Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Gonna try a Cup Car tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
You think an RS flywheel is loud? Just wait. The sequential makes more racket than the engine.
Is that transmission a straight-cut dog?
Old 05-21-2011, 12:56 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Is that transmission a straight-cut dog?
Yes it is. Lots of flywheel chatter and gear whine.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:13 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it ... I used to drive straight cut gears on the street. People would tell me all the time, that my car was broken, this and that. The best part was pulling to a red light and someone with windows down breathing, I mean coughing straight methanol ... LOL
Old 05-21-2011, 01:44 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
You think an RS flywheel is loud? Just wait. The sequential makes more racket than the engine.
+1

997 Cup is completely different from street RS. Two completely different animals.

Yes, you need ear plugs.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:39 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,266 Likes on 611 Posts

the transmission really isn't that hard, sequentials are a lot easier in my opinion.

no abs- hit HARD initially, release progressively and immediately

cup car 101
Old 05-21-2011, 07:53 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope they put the auto-blipper in for you!
Old 05-21-2011, 08:01 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Report on Cup Experience - written by a novice so be nice all you racers!!

Today at Dubai Autodrome National Circuit I was in the fortunate position to test drive a 2007 Cup Car. The car comes with championship pedigree having just won the UAE GT Championship in its class.

The car is owned by John of MSW-Dubai. Main reason for the test was I am seriously considering buying the car. A huge shout to John and his crew for doing this as he mainly wanted me to experience the car and there is no pressure from him for me to buy his car.

I took along my RS for good (or bad) measure.

The car had its best slicks on but they were near the end of life before we began and at their end after! Yes it is was my first experience in car with slicks.
I did a few laps in my RS just to get up to speed and John did the same in the Cup.

First off he took me out as a passenger and we did about five laps. He wanted to show me what can be possible and how the sequential worked etc. As I clambered in the smell of fuel and raw race car struck me. It was flippin hot too with outside temp at 43 deg C – goodness knows what track temp was. As I fastened myself in I took on the view with the Motec and all the switches and data stuff. Amazing. Off we went for a few hot laps. The noise was amazing. The immediate thing I noticed was the rear grip – it just felt like the rear was digging in. Then there was the way the car changed direction with ease – even round fast corners whereas my RS front would want to push. Braking was incredible.

After a brief stop it was my turn. After getting sorted with the seat I pressed the starter and after a couple of attempts she started. Before I started the car I did press the clutch and noticed it had little travel and bite. I pulled the gear lever back firmly and 1st came up on the dash. I revved her a bit and let the clutch out too quickly and she stalled . Started her again but this time held the clutch a bit and away we went all luvly dubly . Down the pit straight and out onto the circuit.

Changing gear up was no problemo with a firm pull, just listen to the engine and you know when to. Braking was just how I hoped it would be – BANG stamp on the pedal and then gradually lift off helping turn her in. Changing down gear took a bit longer getting dialled in – John wanted me to use the clutch – it was just the timing of it all – brake hard, clutch, change, clutch etc. I did down change without the clutch a couple of times and it was fine. Also I had to learn quickly which gear to use for each part of the track. I found that if you got the speed right going in (slower rather than faster) you could get on the gas earlier – literally floor the accelerator pedal and ping – out you went of the corner – the grip was amazing – no rear squiggles at all. I had one moment going into turn one where the back started to come round but I saved it and impressed John!

I started to get into a groove and found the car just got better and better. I started to find my flow and though it was my first time in the car I felt very at ease in it. Braking in this car is just a pleasure. You can keep braking with all the feel through your foot letting you make the slightest of steering adjustments and feeling the car move about in a controlled way was confidence inspiring. Coming out of the corners and flooring the throttle was a pleasure too – especially considering there are no electronics involved. WOW.

Steering was very direct and precise. A lot of feel too. Suspension I did not notice - which tells me it was doing its job - it even glided over the kerbs.

I did not count the laps but I think it was 8. Not too many but it felt like a load and gave me an excellent impression.

The overall feeling I have is with some more time me and this baby could rock and roll – I really did click with it – and considering I was a fair bit apprehensive about it all I am very happy. A car I feel that would be very rewarding and make me very happy and thats the story i'm telling the wife .

Now what to do…..
Old 05-21-2011, 08:40 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mate, congrats on what sounds like a successful day. Its a privilege just to drive such a machine.

Would you say there is any resemblance to your RS? What if you put slicks on it?

