Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 reality check.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a C2S cab and a GT3. Most times, I have trouble convincing myself that they have any lineage in common at all.

No question, the C2S/PDK is damn quick. More than enough to have a great time on a track. GT3 is a different kind of fun. Yes, more emotional, but also just plain more capable.

But hey, a Miata will get you around a track quickly too. Nice to have choices.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Q&A wrote:
friend of mine completely ruined his Cayman engine on Spa Francorchamps. Not having a dry sump oil system, and the high speed, very long turns caused the engine to run "dry". Only Turbo and GT3 cars have this originally installed.
I dont believe this at all. Seems like a post dug up from the 2004 996 GT3 forum. The new motors have so many oil feeders in the motor this doesnt happen any more. There is a video of the 9A1 motor running the simulated RING track at 90 degrees and not running dry. The new motors are too good for that. The 9A1 motor is now in the turbo too.

However yea the GT3 is ALWAYS going to be the pinnacle of the 911 mountain. But for me I HAD to look at the $50K difference new and for me the GT3 premium is just not worth it.
When I went out and ran the C2S PDK through a VERY aggressive test drive, I was simply STUNNED. ANd I am Serious. The gap is so narrow.

If you are going to track 20 days or more a year then in the end you are going to derive more enjoyment and development of skill in the GT3. Thats not that debatable.

BUT if you track 5 days a year and want to use the 911 for a Daily, then the 997.2 knocks it out of the ball park. The difference between the two is so small now TO ME the price difference just isnt worth it.

Would I buy another GT3? HELL YA!!!!! Its in my blood now and that dont go away. But DAYUM this C2S 3.8 PDK is WILD GOOD!!!!!!! and for less than $80K its a simple NO BRAINER!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 PM
ArcticGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John (OP),

You'll be so fast when you get one, it won't even be funny!

Armando
Old 05-12-2011, 09:54 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Q&A wrote:

I dont believe this at all. Seems like a post dug up from the 2004 996 GT3 forum. The new motors have so many oil feeders in the motor this doesnt happen any more. There is a video of the 9A1 motor running the simulated RING track at 90 degrees and not running dry. The new motors are too good for that. The 9A1 motor is now in the turbo too.

However yea the GT3 is ALWAYS going to be the pinnacle of the 911 mountain. But for me I HAD to look at the $50K difference new and for me the GT3 premium is just not worth it.
When I went out and ran the C2S PDK through a VERY aggressive test drive, I was simply STUNNED. ANd I am Serious. The gap is so narrow.

If you are going to track 20 days or more a year then in the end you are going to derive more enjoyment and development of skill in the GT3. Thats not that debatable.

BUT if you track 5 days a year and want to use the 911 for a Daily, then the 997.2 knocks it out of the ball park. The difference between the two is so small now TO ME the price difference just isnt worth it.

Would I buy another GT3? HELL YA!!!!! Its in my blood now and that dont go away. But DAYUM this C2S 3.8 PDK is WILD GOOD!!!!!!! and for less than $80K its a simple NO BRAINER!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Q&A is a gentleman; he wouldn't lie about something like that..

And what's wrong with posts from the 6GT3 forum? the nicest people post there.. Our only issue with non dry sump motors is that VW hasn't raced them yet. : )

best,
Old 05-12-2011, 10:20 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy

I agree with that. If you are not a track junkie and don't mind to be much slower why invest more in a GT3. The OP is arguing that the lap times aren't much different and is implying that GT3 doesn't worth the price gap for the performance increase. Sorry but he is ready for a "reality check" when he meet a GT3 driver with good skills. There is at least a 6 to 8 seconds advantage to the GT3RS on a 3 miles track. May be he should check his lap timer
Old 05-12-2011, 10:25 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY9ut...layer_embedded
Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Had a 2008 C2S, completely modded! Coilovers, solid suspension bits, LWFW, AWE exhaust system, OEM aero kit, brakes and r-comps... Down to the bone. I blew the engine at Sebring last fall and upgraded to X51 engine.

My best time with C2S (X51) at Sebring: 2:33

Then I got Izzone's old mkI GT3. Stock suspension, SW muffler bypass, same brake kit, same r-comps.

First day out on Sebring: 2:32 I was already a second faster.

Second event: 2:30 at Sebring.

This should give you some insight. A GT3/RS makes an average driver look good, a good driver great
Old 05-12-2011, 11:00 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sin911
My best time with C2S (X51) at Sebring: 2:33

Then I got Izzone's old mkI GT3. Stock suspension, SW muffler bypass, same brake kit, same r-comps.

First day out on Sebring: 2:32 I was already a second faster.

