Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is my planning config ....

http://www.tomoking.protovision.cz/Porsche/tominek.pdf

Last edited by Tominek; 05-01-2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: change
Old 05-01-2011, 06:33 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 767 Posts

Believe me there's still plenty of weight savings to be had in these cars without butchering them. Start with the wheels. Exhaust and especially the interior have plenty to reward you with.
As a daily driver, the only place to really lose weight where it counts is the exhaust. Eventually I'll lose the 2 big side cans as well, but keepingt hem for warranty and highway cruise comfort for now.
With the "weight optimized" carpets is there still al lot to be saved in the interior?

CF front fenders, lightweight battery, etc, is mostly losing weight in front. Much less important.

and I have one dilema. PCCB - Yes or not
Congratulations!
To configure a 4.0, stuff of dreams

I really don't see the point of PCCB, unless you like yellow calipers so much.
Better invest in superlight wheels.

If you are going to track it hard more then 10 days a year, PCCB seems tricky. Many convert to steel.
I can't say that PCCB is the cause but it seems that reports of ICE mode and cars running out of brakes often have PCCB.
If you don't track the car, steel is more then enough for street driving.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Nice specs, I love the alcantara everywhere. It wears pretty good.

I just looked at the configurator in German, the US is not active yet.

White wheels will be a nightmare, dirty in 5 minutes. Grey perhaps? It fits well with the grey accents!
Can you get the roll bar in white? I like that in mine.

Personally not a big fan of all the red stuff inside, especially with the understated look of the 4.0
I don't see the thicker steering wheel option? I really like mine, but big hands ;-)

Maybe paint the ugly sprayers for the headlights, they are chrome standard and it is not expensive to paint them white to hide them better.

Don't forget 90L tank! 60L only lasts 120Km (150Km in 3.6!) on track in a 3.8 so even less for 4.0

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 05-01-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:54 AM
Tominek
Track Day

I will get my RS on the track max 2-3 times a year.
I have Radical SR4 for track days and endurance races ....

my new config
http://www.tomoking.protovision.cz/Porsche/tominek.pdf

Last edited by Tominek; 05-01-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: change
Old 05-01-2011, 09:49 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
As a daily driver, the only place to really lose weight where it counts is the exhaust...With the "weight optimized" carpets is there still al lot to be saved in the interior?...
For the exhaust Porsche could've made it lighter.

Now the interior; the inside door panels can be replaced for something much lighter (alá 993RS) but the middle console all the way back to the "rear" console, foot well and door lighting plus cabling, power windows (plus mechanism), all the sound deadening material, all could removed.

On the exterior; lighter wheels, CF roof, CF decklid, aluminum bumper bars, Ti suspension Springs and CF intake manifold; all would reduce weight.

Now let me be clear, this 4.0 is about 90% there and Porsche has done a great job with it and by no means am I complainning, more than anything I'm nit picking. It's just that for me, at that price point with their stated objective, I expected they'd do it all.

Still I think it's an awesome 911, IMHO one of the best ever.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:23 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tominek
Nice one. What's up with the 2-year warranty???

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Now the interior; the inside door panels can be replaced for something much lighter (alá 993RS) but the middle console all the way back to the "rear" console, foot well and door lighting plus cabling, power windows (plus mechanism), all the sound deadening material, all could removed.

...I'm nit picking. It's just that for me, at that price point with their stated objective, I expected they'd do it all.

Still I think it's an awesome 911, IMHO one of the best ever.
You are really nit picking . Its a street car, won't do without some sound deadening, I cannot talk on the phone hand-free already in my regular GT3. For racing, you have to remove bunch of things anyway, then you get to the weight you want, but for a street car, this is the minimum IMO.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:56 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Nice one. What's up with the 2-year warranty???

You are really nit picking . Its a street car, won't do without some sound deadening, I cannot talk on the phone hand-free already in my regular GT3. For racing, you have to remove bunch of things anyway, then you get to the weight you want, but for a street car, this is the minimum IMO.
Like I said I'm nit picking.

Sound is part of the experience and for me anything that muffles the 6 piece orchestra in the rear is frankly unnecessary.

Btw removing is easy and cheap but replacing with better engineered, lighter pieces is more difficult and more expensive. And these cars shouldn't be butchered.

Then again, for me @ $200K+ I expect them to go all out. They do, however need to leave room for improvement for the 991 GT3RS.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Tominek
Track Day

2 - years warranty ... this is standard for all car manufacturers in Europe.
Only Japan cars have 3 year ....

Price in my country ..... in my spec will be 185 000 Euro with all taxes (20 % VAT) .... - 5% (discount)
Old 05-01-2011, 04:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Specs nicely updated! Love it.

No 90L tank?
Only don't like Chrono ;-)
Old 05-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,877 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I don't get it.

People complaining about the price being in the $185k range, when some people here paid that or more for used GT3 RS back in 2007 and 2008 that were not that much better (if any) than the 997.1 GT3.

Some people that paid way over $200k for the 997 GT2 back in 2008 which is an inferior car and a pig compared to the 997 GT3 RS 4.0.

We cannot compare used (depreciated price) to new price. Most GT3 RS 3.8 were in the $140k range, and I think the $185k price is a great price, not a bargain, but not overpriced either like the 997 GT2 RS.

50Hp more, less weight, more mechanical grip, more aero, great graphics, and a plaque that indicates this is really a limited edition, lovely! and instant classic.

Mooty, I will buy it from you.
That about sums it up.

Done:
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2011, 04:54 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Just to correct my post #62 above: 15 cars for Canada, some still available.

Quick Reply: Who is placing an order?