If you do buy, will you try and race straight away in GTB when the season starts in the autumn? Reason why I am asking is because I've been looking at a couple of the Cups as well - we seem to be fortunate that the cars themselves are selling at "this feels like stealing" prices. But being able to afford the full season including support, entry fees, consumables, rebuilds etc is a whole different story...

We missed you @ Yas last night - good fun but a bit too crowded...
Old 05-21-2011, 09:40 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Thank you for posting!

I was always curious how driving (Not racing!) the CUP would be and as a fellow DE'er very interesting you read you first impression.
I knew off course, lighter, more grip, more direct and noisy, but you decribed it very well in perspective of coming out of well setup RS

Well done.
Now as to what to do....
-Drive RS on street, to track put on helmet and go. You can do by yourself.
-CUP takes some organising to get car there with people to support you = work? Or bliss?
Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 AM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by bmardini
Mate, congrats on what sounds like a successful day. Its a privilege just to drive such a machine.

Would you say there is any resemblance to your RS? What if you put slicks on it?

If you do buy, will you try and race straight away in GTB when the season starts in the autumn? Reason why I am asking is because I've been looking at a couple of the Cups as well - we seem to be fortunate that the cars themselves are selling at "this feels like stealing" prices. But being able to afford the full season including support, entry fees, consumables, rebuilds etc is a whole different story...

We missed you @ Yas last night - good fun but a bit too crowded...
Thank you! We need to talk.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:55 AM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thank you for posting!

I was always curious how driving (Not racing!) the CUP would be and as a fellow DE'er very interesting you read you first impression.
I knew off course, lighter, more grip, more direct and noisy, but you decribed it very well in perspective of coming out of well setup RS

Well done.
Now as to what to do....
-Drive RS on street, to track put on helmet and go. You can do by yourself.
-CUP takes some organising to get car there with people to support you = work? Or bliss?
Pete - pleasure dear fellow.

I know what my heart is telling me to do but I am gonna mull things over for a couple of days.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:09 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So that's why you didn't make it yesterday!

Nice write up... Sounds like it did not take long for you to get hooked

GLWW (Good Luck With the Wife!)
Old 05-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Great write up! Keep us posted on what you decide. Be sure you are fully aware of the operating costs of a Cup. The cost of the car itself is only part of the equation. Tires, brakes, support, prep, maintenance, re-builds (tranny.. especially if you don't use clutch.. sequentials are pretty delicate creatures, motor... you can go about 60-80 hrs is your simply doing DEs. Racing... I'd say 40-50. The goal is to rebuild before a major issue, as this keep the cost down. If you put too many hrs before a build and something happens, rebuild cost goes up exponentially). If you are aware of these costs and it's okay and manageable. I'd say get the Cup. It will make you a better driver. Then after a couple years, you can either race or go back to a street car. But it's worth the life experience and you'll be a lot faster. Few get to enjoy driving true race cars and if you've got the $$$ and are a car-nut, seem like a good use of time and $$ for the memories.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:32 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Great read! Thanks for your impressions.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:01 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts
Default to cup or not to cup......

3 options

1. 996 Cup and keep RS
2. 997 Cup and sell RS
3. Keep RS and throw for full suspension, track exhaust, slicks, quick release wheel, seats and light weight doors.

#3 will have your car feel less like a pig and keep you entertained. Especially with a license plate.
Gut the sucker and run with 996 Cups all day long.

#2 is an opportunity to experience the latest greatest at speed. But you need to ask yourself how many times a year will you use it, who is going to crew it, how much are willing to spend to upkeep it and how will you transport and store it? Track toy or race entry?
You most likey will sell the RS as you wont bother using it on track anymore and you will want something easier to DD for groceries that gives you a break from the track car atomosphere.

#1 is a little bit of both worlds. You can enjoy/save the RS for the street and pound the hell of the 996 Cup on track. Damage a 996 Cup on track and no big deal, damage your RS on track and you feel horrible. Depends how protective you are over your RS.

Im currently practicing #3. Sort of like a baby 997 Cup. I enjoy it so much i dont think i could bother with a 996 Cup unless i needed to inorder to race door to door with others in a series etc.
And as to a 997 Cup, i would have no real use for it other then being a trailer queen. Realistically im still trying to master my RS at the track. Between the trailering and crewing im afraid for the amount of time i would play with it would only become a burden and take the simple fun out of what im currently doing which is much more simple with a license plate. A 997 Cup is a commitment. Unless you really have a use for it, it is just an expensive toy.
Some day however.
Especially if the 991 Cup has paddle shift.

Quick Reply: Gonna try a Cup Car tomorrow