GT3 RS 4.0 at MSRP (or better)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
All the options are the same, so if you order an RS 40 with the same options then it will still be $50K more...actually more than that as you have the additional sales tax on that $50K plus the higher Gas Guzzler tax. One more adder to that is you won't even get $135k for your RS when you trade it in. A higher sticker does not unfortunately mean a high resale.

Why skip the radio, the decent headlights or a pair of cup holders? This is a street car after all. Will deleting these options actually make you faster? There is not a driver on these forums that 20 lbs of weight is going to make a measurable difference. It you really want a stripped track car, why waste your money on an RS 40 when for the same money you could just buy a new GT3 cup? The RS 40's substantially higher price tag really changes the economics of stepping up to a cup.
Agreed -- the delta is msrp plus or minus any discounted options (f'rinstance, full leather was standard on the GT2 RS, Nav was significantly discounted, so it's fair to include these in the comparison.) But once you tried to factor in options like full leather, you have to consider the "options" of the carbon hood and fenders. If the driver doesn't care to pay for these things (and they're expensive and really do nothing substantial) then fine, otherwise, it's just padding the msrp of the 4.0 -- personally, I take the "half full" approach and say that these parts help justify the $50K and defray the delta, but overall, it's the engine -- if you want the engine, you want the car.

As for the headlights, I always get the lightweight headlights not because 5lbs off the nose of the car is a big deal, I just loathe those chrome or painted washer nozzles -- just pathetic, ugly, incompetent design and right there at the very front and most visible detail of the car. Aargh!

The Cup vs RS comparison factors are too numerous to revisit in every thread -- even at $200K, the 4.0 is cheaper and far, far more practical to operate (total costs including depreciation, operating costs of maintenance, support, tires, transport, etc.)

I think it's an expensive decision to go "hard core" on the 4.0 and delete the a/c. I'd rather get the car with the a/c plumbing, then just purge the refrigerant, pull the compressor and maybe install the Cup electric a/c compressor in the frunk.

The real demerit of the 4.0 or any street car taken to the track is the half-baked safety systems -- not a welded cage, not a complete fire system -- so the owner has a compromise to make or an expensive set of mods to make the street car safe.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:57 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why skip the radio, the decent headlights or a pair of cup holders? This is a street car after all. Will deleting these options actually make you faster? There is not a driver on these forums that 20 lbs of weight is going to make a measurable difference. It you really want a stripped track car, why waste your money on an RS 40 when for the same money you could just buy a new GT3 cup? The RS 40's substantially higher price tag really changes the economics of stepping up to a cup.
I held your exact opinion until a few months ago. And for a mostly street driven car still agree. But I would use a 4.0 most likely as a trailered track car. My fault for not saying that aloud in my posts

A primary issue when folks do the Cup vs GT3 (variation) comparison is that a Cup will never be street legal. And you can't arrive and drive a Cup like you can a converted GT3. And a sequential adds another level of complexity and expense. There is a case to be made for a GT3 as a primary track car vs Cup.

Don't think I would get much argument that a GT3 radio is pathetic at best and in an 3RS/2RS/4.0 there is a lot of road noise. So for me that is easy to say goodbye to. Air cond is a whole 'nother level of dedication to the cause and I can always use a cool suit. Windows down on track so window fogging is not an issue.

I can certainly feel the difference between a full tank of gas and a 1/4 tank, thats ~60 lbs/10 gals and love the feel of the car during that last 1/4 tank. Curious if others can?

For me LW lights -10lbs, A/C -40 lbs, PCM delete w/ speakers -15lbs, front lift -15 lbs, partial leather -7 lbs = 87 lbs. Lightweight forged wheels and there is another 20 lbs. It all adds up and I save a bit of money in the process. Mooty-fication all the way. I am a convert.

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1, if I wanted to strip 20lbs off of my car, I'd stop eating meat and drinking red wine!
Were you watching me eat lunch? lol. Red wine and meat baby! An easy 20 lbs to lose on this frame!

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i like your syle! you only live once, do it properly without compromise!

-sorry to hear about mooty's stripper - i love that car.
I think Mooty may be abusing his stripper Jimmy? Her underparts look a bit bruised

Lifestyle choice- there may come a time I regret it but you can't take it with you! Right?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

"But once you tried to factor in options like full leather, you have to consider the "options" of the carbon hood and fenders."

Is that confirmed? The spec. sheet (from the usual, unreliable sources) says, "Aluminium luggage compartment lid."
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wurlie
Savy, everyone - why would you remove air-con? It seems pretty important to me, also given that some series have it mandatory by the regulator.
I agree with everything else - lightweight headlights, radio delete, Li-ion battery.
White, black interior, GT silver wheels.

Best, w
as they say..."if you have to ask; you wouldn't understand"...
Old 05-05-2011, 11:08 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

savvy pete, that's right - can't take it with you and none of us is getting any younger.
all we got later is memories, may as well make them good.

in my car, first i feel the car going really nice, then i see that the tank is almost empty. the feel always comes first, otherwise i don't notice fuel level at all. it is a significant difference. also having an instructor in the car makes a massive difference - hard to get the lines wrong as not going fast enough due to extra weight and added stigma of having another life in your hands.

