LSD will degrade with track use. Using a GT3 on track means the LSD becomes an accelerated wear item along with brakes/rotors, brake fluid, clutch, tires, oil etc. Cord a set of tires or use pads to the backing plate at the track and laughter would follow the words "warranty claim". I'm confused why the LSD would be viewed or treated any different.
I absolutely agree that LSD is a wear item, but this does not change the fact that the part wears out in just 10-15 DE events. Most of us can't even drive the cars 80% potential, let alone destroy the LSD so soon.

For us DE guys that do not actually compete in racing series the LSD should last at least 40 DE days with the stock unit before a rebuild becomes necessary.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini
You are right 100%

But...

Porsche advertises their cars with videos on race tracks. They post Nurburgring lap times. They brag about the homologation for certain races. They use the "track ready" as a pedigree to sell their cars. For reference, Ferrari does NOT do it, neither does Lambo, and so on. At least not to the extent that Porsche does.
Yeah, but we all know that is marketing. My sales man said that the GT3 is a P*ssy magnet....I've yet to find that to be true. And it is perfectly clear why Ferrari does not market their cars as "track" weapons, because they know their owners keep their cars parked in the garage so as to keep the miles off them (just ribbing here).

To your point, even the owners manual flirts with the notion that the GT3 is a track car. Although it slams the door shut on page 4 under Safety notes! - "Your vehicle warranty does not cover use in competition, racing or track use or other events. Component and/or parts that fail during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) will not be covered by the manufacturer new car limited warranty or the pre-owened vehicle warranty."

Even though Porsche entered a street legal RS in the 24hr Nurburgring to show how track ready the GT3 is, it is a looooong stretch to say they should warranty a car that sees track duty.

Last edited by Clifton; 05-25-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
I absolutely agree that LSD is a wear item, but this does not change the fact that the part wears out in just 10-15 DE events. Most of us can't even drive the cars 80% potential, let alone destroy the LSD so soon.

For us DE guys that do not actually compete in racing series the LSD should last at least 40 DE days with the stock unit before a rebuild becomes necessary.
Oh agree....it infuriates me to think that the LSD, in a Porsche of all cars, goes kaput when put to good use. But how many days do rotors last at the track before they need to be changed (10 days?). How long do factory pads last (1 day?). How about factory brake fluid (couple of laps?). What about the thin surface of the factory paint? Anyone could pick a bone to chew on how many days something should last at the track, but should any of that really be covered under warranty?

Yes, it disappoints me to know the LSD is a dud in a car like the GT3. The fact of the matter remains that LSD in question was used for a competition event and that voids coverage by Porsche's warranty. Once the street only cars begin to see failures, self included here, I'm all in for the lynching.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:38 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the excuse i got from porsche north america (i escalated because my dealership couldnt do anything about it): "you must have driven your GT3 on ice and one wheel hit a patch a ice while the other wheel was on solid ground." idiots, i never drove that car in the rain let alone ice/snow.

needless to say, i told them to go f themselves and shove their ****ty LSD up their you know what.

so i pulled that POS out and sent it to guards for a rebuild. after that, life was great!!
Old 05-25-2011, 06:56 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

the 991 Porsche GT3 better be good or they will feel the wrath of previous disappointed customers.

can you believe the 2011 4.0RS will still have a dog **** LSD? Talk about stupid.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:07 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Oh agree....it infuriates me to think that the LSD, in a Porsche of all cars, goes kaput when put to good use. But how many days do rotors last at the track before they need to be changed (10 days?). How long do factory pads last (1 day?). How about factory brake fluid (couple of laps?). What about the thin surface of the factory paint? Anyone could pick a bone to chew on how many days something should last at the track, but should any of that really be covered under warranty?
We all know and expect tires and brakes wear fast on the track. We do accept them as track consumables. LSD is supposed to last longer. Like you said, if the OEM brake discs last 10 DE events and the LSD lasts about the same, what does that tell you? Crappy engineering.

