Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS 4.0, I Have a 3 Hour Window to Decide

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 03:50 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I spec'd my own at msrp. It will start being built on 7/21.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I was offered one at msrp, but it was
already specced......not to my liking, I passed, somebody else bought it. This was 3 weeks ago, I think they can be had at msrp if you have the scratch , and will take what they have available.

As of last Friday, no orders were frozen, so a dealer suggesting a car already built in the system could not be changed was either mislead or misleading. Either way, time to find another dealer. I'd suggest candidacy for this one to the black list.

Originally Posted by dertub
I spec'd my own at msrp. It will start being built on 7/21.
That should be amongst the first cars. Reading between the lines of what I've discovered so far, there's only the pre-vacation production visible in the order system for US allocations. July, August? Some cars will be built in October.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I had an allocation, but passed when the dealer called and have no regrets. I'm sure it will be the best 911 yet until the 991 GT3 which will look and perform even better for much less money. I'll wait until then.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Looking at the RS 4.0 literature, I note those of us in the USA have a sort of "RS America" version of the Euro RS 4.0.

To wit: no single piece carbon bucket seats, no carbon fiber body parts, no polycarbonate windows, no roll bar, etc.

They even get color to sample over there and we get black or white.

In USA:

Body
• Fixed rear wing with changed attack angle to increase downforce
• Galvanized steel body shell
• Front apron with integrated air intakes, spoiler, and additional aerodynamic dive planes
• Wide body across rear axle
• Underbody panelling
• Aluminum luggage compartment lid
• Rear lid in glass fiber reinforced plastic
• Aluminum doors
• Model logotype on rear lid in contrasting color finish
• Door brakes with 3 rest positions
• Water-repellent coating on door windows
• Twin center mounted tailpipes, titanium
• Rear apron with integrated ventilation ports
• Grey top tint on windscreen

In Europe:

Body
• 2-seater Coupe with flared body front and rear
• Lightweight Steel construction with elements of Aluminium and carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP)
• Underbody panelling
• Sill trim with spoiler ahead rear wheels
• Front apron with integrated air intakes incl. grill, spoiler lip, air outtake opening ahead of trunk lid and 'Flics' sideways
• Front spoiler edge in black
Boot space floor in carbon fibre reinforced plastics (CFRP) coloured in exterior colour
• Fender (front) Carbon with integrated widening coloured in exterior colour

• Rear apron with additional air extractor
• Two centre tailpipes in titanium
• Rear opening hood (plastic material) with ram-pressure collector, fix CFRP wing in coloured in exterior colour with
Porsche logo and individual sideplates
• Wing support in forged Aluminium anodised in GT-Silver Metallic
• Rear centre out of plastic material
• 'RS 4.0' logo in red on rear lid
• Tank cap in aluminium look
• Doors in aluminium
• Bow-type door handles
• Door brakes with three rest positions
• Water-repellent coating on front side windows
Rear window and rear side window in polycarbonate
Old 05-16-2011, 03:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Cupcar, "water repelent on door windows'? So Porsche puts on some RainX? LOL

Seems to me the 4.0 RS for the USA is not really a great deal over a 3.8RS compared to the Euro version if the USA can't get the coolest parts like the carbon body panel and ploy windows, plus color choices.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:20 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Row cars have the best stuff thru all models of gt3. It's not 4.0 alone we get stiffed on. Neway the motor/tranny and suspension bits on the 4.0 is what I'm drooling about.
Mike
Old 05-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Cupcar, "water repelent on door windows'? So Porsche puts on some RainX? LOL
At least the water repellent comes to the USA.

Note in video below that Andreas Preuninger points out the RS 4.0 has carbon body parts and that the rear side windows are plastic along with the rear window:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXHNJ...el_video_title
Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Row cars have the best stuff thru all models of gt3. It's not 4.0 alone we get stiffed on. Neway the motor/tranny and suspension bits on the 4.0 is what I'm drooling about.
Mike
The 4.0 engine is pretty clear, what are the suspension and chassis changes?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Looking at the RS 4.0 literature, I note those of us in the USA have a sort of "RS America" version of the Euro RS 4.0.

To wit: no single piece carbon bucket seats, no carbon fiber body parts, no polycarbonate windows, no roll bar, etc.

They even get color to sample over there and we get black or white.

