Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I was born with the 74 RS

I dont save any cars for the next guy to enjoy

I am going to race Reter to the first 2010 RS to hit 100,000 miles

Erik has a herad start on us
I will gladly assist. All you gotta do is book me a flight to Fl. Lol!
Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I was born with the 74 RS

I dont save any cars for the next guy to enjoy

I am going to race Reter to the first 2010 RS to hit 100,000 miles

Erik has a herad start on us
I'm not sure what "born with the '74 RS" means? You're a twin and your mother gave birth to a '74 911? You were born in a '74 or simply conceived there?

Was there a '74 RS per se?

As for the 100K 3.8 RS, I think that's an interesting goal. One I might well pursue myself. But only if it's exclusively track miles. I can't imagine driving 100K miles on the street in a 3.8. Rather like trying to ride more than an hour or two on a Ducati 916 (or 996 et al) ... you can ride that bike all day so long as you're on the track and working from turn to turn, but as soon as you're in traffic on the street or covering miles on the open road, your wrists break, your neck aches, your bum is on fire (because of the exhausts directly under the seat) and you can't wait to get off the bloody thing. Worst bike on the street, no other bike is half as good on the track. The same for the 3.8 -- awful on the street, but I've never driven a car half as good on the track.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:49 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
At 125hp / liter and at 3000#s if spec'd as a lightweight, for the 9A1 2015gt3 to outperform this 4.0, they are going to have to charge $$$ to get the weight down because I just don't see it with more HP in a NA form. Having driven cars with more HP than the 4.0's 500HP, any 2wdr car with more HP than 500 becomes an exponential handful without very intrusive electronics to keep the car under control. In my opinion, above 500HP, 4wdr becomes 'almost' necessary for mortals to return home alive after a trackday. As an example, lets look at which car won this year's One Lap - a 600HP well prepped GT-r driven by a well known Porsche driver. I can see a 4.0 liter 9A1 2015gt3 with a 450 HP engine whose front wheels are driven by some form of hybrid regenerating electric 50hp engines on each front wheel. This type of car can / will be faster than the 4.0 - and it will cost $200k in the US - but it won't have soul - it will just be fast.
There is more to performance than HP. 991 will handle more like a MR vs. RR. Also have better, more update suspension, weight distribution, etc. My guess is mk1 991 GT3/RS will have about 500hp, but will out-handle 997, thus making it much faster around a track. I suspect price will be same is current mk2s (with adjustments for inflation, etc.). When will start seeing 991 GT3's... mid-year next year?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:57 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I'm in for the 100K mile challenge, but that will take me about 8 years.....

I think the 991RS will be heavier, because all new models are heavier. At one point cars might get lighter with CF tubs, but that will be the model after 991, if ever.

Probably will be 2013/14 before we see a 991RS..
Old 05-12-2011, 10:47 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
3 hour window is up, do we have a decision? Was the "looks like a 4.0 is in my future" the final call?
No. There is no 4.0 in my future. At least not today. This had to be one of the strangest car buying days I've had. I'm starting to question how special or not special the 4.0 is. I think if you want one, and are willing to make some phone calls, you will find an allocation.

First, I had 3 hour window to make a decision. I took too long to decide so the dealer moved on to the next buyer and he bought it. Specced it out in black, steel brakes, lightweight battery, red/black interior, I don't know what he did with the wheels?

Second, I call my other dealer. Yes, he got one allocation and I could have it if I wanted it. I asked him why it wasn't already sold? He didn't have any buyers. The dealer was trying to trade his 4.0 allocation with another dealer who did have a buyer. I think my dealer wanted some Cayennes instead of a 4.0? Two or three Cayennes meant more to his business than one 4.0. So I passed. I'll get another favor from him in the future.

Third, later in the afternoon a good friend calls me to offer another allocation that his dealer had. I passed.

So, at the end of the day there is no 4.0 in future. If I change my mind later I think I could still find in one. I don't know what to think after all these 4.0s show up in one day?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I don't know what to think after all these 4.0s show up in one day?
At MSRP, I would think it is my lucky day!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:22 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n2cars
I think my dealer wanted some Cayennes instead of a 4.0? Two or three Cayennes meant more to his business than one 4.0. So I passed. I'll get another favor from him in the future.
Cayennes have massive buying interest and sales right now. I love my Cayenne. Last I knew there was a 6 month wait to order one, but that may have changed? Doesn't surprise me at all you heard this. To me it is zero reflection at all on the desireability of a 4.0. Two totally different buyers in most cases (duh).

Seems Porsche simply recently allocated more cars to dealer in the USA and now they are trying to lock in a buyers order.

Will make life interesting for the [insert word]'s who signed a buyers order for MSRP+ $xxK though...lol
Old 05-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

reading this thread I am a bit dissapointed that it rapidly degenerated into a depreciation discussion ... where are the passionate GT owners?

If I had the means and the opportunity I would have required around 3 milliseconds to decide to buy a 4.0RS and f*ck the depreciation ... they all
pretty much depreciate and life is too short to mess around.

Of course mine would be PTS Mexico Blue and I would have done euro delivery so I could take it to the Ring ... and it would have been worth every penny just for that experience alone ...

Yours Dissapointed

Larry
Old 05-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
reading this thread I am a bit dissapointed that it rapidly degenerated into a depreciation discussion ... where are the passionate GT owners?

If I had the means and the opportunity I would have required around 3 milliseconds to decide to buy a 4.0RS and f*ck the depreciation ... they all

Of course mine would be PTS Mexico Blue and I would have done euro delivery so I could take it to the Ring ... and it would have been worth every penny just for that experience alone ...

Yours Dissapointed

Larry
Larry I asked for PTS. My dealer checked and said No way.

It's too bad. I would have been seriously tempted to get a Riviera or Mexico Blue 4.0 and keep it.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Larry I asked for PTS. My dealer checked and said No way.

It's too bad. I would have been seriously tempted to get a Riviera or Mexico Blue 4.0 and keep it.
Ive heard from 2 separate sources now that PTS is available - one of them in Canada!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Yours Dissapointed

Larry
Larry,

+1 The difference is you are a driver and the others are posers

Peter
Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Larry,

+1 The difference is you are a driver and the others are posers

Peter
Thanks! ... I'm too ugly to be a poseur anyhow!

seriously (not) though ... I'd cut one of my nuts off with a blunt spoon for a 4.0 ...

any takers?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:07 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the car, yes
for your nuts, no.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:07 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

Yours Dissapointed

Larry
I can understand your disappointment about the depreciation discussion. For me it was an important part of my decision. I wasn't looking for or even interested in the 4.0 when 3 drop into my lap. That's why I passed on the cars. If I could have escaped with minimal depreciation I might have bought it. I'm sure the 4.0 is a great car.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n2cars
I can understand your disappointment about the depreciation discussion. For me it was an important part of my decision. I wasn't looking for or even interested in the 4.0 when 3 drop into my lap. That's why I passed on the cars. If I could have escaped with minimal depreciation I might have bought it. I'm sure the 4.0 is a great car.
no worries ... each to his own ... I personally thought about trading my '10 GT3 for a 3.8 RS ... ultimately I could not stomach the depreciation on my car after 1 year and 1900mi ...

having said that ... I took a bath on my '07 GT3 for the '10 without batting an eye ... it was that good!

Quick Reply: RS 4.0, I Have a 3 Hour Window to Decide