Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS 4.0, I Have a 3 Hour Window to Decide

Old 05-11-2011, 01:11 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts
Default RS 4.0, I Have a 3 Hour Window to Decide

An allocation for the 4.0 fell into my lap. I basically have 3 hours to decide wether to take it or not. I can still change the configuration for a September build. I've been following all the threads on the 4.0. My concern is resale value in a couple of years which I know is an unknown at this point. It's never fun to lose money on a toy. I'll never track the car and I won't bubble wrap it either. It'll be a weekend driver.

Any thoughts on how much money I'll lose? Technology moves on and the next great Porsche is around the corner. The 4.0 may be antiquated in a few years.

Do I have the numbers correct that 130 are scheduled for the US?

I know some of you are looking for an 4.0 allocation. If I don't take the car it will be sold immediately to the buyer behind me.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:14 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
Any thoughts on how much money I'll lose? Technology moves on and the next great Porsche is around the corner. The 4.0 may be antiquated in a few years.
You'll easily consume 25-30% of its original value in the 2-3 year ownership you mentioned. Price of admission.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:16 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

.. It's never fun to lose money on a toy. ...
Unless your name is Neo, prepare yourself for the inevitable.. : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5m1A7zoIcc
Old 05-11-2011, 01:21 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only guessing... It will hold pretty strong with a small amount of depreciation until the 991 base gt3 debuts and

All modern porsches depreciate

Again only my guess but a $200k 4.0 with <10k miles will lose a minimum of $50k in 4 years.... Just like the GT cars before it

Once the "newer version" is announced this will be last years prom date... Still hot as hell but been there done that and everyone will be waxing nostalgic for gt1 motor etc even in the face of superior performance of the latest and greatest.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Waterboy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the money, do it. If you can't take the hit, don't. I feel your pain.........
Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i think the op is looking to sell his allocation.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Get it spec'd how you want. When you go to sell it the spec will not matter too much because there will be so few for sale. Plus for example say you get the comfy Adapt Sport Seats and the guy buying you car 3 years from now is a track rat he is only going to remove those seats for proper track seats anyway.....so get what you want
Old 05-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

An allocation for the 4.0 fell into my lap. I basically have 3 hours to decide wether to take it or not. I can still change the configuration for a September build. I've been following all the threads on the 4.0. My concern is resale value in a couple of years which I know is an unknown at this point. It's never fun to lose money on a toy. I'll never track the car and I won't bubble wrap it either. It'll be a weekend driver.

Do I have the numbers correct that 130 are scheduled for the US?

I know some of you are looking for an 4.0 allocation. If I don't take the car it will be sold immediately to the buyer behind me.
I think the 3.8 and 4.0 both make excellent weekenders and occasional drivers, but they're really track day cars and pretty awful on the street. If you have the option to get the car, don't *** around. The 130 number is not exact, but near enough. If you work at it, you won't lose a cent in the near term. If you work at it, you could figure out a way to lose money (such as giving it back to the dealer) but otherwise, it will cost you about what any $200K car will cost you -- say $2K/month in cost of opportunity and operating costs.)
Old 05-11-2011, 02:08 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the input. Just lost $95K on my 430 Scuderia. Wife not happy. Hard to explain to her why I need a 4.0 and lose more money.

As an aside, I'm not trying to sell my allocation. Dealer is doing me a favor with first shot at this car. Then it goes to the next guy on the list.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input. Just lost $95K on my 430 Scuderia. Wife not happy. Hard to explain to her why I need a 4.0 and lose more money.

As an aside, I'm not trying to sell my allocation. Dealer is doing me a favor with first shot at this car. Then it goes to the next guy on the list.
People who got in early on the Scuderia were very unlucky to be holding that car when the economy crashed. I'm sure you know all the circumstances that lead to Scuderia being a uniquely bad example of Ferrari resale. There's really no comparison to the 4.0 -- there's no "458" coming for the 4.0 to lose its place, there's no likelihood of another global depression (yes, we're still in a deep recession that can turn worse, but for the foreseeable future, I'm bullish on the markets, just not on any given nations' economic outlook, especially the US) and the supply-demand balance of the 4.0 with only 100-200 cars in the US market is unlike the glut of Scuderia's and the "old model" stigma really hurts the Ferrari status symbol, but doesn't tend to have the same impact on the 911 (especially since we're already seeing the 911 isn't visually distinctive ... it really can't be because it has to retain a 911 silhouette.) You'd be nuts to pass on the 4.0.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:25 PM
ssort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wait a year or 18 months and buy one used. let someone else get the crap beat out of them. look at the resale value of any GT3 or GT3RS, do the math from what they sold for and you will see what to expect. is your dealer charging you a 'upcharge' aka add'l dealer mark up?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:33 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Never buy a car new if depreiciation is a concern...having so, it will not depreciate as much as the Scud.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:35 PM
A430v
Racer

+1 to ssort. The 3.8 RS resale is crap ~ making me rethink my 4.0 allocation...
Old 05-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ssort
wait a year or 18 months and buy one used. let someone else get the crap beat out of them. look at the resale value of any GT3 or GT3RS, do the math from what they sold for and you will see what to expect. is your dealer charging you a 'upcharge' aka add'l dealer mark up?
I'm interested to understand your math.

Which GT3 has had such extraordinary loss on resale?

Do you measure depreciation by a dollar amount or a percentage?

If you take a percentage comparison of a GT3 to any other 911 or equivalent MSRP from another maker, does the GT3 represent a higher loss?

The matter of these losses is not subject to opinion, it's only what can be found in actual transactions. Also, there's no point in comparing retail and private sale to whole and trade-in prices -- that would be to arbitrarily subtract the profit margins of the dealers and assume retail customers invariably return their cars at wholesale to fully realize the worst possible loss.

ps. I agree that any gouge over MSRP is lost capital and will not be recovered on resale -- there was a time in the history of marques like Ferrari where the secondary market was so tightly (illegally) regulated by the dealer network that anything paid into the front of the deal could well be recouped (or even gained upon) in resale or traded back to the dealer to carry forward the profit to the next car.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:39 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
People who got in early on the Scuderia were very unlucky to be holding that car when the economy crashed. I'm sure you know all the circumstances that lead to Scuderia being a uniquely bad example of Ferrari resale. There's really no comparison to the 4.0 -- there's no "458" coming for the 4.0 to lose its place, there's no likelihood of another global depression (yes, we're still in a deep recession that can turn worse, but for the foreseeable future, I'm bullish on the markets, just not on any given nations' economic outlook, especially the US) and the supply-demand balance of the 4.0 with only 100-200 cars in the US market is unlike the glut of Scuderia's and the "old model" stigma really hurts the Ferrari status symbol, but doesn't tend to have the same impact on the 911 (especially since we're already seeing the 911 isn't visually distinctive ... it really can't be because it has to retain a 911 silhouette.) You'd be nuts to pass on the 4.0.
I agree with all your points. Looks like a 4.0 is in my future.

Originally Posted by ssort
is your dealer charging you a 'upcharge' aka add'l dealer mark up?
No. Strictly MSRP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS 4.0, I Have a 3 Hour Window to Decide