Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche refuses LSD repair under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:57 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Porsche refuses LSD repair under warranty

Well, my LSD went south and I took the car into Tischer or Porsche of Silver Spring in MD and they told me it was in good shape and refused to go any further with it. They never even bothered to truly check the torque specs on it which I thought was pretty bad. After that, I called Porsche of Annapolis and they had a very knowledgeable guy named GH Sharp as the service rep and he was very good to work with and said bring it on over.

Well I did and they got it apart and found the LSD was truly toast. The bad part is that Porsche immediately asked were any aftermarket parts on the car. I only have one, a set of GMG sway bars. The car is still under original warranty until November of this year and then CPOed for another 2 years after that.

Porsche now claims that the sway bars are putting too much stress on the LSD and that is why I wore it out. All I do is Autocross the car. I am amazed that they refused it and thought I would put this out for comment or suggestions as to any possible recourse. The car is a 2007 with about 9500 miles on it. I am the second owner.

Thanks for any input.

Stu
Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by smf32s
Well, my LSD went south and I took the car into Tischer or Porsche of Silver Spring in MD and they told me it was in good shape and refused to go any further with it. They never even bothered to truly check the torque specs on it which I thought was pretty bad. After that, I called Porsche of Annapolis and they had a very knowledgeable guy named GH Sharp as the service rep and he was very good to work with and said bring it on over.

Well I did and they got it apart and found the LSD was truly toast. The bad part is that Porsche immediately asked were any aftermarket parts on the car. I only have one, a set of GMG sway bars. The car is still under original warranty until November of this year and then CPOed for another 2 years after that.

Porsche now claims that the sway bars are putting too much stress on the LSD and that is why I wore it out. All I do is Autocross the car. I am amazed that they refused it and thought I would put this out for comment or suggestions as to any possible recourse. The car is a 2007 with about 9500 miles on it. I am the second owner.

Thanks for any input.

Stu
Sway bars. That's a new one. Porsche service supervisors have no shame -- they're prepared to act like fools rather than stand behind their cars. I guess they take out their backbone when they get the ethical bypass surgery.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I feel your pain. Mine went toast on after ~ 4k miles on my 2010 GT3. I'd read on this (or other) forum that a few lucky owners had Porsche warranty the replacement. I knew I wanted the Guard rebuild, so I asked my dealership's service manager if he would simply warranty the labor cost for removal and re-installation. He gave me an emphatic NO.

Get Matt to rebuild yours to personalized specs that suit your driving style and the tracks you run on. You won't regret it!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:09 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Dear smf32s,

Welcome to the club!

Best Regards,
Doug N.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:12 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Yep same here....my 2009 Carrera S came with a LSD and it is toast i feel...never got it apart....but the dealer says it is fine but would not take it apart and Porsche would not auth for the dealer to work any further on it. Dealer said Porsche will just claim track abuse. I kept on and on and the service manager finally said Porsche does not care about you and your cars LSD and if they replaced it you will be back with the same issue in a few months.

Porsche tried to not auto a cracked weld on my stock beards because I have tubi mufflers on the car.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Maybe Porsche should start advertising their "Ultimate Track Weapon" as the "Ultimate Street Car Creampuff" for little old ladies going to church on Sunday's! I would have understood having me pay some but to not cover it at all seems ridiculous.

I guess you live an learn. I wonder what my warranty will not cover next. Why bother paying the extra for a CPO when they look for every excuse to not cover things.

Arghhh!!!!

Stu
Old 05-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by smf32s
Why bother paying the extra for a CPO when they look for every excuse to not cover things.
I think of the CPO as an insurance policy to cover costs I can't justify risking without some degree of protection. Of course, if they fold like cheap suit when a known LSD weakness arises, can they be trusted at all? What's the reply when an engine fails? "Too many radio presets"? Pathetic.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I wonder when they going to put warning stickers on pcars "car is not for offroad use". That'll pretty take care much of any liability. Mike
Old 05-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche just needs to source Guards LSDs. Sure it would cost more to do but then they won't have to worry as much about these warranty issues.

They should offer a beefed warranty on the Dif. I know I would pay extra money for a warranty on the Dif if I tracked my car.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No surprise.

But the lesson is for any "major" requested warranty work that could be track related, best to remove any incriminating evidence beforehand, if reasonably possible.

And with LSD specifically, since oem replacement would quicly fail again in same manner, not a lot of value to seek replacement under warranty. Just buying another 10 track days max. Imho. Plus, guards with increased ramps so superior anyway, one of the best bang-for-the-buck mods on these cars anyway.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i went in for final warranty inspection last month before warranty expired and the dealer said the diff was "slightly" worn.

because the car has 29000 miles they said it was a wear and tear item.

I was not surprised.

no warranty.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:49 PM
jonmacs22
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand. There are at least four people in here with LSD issues which are being refused under warranty. I'm willing to bet there are probably another 200 cases of such scenarios. You guys own these cars, obviously have disposable income, pay the retainer of a soild lawfirm, sign their contingency agreement (usually 1/3rd in a case such as this) and proceed with a lawsuit. Porsche will settle in no time due to the horrible press of "world's "best" sports car cannot withstand spirited driving" and then will not cover warranty of broken parts.

If the BMW and Volvo communities can pull it off, how can this one not???
Old 05-25-2011, 01:53 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
Plus, guards with increased ramps so superior anyway, one of the best bang-for-the-buck mods on these cars anyway.
I agree but I am already into Porsche of Annapolis for the tear down of the unit to diagnose. I also have an event the first weekend in June in DE and Matt at Guard is out of the parts at the moment.

If I had suspected that Porsche would not stand behind their product as advertised, I would have just gone to my race shop in the area and had them handle it. It would have been cheaper and probably better cared for.

Next time it goes, and I'm sure it will, the Guard unit is going right in! Porsche should be ashamed of themselves for putting such a weak link in the car but you only need to look to the RMS issues for that answer.

Stu
Old 05-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

The LSD clutches are wear items. While I agree that they wear out prematurely, I can certainly see how the dealer may refuse this as a warranty item. It all boils down to your relationship with them and how much they want to work with you.

In any case, why would you want the clutches replaced with OEM? They will wear out again. How valuable is your time? Go with Guard.

Sway bars? Yeah - that's a bunch of bologna.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Serge944

In any case, why would you want the clutches replaced with OEM? They will wear out again. How valuable is your time? Go with Guard.
Matt at Guard is out of parts to rebuild for a week or so longer and I am under time constraints. I hope to get another year or two out of the factory units and then go with the Guard LSD.

Stu

Quick Reply: Porsche refuses LSD repair under warranty