Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Mancation II July '11

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:20 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Frankly, I'm in awe of Reter and Izzone. How the **** can those guys drive hundreds of miles, get just a couple of hours of sleep, learn a new track, lay down blistering times, shower, eat dinner, drink 'n party, pass out AND still find time to compose overlaid Traqmate video and post it up to YouTube?!?!?!!!

I'm not worthy!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Watkins Glen is one of my favorites. On my list of things to do this summer, there was a trip to NJ/NY for a SCCA ProSolo round, Monticello and Watkins Glen, all with the Fiat. It didn't happen, messy work schedule.

WGI used to be my favorite track until I went to Laguna Seca. Laguna Seca was my favorite until I went to Sebring.

With a GT3 RS, once you're out of T1 at WGI, you can go Reter's style (FLATOUT) until the Bus stop. T2,T3 and T4 are fun. My stock 996 GT3 was approaching the bus stop at 153 mph (actual speed, no the dashboard liar). Out of the toe of the boot in the stock long 2nd gear was a blast in the 996 GT3.

I had a flat tire at T4 going 130+ mph, fortunately the MPSC gave me a few seconds before giving up, scary.

I have an idea for Mancation III: We rent a rig (Motorhome style) with a 4 car trailer, hire a driver, sleep, eat, drink and chat in between tracks, bully at the tracks. 4 track cars, or 3 track cars + a beater car to go to local bars, strip clubs, Nightclubs, Spa, using rig driver as designated driver. Share expenses, less physical effort, more fun.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I have an idea for Mancation III: We rent a rig (Motorhome style)...
I like it... and call it "Base Camp", like they do in Nepal.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Stayed at the S Lodge my first time to the Glen. My room was UNDER the bar. Luckily I closed the bar every night, so the only thing keeping me up all night were the bugs and the smell

I know many that stay there religiously! For them, it's an integral part of the Watkins Glen experience. I can appreciate that but having dinner/drinks on the patio of the Harbor Hotel is pretty sweet....just bring some $$$$$.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Mosport will always be special, it's that exciting and nice flowing
Peter, now that you've been there, imagine a gaggle of diff category cars (proto, GT, etc) racing in to T2 wheel-to-wheel as will be happening this weekend. Catch it on Speed if you can.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really like mosport!
looks fantastic! great elevation/camber changes, and nice scenery.
love the 2 right handers ( you have a great line through the 2nd one) before the long straight, and the decreasing radius on the corner directly after the straight, where one can test the go-nads in the braking zone, going in later and later on trailing throttle.
looks like bman been there too!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Bman
Racer

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
looks like bman been there too!
I haven't but everyone I talk describes it as the scariest and most fun track they've ever driven. I can't wait to drive it! Hoping to run it and Mt Tremblant soon, maybe Cbogie too.

Watching Peter's video, I loved that the end of the long straight is a 4th gear corner....gotta be a blast.

I am bummed they didn't enjoy Mid Ohio more. I can understand why because the constant traffic never allowed them to enjoy the flow and get up to speed.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:24 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

ok, just looks like your car and francois going through the same corner in your avatar/s?
or is this at a different track? the glen?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

The Seneca Lodge is great but you have to stay in the motel. Say no to the cabins.

Harbour Hotel is really nice but double $$$.

I don't mind the S Lodge. Hardly there in any case.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Bman
Racer

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
ok, just looks like your car and francois going through the same corner in your avatar/s?
or is this at a different track? the glen?
Yes, that's entering the bridge straight at Watkins Glen.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bman
Yes, that's entering the bridge straight at Watkins Glen.
The "classic" shot

You know, been there, got the t-shirt and the picture
Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I have an idea for Mancation III: We rent a rig (Motorhome style) with a 4 car trailer, hire a driver, sleep, eat, drink and chat in between tracks, bully at the tracks. 4 track cars, or 3 track cars + a beater car to go to local bars, strip clubs, Nightclubs, Spa, using rig driver as designated driver. Share expenses, less physical effort, more fun.
Originally Posted by FFaust
I like it... and call it "Base Camp", like they do in Nepal.
I like the idea of track car transport and trackside services (chassis setup, tire swaps, slicks, wets, etc.) then fly between tracks with a little time to spare while the cars arrive, maybe do coaching days, Radical rental or, as noted, probably kidney dialysis. : )
Old 07-19-2011, 01:06 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I like the idea of track car transport and trackside services (chassis setup, tire swaps, slicks, wets, etc.) then fly between tracks with a little time to spare while the cars arrive, maybe do coaching days, Radical rental or, as noted, probably kidney dialysis. : )
So what's it going to be, $25, $30k each?

Could ship the car to Sharky for a 3.9, then pick it up for the Mancation-of-a-lifetime.

And here I was, thinking that it would get cheaper after the first few years, once the car, trailer, truck, mods, etc. were done.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Trakcar being FLATOUT, might be flat out of gas right now. 12th day of mancation and peter and Randy both look like zombies. Randy looks like he's been hit by a Mack truck. Lol. I'm exhausted after 6days of being gone but we all get back in the car and the adrenaline kicks back in and we're off.

I know our times are slow for Watkins glen but it's jenk12m 2:14.4, trakcar 2:14.8, and izzone is well ummm...we will see by the end of the day. Haha.

Peter doesn't like being 2nd so he swapped rear tires to make sure he can go FLATOUT!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
So what's it going to be, $25, $30k each?

Could ship the car to Sharky for a 3.9, then pick it up for the Mancation-of-a-lifetime.

And here I was, thinking that it would get cheaper after the first few years, once the car, trailer, truck, mods, etc. were done.
This is a great idea. If you guys are serious about doing something like this I know some teams/drivers/haulers that we could enlist to help make it happen. Wouldn't be that hard to do and I don't think it would be as expensive as listed above. Lets start working out the details!

Quick Reply: Mancation II July '11