Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS 4.0 PTS Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS 4.0 PTS Confusion

I am trying to get some clarity on paint to sample availability on U.S. cars. I have read varying reports on R'list and elsewhere on the topic. My dealer is high volume, my salesman is a 20 +yr vet as well as a former Porsche employee and his PAG contact is intimately familiar with special requests.

They are telling me it isn't available. Period. I am aware that late production cycle cars may become available in PTS (and there have been numerous discussions/posts about that), but they are indicating that ain't gonna happen either.

What gives? Does anybody have any certainty on this ? Is there another avenue of any sort ? I don't want to throw in the towel on this yet.

As an aside, my two other requests were a graphics color change (no) and factory paint on the lower rockers, as was available on .1 RS orders (again no).

Any insight or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 05:56 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only speak for Germany, however, I believe this might be indicative generally. There have been neither confirmations for PTS specified requests yet, nor has there been a confirmation that there will nor that there will not be a PTS option on RS4.0.
The dealers have been advised to place the confirmed production allocations to September in order to maximise the chance of having PTS.
My own opinion is that Porsche thought it would allow the PTS as usual, but given the demographic segment buying RS4.0, it has had a very high number of requests, all being pushed towards the end of production.
Allowing PTS might make it a logistical nightmare, allowing it only for cars with late production might disappoint the owners of early produced cars. Hence I think - no PTS this time.
Looking forward to info others have gathered,
w
Old 05-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Thanks Wurlie. This seems generally consistent with what I hear. Begs the question as to whether you sit tight and wait until the end of the cycle in hopes of the option opening up. I am surprised there is not more chatter on this topic as nobody else has anything to say here. Maybe the world is happy with white or black...I'm actually looking for a shade of gray, literally in fact.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I was told no PTS. My local dealer inquired for me.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

The only market where PTS has been reported available for the 4.0 is the UK. Perhaps that was something negotiated by Porsche UK for its few allocations. The other place expected to be allowed is the Middle East market, but who knows. On the recent gt2RS, PCNA also failed to negotiate the PTS option for its US customers with PAG. z356 (Carmel)
Old 05-25-2011, 09:27 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Regarding painting the rockers (and or spliter) that is easy and cheaply done locally. I took them off (my 3RS) and my local body shop shot the Aqua Blue for $400. Porsche would charge you $2000 or something equally profitable. They do look better painted (and then of course must be clear filmed).
Old 05-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember one PTS GT2RS in the UAE or Kuwait.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:59 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

A guy over on 6speed in TX said he is taking a later delivery on his 4.0 since he was allowed PTS, hasn't released what color he will be getting though.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aero997c2s
A guy over on 6speed in TX said he is taking a later delivery on his 4.0 since he was allowed PTS, hasn't released what color he will be getting though.
Right now he is just taking a gamble. Currently, there is no PTS option in the order system regardless of build date. When he gets 30-45 days before his build date when he has to lock his order in, if it isn't in there at that time then he is SOL.

Keep in mind that the RS 4.0 is a limited edition serialized car. It is not surprising if PTS is not an option. They never offered it on their other serialized cars: 40 Jahre, Sport Classic or the new Speedster.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:30 AM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Ahhh didn't know all that. What about 2RS? Wasn't that a serialized car? There are 3 examples of PTS for those.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

are you not going to buy the car if PTS is not allowed?
if your buying decision is independent of PTS, then it simply means PTS isn't very important to you thus, why bother.

PTS only makes sense if you waited all your life up to this point waiting for this specific color... then sure, $20k, $50k or even $100 for the paint is worth it. (just the paint, not the car price). for those wavering b/n blue A, blue B, green A, purple C colors.... what's the point?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:33 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

The UK PTS option on the local configurator was claimed a mistake by a regional head in Germany.
Given that GT2RS had exceptions, we might be surprised with RS4.0.
Best, w

Quick Reply: RS 4.0 PTS Confusion