Second event: 2:30 at Sebring.
A 997.2 RS would give another 3-4 seconds easily. Believe me
Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
A 997.2 RS would give another 3-4 seconds easily. Believe me
I know, but my wallet was too light for a mkII RS
Old 05-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting post by Quickxotica, especially now that every alive and breathing Porschephile (and RLer) is debating the 4.0RS vs. 3.8RS vs. 3.8GT3 vs. C2S vs. waiting for the 991 GT3... So here's my story about GT3 or not:
I owned a 7.1 C2S and loved it. With PS2's, it was very responsive on the track, highly communicative and I loved the gearbox (short shifter). BUT it was a dark color (LapisBlue) and was getting destroyed at the track (no covering on it). I also found myself bumping up against the 7200RPM redline in third -not enough time to shift into fourth but too much time staying in 3rd).
I had just started to track after a 25-year hiatus and felt in a short time that I needed (and wanted :-) more power than the 355HP I had. The suspension also started to be limiting in some of the turns. Since I'm a finance guy and not that terribly comfortable (and knowledgable) about messing with a car, I figured it would take me a lot of time, hassle (I hate shops!) and money (ca. $20K+) to get my carrera up to near the level of a GT3. Talking to shops, I was also told that there wasn't a lot of opportunity to get my 355HP bumped up significantly without serious money.
Then I looked at the GT3 and the RS and found that the new 7.2 "lowly" Carrera (I like one of the RLer's call his the "lowly Carrera"...) was not that much cheaper than a bare bones GT3. Since everyone would naturally load up a street Carrera, the price difference is actually less than $20K (if you bargain on the GT3 :-).
So to me, it was a no brainer to buy a GT3 vs. a new 7.2C C2S. I also wanted the "last" one of the Metzger-engined cars -just for good measure :-):-)
Had I already owned a 7.2 C2S, it would have been a lot more difficult with those 385HP to upgrade.
I also looked at the 3.8RS but "analyzed" that a) with that car I'd be way in over my head looking like a total moron on the track, b) couldn't really justify the price difference even though I had an offer on an RS that was only $15K more than my GT3, and c) I like "understated" looks -the wing is a little more "mundane"..I also thought that the buyer pool was going to be bigger with the GT3's all around more street friendliness. So all in all, I thought that the regular GT3 was the best compromise of all the things I wanted.
My plan all along was and still is to learn in the GT3 and 3 1/2 years from now I get the latest technology in the 991 GT3.
Having had the GT3 now for 2 months and 3 track days, I have the following summary:
1) Love the handling of the car, simply insane on those Cup tires and no comparison to the 7.1 C2S.
2) Broader power/torque band but not necessarily any quicker than the C2S except the higher red line which I haven't touched yet (1200 miles only so far).
3) Hate the GT3 shifter with a passion, my 7.1 C2S short shifter was made in heaven, I swear.
4) I miss the "instantaneous" throttle response from my 7.1 C2S; you touch the gas, she went. In the GT3, it seems like I need to lay bricks on that pedal to get a response, even making double clutching tough, maybe something wrong with my set-up? And the 7.1CS didn't even have direct injection. I should drive a 7.2C2S to compare, I guess. The only good thing about that "delayed" throttle response is you can't get in trouble that fast... I had to be so careful with my 7.1C2s to not "overpower" the car.
5) Do I regret not having bought the RS? Sometimes, but I couldn't get the car I wanted and the one that was close to my specs was in New Jersey, having sat outside during three blizzards for 6 months. So I picked a California Car...
6) I like the adaptive sport seats but would have been satisfied with the regular sports seats I had in my 7.1C2S. (Didn't fit into the Sport Buckets of the RS when I test drove it -too long of a torso... but I am looking at some European Recaros with height adjusments... and a harness...and a rollbar) Maybe should have bought that RS? -Will do so in 2014!
So overall for the money I paid over a loaded 7.2CS, I can't complain.. And yes, I do crawl underneath the car and admire all the hardware. Beets the spreadsheets I normally look at...
Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 AM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The beauty of the situation is that there is a choice. If the justification is what is holding you back from a GT3, maybe it's not right for you. One thing is certain. Porsche has mastered the incremental improvement strategy that, if nothing else, gets us thinking and talking about the newest flavor.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:19 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are all great cars, just buy the one that suits you best. For me it is a GT.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:04 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having owned a 997S, still have my 996 C4 conv, I can tell you that the GT3 is all about the driver. Yes, driving a car with all the nannies will make you temporarily faster and will also allow you to push the envelope right to the very edge with decreased probability in a major mishap; however, the GT3 requires a commitment in learning how to drive a car to the driver's limit; hence, the reward and enjoyment of the GT3, of course this is all track related. For the street, a regular 911 is all the car anyone needs.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:17 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chicks dig the wing
:-)
Old 05-13-2011, 02:21 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Whatever floats your boat and if have fun at track it's all that matters. I had fun driving my smart car at th. Ne trackday in ne car is a great day : ). Mike

Quick Reply: GT3 reality check.