Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 vs GT3 RS VIDEO - Pacific Raceways 05/18/11

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:22 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3 vs GT3 RS VIDEO - Pacific Raceways 05/18/11

I had a great time with Chris' German lapping day on 05/18/11 at Pacific Raceways. It was my first track event with the 997.2 GT3. I picked up the car from Fordahl Motorsports - big shout out to Greg Fordahl and Randy for setting up my car's alignment and corner balancing. Also to Aldo @ Suncoast for his great service and pricing. Also to Sharkwerks for the center muffler bypass pipe - I had so many complements about the exhaust note!

Too bad I didn't get my roll bar in time to have that for this track day and the 05/19/11 trackday with PCA-PNWR. So I was using my OEM 3 point harness with the GT2 seats. Love the seats - they're beautiful and glad I stepped up and bought a pair. OEM Euro CS roll bar to come, hopefully by June 11th, 2011 for the next PR event.

Without further ado, here's a video clip I made from iMovie with my GoPro HD. This clip was me playing with a 997.2 GT3 RS.

In the morning of the event, I met a Peter with a 997.2 GT3 RS and he was very experienced and quick! Showed me what was possible with the car.

Sadly, I had a flat tire on my way to the track on 05/19. Had the car hauled off to have both tires replaced. After replacing, I arrived in time for lunch at PR. However, I lost confidence in the car driving with a blown rear for about a mile+ to get myself to the nearest gas station.

After arriving at the track, I thought my car was losing air on the rear RHS tire. I got it checked and yes, there was a lead in the core of the valve stem. So, we got that tightened and refilled with air. Trusting the car less now. Made it for one session for a check-ride with the B group and it was dreadful.

I didn't put in the ear piece and I struggled with getting comfortable with the car. I couldn't hear the instructor and I could tell he was a little worried (probably because I wasn't responsive to what he was saying), so I slowed down. I kept on leaning to his side and asking him to repeat himself while I was unsure of the car and trying to listen to him and letting other cars pass. I did a **** poor job and was not mentally prepared.

Luckily - my concern for the rear right tire was merited. I am still leaking air, though more slowly now. Any idea what it could be? Could I have damaged the TMPS / valve stem or something else when driving on a flat for a mile+? I need to bring it to a tire shop asap.

Anyways - beautiful weather and it was a blast! Had a chance to finally meet some RL's: Tom (tcsracing1) with his 997.1 GT3 RS and Keith with his 997.1 Cobalt Blue GT3. Great people and it was a fun 2nd day just hanging out.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 PM
ssort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SS, might i suggest to really get a feel for your car and all that it can do that you take it out for a DS day. much less pressure then a DE day and almost as much fun. if you are new to a GT3 or for that matter any P-car on the track it is worth every seccond. And if it rains it's even better to learn the ins and outs of your car.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:50 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's a DS day?
Old 05-21-2011, 01:55 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Ok never mind I assume you mean driving school
Old 05-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Ok never mind I assume you mean driving school
Thanks, I was trying to figure that out too
Old 05-21-2011, 07:05 PM
karmx7
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Steve,

It was really nice to meet you to although I'm sorry that you had the tire issues. I saw you folks working around the rear of the car and I wondered if you were having issues with the CL (I wouldn't have been any help with that). I was looking forward to seeing your car out there running.... love the sound of a GT3 at full song! Great video though and at least you got one good day in, you certainly remember your way around PR!

I didn't get a chance to introduce myself to Tom. I've got to say that Orange RS is spectacular! I've seen orange before but the color on that car is just electric and the wheels look fantastic too. It's now my new favorite RS color (truthfully I love them all!).

Keith
Old 05-21-2011, 10:10 PM
ssort
Rennlist Member

DS is Driver Skills days. PNWR-PCA does a great job of running them and we use them as an intro to DE days. Much better for newer folks to get a feel of their cars then risking all and that of others during a track day. here is the link to the DS site: http://www.pnwr.org/Track/driver_skills/default.asp
Old 05-22-2011, 12:05 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Sorry to have missed you guys at the chris' day... I was driving down to California to meet mooty otherwise I would have been there!
Old 05-22-2011, 01:18 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

smooth driving. me likey. yeah hate when something prior takes the fun out of it mentally. Been there done that. Mike
Old 05-22-2011, 03:22 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Nice driving! Sorry to hear about the flat and day 2. At least you had one really good day!!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:14 PM
C6 ZED
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RS Video Pacific Raceway

SSTHO
Nice video. Thanks for posting. Bummer about the flat tire.
How did you mount the GoPro without a roll cage or harness bar? Would appreciate a photo of it in the car if you can post. TIA.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:37 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SSTHO, your video brings back a lot of great memories from the past! It looks like not much has changed from the SIR days. Was the white RS Pat Ma from Vancouver, B.C.?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Was the white RS Pat Ma from Vancouver, B.C.?
Pat's RS is grey/red.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:36 PM
C6 ZED
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
... It looks like not much has changed from the SIR days.
Don't know when you were last there. The track is still the same configuration but many continuing improvements. The paddock was totally paved and new aluminum stands on the south side of the dragstrip added a few years ago, turn 2 sweeper is completely re-paved and is now smooth and very fast, the "wheel wrecker" hole at the side of the track between 3B and 4 has been filled in and repaved, . It looks like the access road into and out of the track might even get new pavement so hot tires don't pick up stones en route to get gas in Covington between sessions. All in all, Pacific Raceway is an excellent facility. Oh, and I almost forgot the most important upgrade: a new washroom behind the snack stand with flush toilets that work, hot water, soap and paper towels !

Do you call Mosport your home track now?
Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Stephen,

Glad to see you finally got you new ride out on the track for some fun. Too bad about the tire issue, hopefully you resolve the problem very soon.

Cheers

Russ

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 vs GT3 RS VIDEO - Pacific Raceways 05/18/11