All the parts on a car are consumables, including the coilovers, and even the engine itself. The important part is "to what degree".
Old 05-25-2011, 07:11 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these LSD's can die from just street use... mine went south after 19k miles of street use, zero track time. and if you do track the car, you can kiss your diff good bye after about 4 light to moderate HPDE's.

i had a BMW E46 M3 that had a mix of track and daily driven use, about 30k miles worth and hundreds of track days! the diff in that car was perfect when i sold it.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Perhaps I'm alone in my thinking...
You are not. I agree 100%.

Comical to see somebody with an avatar photo of their car with aftermarket parts, clearly in competition, complaining about warranty coverage. And somebody suggesting everybody band together to seek legal recourse.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
You are not. I agree 100%.

Comical to see somebody with an avatar photo of their car with aftermarket parts, clearly in competition, complaining about warranty coverage. And somebody suggesting everybody band together to seek legal recourse.
If I am not mistaken, I seem to remember seeing a Porsche ad with a car on a race course, driven by a qualified race driver. If you can find a single ad for a 911 not showing it in some form or another of being driven in a way that would collect tickets from local law enforcement, you are a better man than me.

Anyone can enjoy their cars however they feel they want to so long as it does not cause any issues to anyone else. If some of us want to track, DE, AX, etc., so be it.

Our issue is with the way Porsche positions this vehicle and then does not stand behind sub par parts for BS reasons such as wings, sway bars, etc. I hope anyone here can see that benefits all owners of Porsche's. Not just those of us that use them as advertised.

Stu
Old 05-25-2011, 08:02 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I typically own cars long enough to have to have the limited slips rebuilt/replaced. Every car I've ever owned has been tracked (not the RS - yet). While none of them have had the power of the RS, I've driven each of those previous cars to their, or my own, limits - whichever came first - over their lifetimes. In all that time, I've only ever had one LSD fail. That was in a car (1988 MR2 Supercharged) with over 80K miles of use/abuse (after the HP and torque were increased from stock by nearly 50%).

If Guard can do it, Porsche can, or could have spec'd it. I find it unconscionable for Porsche to stick a crap differential in their GT cars. Doing this correctly in the first place would have cost them a fraction of what it will cost me to 'fix'.

That said, my plan is to wait for the inevitable failure and get a Guard. If I'm lucky, Porsche will do the R & R of the Guard under warranty.

It should work out for both of us - I'd get the labor for free on a product that works correctly and Porsche would get another reason/excuse for not honoring a warranty on their product.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:07 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smf32s
If I am not mistaken, I seem to remember seeing a Porsche ad with a car on a race course, driven by a qualified race driver. If you can find a single ad for a 911 not showing it in some form or another of being driven in a way that would collect tickets from local law enforcement, you are a better man than me.
Well, there is their new campaign. Maybe that's the justification...
http://www.adweek.com/video/porsche-versatile-130663
Old 05-25-2011, 08:30 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're considering buying Guard discs for you LSD, please don't let a dealer install them or set up the diff. They screw them up everytime. Either send the entire diff to Matt, or use one of his approved shops for the install. It's critical to the performance and lifetime of the diff.....

Also of importance: drain the trans oil after your first track outing or hard testing. The new clutches contain graphite and some will come loose when first driven. Also use the best quality oil you an find (or argue about) and never add a friction modifyer.....
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope Porsche uses the 9A1 in the 991 GT3 and an open diff, this would end the reliability problems with leaking coolant lines, oil leaks from FMS and RMS, and worn out obsolete LSD. They could develop one of those smart stability controls like the MP2-12C.

My 996 GT3 first diff was covered under warranty. A friend's 997 GT3 just got his replaced under warranty, he took it out anyway for one of those OSGiken SuperLock just recently (Copans did the work).

Quick Reply: Porsche refuses LSD repair under warranty