Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 vs GT3 RS VIDEO - Pacific Raceways 05/18/11

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

ssort - thanks for the DS recommendation, I have not done DE for a couple of years. Focused on buying a home and other priorities (getting married) and I am ready to get back into DE's. I have probably done about ~30 DE's in my last 5 years. Certainly felt some rust, but open lapping days gives me enough time to figure things out. Going out with instructors always helps - at least I had the PCA insturctor show talk me though his laps on the 2nd day!

Keith - hope you're there in the next DE with PNWR. I am registered for Sat June 11th! Cobalt Blue is awesome on GT3s!

Mike - thanks! Looking forward to my road trip in a month or so!

Brian - PM sent, I forgot about the heated seats - I don't have those.

C6 ZED - sorry for my laziness. My GoPro HD came with a suction mount. I mounted it to the right of my rear view mirror. It sticks straight down and didn't have it fall off. I was trying a few things. Someone (could have been Keith?) had it suction mounted to the top of the rear view mirror. If I can do it, I KNOW it's not rocket science.

New facilities - restrooms means that my wife has one less excuse to not go now!

fc-racer - no, it was not Pat Ma.

Polarporsche - wish I could have made it with a Canadian group! PR is a great track - hope you'll have a chance to drive it someday.

The tire issue: at MCL Porsche and should be in good hands. Greg replaced the valve stem core event though he saw nothing wrong with it and he believes: "there must be a leak around the base gasket of the valve stem. The tire will need to be aired up to 45psi and dunked in a water tank to be certain. "
Old 05-24-2011, 01:33 AM
karmx7
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm debating the June 11th date as I'll likely have a conflict on the July event but even if I don't run I'll try to come down to say howdy!

I've tried two different mounting locations so far for the Go Pro; up high on the inside front windshield and off the inside rear window looking through the front windshield between the seats. I prefer the latter location so far as you can often see in the video the tachometer and digital speedometer. It allows you to get some comparison on your corner speed between laps plus you can also review your driving "technique".

Now that they have the software option to run the camera upside down it really makes things much easier to be creative.... I'm going to try some other views in the next events.

Keith
Old 05-24-2011, 04:26 PM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
I had a great time with Chris' German lapping day on 05/18/11 at Pacific Raceways.
Did not previously know of this track, and it looks like a fun drive thru the woods. Thx for sharing!

To help orient yourself for those watching the vid, below is the track map, as referenced on trackpedia:

Name:  Pacificraceway.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  11.4 KB
Old 05-24-2011, 06:31 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Great track map! I hit just over 150mph at turn 1 (back off when I see 150mph, enough for me!) Takes some getting used to turning and setting up for turn 2.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Tom Pritchett
Advanced

The May 19th event was so good. It was warm, dry and great! Track was hot and fast. I am sorry that you had a tire issue. I have put in the request for great weather for the June 11th day. It is almost sold out. I believe that B is sold out and just a little room left in the others.

Yes, I'll bring ice cream again.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:27 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Hey Steve, it was great to finally meet you at the track!

your car looks great with the new stance and from the look of the video it feels good too

it was super sunny and i had way too much sun so i had to split after my session but hope to see you around again.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:32 PM
micahbones
Racer

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Great track map! I hit just over 150mph at turn 1 (back off when I see 150mph, enough for me!) Takes some getting used to turning and setting up for turn 2.
Keep your boot in it, speed increases downforce!
Old 05-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Tom Pritchett
Advanced

Yes, you certainly want to be throttle neutral or even accelerating through turn 1. Don't let the weight transfer forward at all in 1 or 7. Very fun.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 vs GT3 RS VIDEO - Pacific Raceways 05/18/11