4.0 should be zero luxury options, just l/w options. you owe it, to make it the best it can hope to be.
if people can afford this car then they can also buy a carrera and load it to their hearts content. and park that at the marina.

Last edited by aussie jimmy; 05-05-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:17 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I can certainly feel the difference between a full tank of gas and a 1/4 tank, thats ~60 lbs/10 gals and love the feel of the car during that last 1/4 tank. Curious if others can?
agree 100%...I can feel the whole attitude a the car change over a 40 minute race as the gas level goes down and the drivers input has to also adapt to these changes. don't even get started on tire changes.

I laugh at the posts that continually state that "no one can appreciate or capitalize on weight reductions"....clearly they have never driven at 10/10ths for anything other than the occasional back straight on their DE driving (racing!) days...arm chair RS "racers" who have yet to leave the DE ranks really ought to just speak to that which they know...it is getting nauseating.

stepping off of the now
Old 05-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JAMS
"But once you tried to factor in options like full leather, you have to consider the "options" of the carbon hood and fenders."

Is that confirmed? The spec. sheet (from the usual, unreliable sources) says, "Aluminium luggage compartment lid."
Nothing is confirmed until a car is in the hands of a customer. Mr Preuninger says in the Chris Harris interview that the car has both carbon fenders and he specifically mentions the hood.

https://rennlist.com/forums/8509536-post30.html

Scroll to the 1:40 mark ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO3usApt-x4

Carbon fiber painted:
fenders, hood, wing

"you don't notice that this hood is made from carbon fiber."

The GT3 is "decontented" for the US market -- Porsche can make all the excuses they like, but it's neither here nor there -- the US buyer doesn't get the ClubSport standard options in the car (cage, fire system, $15K seats!, battery disconnect, plastic side windows, plastic rear window) and, well, that's deceptive marketing and just plain bad form.

In this case, I think the hood is CF as standard in the car -- at least, that's the text of the "microsite."

If they're taken out the hood just to make it an expensive option to add back in (since it was on the GT2 RS, there's no excuses for it not being on the GT3 RS 4.0) then they're simply misleading the customer with the price.

In any case, the car is not entirely as advertised because it's not to the specs shown in the promotional materials created overseas but used for the US marketing. If Porsche isn't going to sell the car according to the information provided in the videos, then don't use the videos for promoting the car in the US marketing materials.
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2011, 12:18 AM
A430v
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fenders and hood CF per dealer materials - all signs point to it being standard. But yeah, with Porsche, there's that off chance or 0.1% that in the end, things will change.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Still tough to justify. Most owners will use these as dual purpose cars, and would be hard pressed to extract a 6 second differential at any track, let alone the ring. I think having the extra mid-range would be nice, and that's the difference in time at the 'ring, but not for $35,000+/- over what I paid for the 3.8.
The 3.8 RS is a great car. The price difference is probably higher then $35,000, especially when used 3.8RS can be bought in the $130's now. The 4.0 is a lot rarer, with lots of racing parts in the engine alone, and the car is a bit lighter too. The interior is also directly ported from the GT2RS, which is pretty special and I guess more loaded then a 3.8RS. I personally love the look more. My green RS was the funnest Porsche I had ever driven. I bet a 4.0 NA engine with almost 100 more hp must be insane!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:25 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are absolutely right. There are two reasons for my thinking, one objective, one subjective.
Objectively, I cannot have a cup, for many reasons, so I will have to drive to the track and back home. That's why an RS seems the car for me. And for a 6hr drive each way, I need AC.
Subjectively, I want the car to be as pure and light as possible, as per Savy's view. I cut my tootbrush in half when I take it sailing.

Originally Posted by leif997
as they say..."if you have to ask; you wouldn't understand"...
Thanks, I hope someday I will be blessed with with a fraction of what you understand.

Best, w
Old 05-06-2011, 03:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Way too many references, including some by Mooty himself elsewhere. What happened?
exhaust blew a hole. remember i DRIVE FLAT OUT. lasted 100 min. then melted.

someone find me an allocation at msrp, i may just be tempted. i no longer have loyalty to any dealers. this particular dealer lost about $1M in revenue through my referral business AND i will do everything i can to sway buyers away from carlsen porsche.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:11 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
This is all I know.
No fire, just smoke: http://gt2gt3cup.org/showthread.php?t=113&referrerid=7
LOL, that was the first weekend.
two weekends ago, i blew it up again.
i drive FLAT OUT.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:14 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks. Guess we'll have to wait for the "other" one. Hope it's not too bad
just need new bumper cover.
it's being worked on now. memorial weekend i will be racing PCA at button willow. let's hope nothing else melts. or else i need a cup car sooner than expected.... and so will the divorce.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Way too many references, including some by Mooty himself elsewhere. What happened?
exhaust blew a hole. remember i DRIVE FLAT OUT. lasted 100 min. then melted.

someone find me an allocation at msrp, i may just be tempted. i no longer have loyalty to any dealers. this particular dealer lost about $1M in revenue through my referral business AND i will do everything i can to sway buyers away from carlsen porsche.
Can I have dibs on ur 4.0 when u sell?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:31 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Porsche UK gives options:

99 Colour to sample (Metallic) £ 4,208.00

98 Colour to sample (Solid) £ 4,208.00
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: GT3 RS 4.0 at MSRP (or better)