In USA:

Body
• Fixed rear wing with changed attack angle to increase downforce
• Galvanized steel body shell
• Front apron with integrated air intakes, spoiler, and additional aerodynamic dive planes
• Wide body across rear axle
• Underbody panelling
• Aluminum luggage compartment lid
• Rear lid in glass fiber reinforced plastic
• Aluminum doors
• Model logotype on rear lid in contrasting color finish
• Door brakes with 3 rest positions
• Water-repellent coating on door windows
• Twin center mounted tailpipes, titanium
• Rear apron with integrated ventilation ports
• Grey top tint on windscreen

In Europe:

Body
• 2-seater Coupe with flared body front and rear
• Lightweight Steel construction with elements of Aluminium and carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP)
• Underbody panelling
• Sill trim with spoiler ahead rear wheels
• Front apron with integrated air intakes incl. grill, spoiler lip, air outtake opening ahead of trunk lid and 'Flics' sideways
• Front spoiler edge in black
Boot space floor in carbon fibre reinforced plastics (CFRP) coloured in exterior colour
• Fender (front) Carbon with integrated widening coloured in exterior colour

• Rear apron with additional air extractor
• Two centre tailpipes in titanium
• Rear opening hood (plastic material) with ram-pressure collector, fix CFRP wing in coloured in exterior colour with
Porsche logo and individual sideplates
• Wing support in forged Aluminium anodised in GT-Silver Metallic
• Rear centre out of plastic material
• 'RS 4.0' logo in red on rear lid
• Tank cap in aluminium look
• Doors in aluminium
• Bow-type door handles
• Door brakes with three rest positions
• Water-repellent coating on front side windows
Rear window and rear side window in polycarbonate
Not that the RS America is a negative point in the history of 911's in the USA market, but the USA "microsite" makes it clear in so many words that the car includes carbon fenders and frunk lid.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Not that the RS America is a negative point in the history of 911's in the USA market, but the USA "microsite" makes it clear in so many words that the car includes carbon fenders and frunk lid.
The quotes I have in my post are directly cut and pasted to the post from the American and European editions of the same basic document.

Why no mention of the carbon fenders and plastic windows in the USA literature?

In ordering, I would want to know for sure if I was getting the whole banana or not.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Plastic windows are not DOT approved and our cars never get them.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

The quotes I have in my post are directly cut and pasted to the post from the American and European editions of the same basic document.

In ordering, I would want to know for sure if I was getting the whole banana or not.
I'm pointing out the contradiction, not asserting that any given point of reference is legit. As I mentioned in a previous post, we won't know the curb weight, the power output to the ground, the gearing, suspension, tires, the windows or just about anything about the car until someone (savy) takes delivery. Even then, as we say in the 997.1 RS, some will show up with welded plates, others won't. Nobody can say. I mean nobody.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Plastic windows are not DOT approved and our cars never get them.
Right. Well, sort of. The plastic windows Porsche chooses are from Germany -- Porsche has a stated policy of sourcing everything from a German OEM. This can mean inferior products and I don't think Porsche argues that everything going into the car is necessarily the very best, but they stand on the business ethic of sourcing local content. I think they're right and I think the USA should follow that example without exception.

There are USA DOT approved plastic side (and I think rear) windows. Perhaps they need to be custom cut and in general it would be a compliance logistics nightmare for Porsche to have USA cars with quality issues originating in an OEM product that might reflect on crash testing (the OEM would have to take on separate testing?) Just a can of worms and practically zero benefit. After all, the expense of the carbon hood and fenders is part of a set of changes that net only 22lbs. Side windows just don't rate a mention in that context of cost-benefit.

I'd certainly not take delivery of the car if they've omitted the advertised specs such as carbon frunk and fenders. It's part of the pricing justification. For example, I think the car should have come standard with PCCBs, as with the 2RS, which would count towards the $185K number in the context of the $245K for the 2RS -- and it would be reasonable to then offer a delete option to take $8K off the price, which would have told Porsche a lot about the value customers see in the carbon stoppers. Another example would be to offer to weld in four cage plates for say $2K. I think Porsche (NA and AG) would be ***-fuking-stonished to see how many customers ordered those plates.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I'd certainly not take delivery of the car if they've omitted the advertised specs such as carbon frunk and fenders. It's part of the pricing justification. For example, I think the car should have come standard with PCCBs, as with the 2RS, which would count towards the $185K number in the context of the $245K for the 2RS -- and it would be reasonable to then offer a delete option to take $8K off the price, which would have told Porsche a lot about the value customers see in the carbon stoppers. Another example would be to offer to weld in four cage plates for say $2K. I think Porsche (NA and AG) would be ***-fuking-stonished to see how many customers ordered those plates.
Could not have said it better and agree 100%.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:43 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 4.0 engine is pretty clear, what are the suspension and chassis changes?
4.0 has the GT2RS suspension bits however the spring rates and dampening are different. There are some very interestng threads floating about the 'tubes as to what is different about 2RS suspension

You are absolutely correct as to what is on the configurator. And in regards to carbon bits it is wrong. Don't expect plastic windows though
Old 05-16-2011, 07:27 PM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont buy it if depreciation is a concern.

Quick Reply: RS 4.0, I Have a 3 Hour Window to Decide