Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who is placing an order?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:14 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we probably wont get the lexan rear and side windows. just to get the black is 3100 plus any markups and im not feeling the pdk steering wheel. i know the car will be a beast on the track but like mentioned already, im still trying to get everything out of my .2RS
Old 04-28-2011, 02:23 PM
chrisducati
AutoX

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
"Smart" is a funny word -- never really means smart per se. Sometimes means pain as in "oh, that smarts" or "doesn't do the main thing it's meant to do" as in "smart phone" ... rarely intended to mean shrewd or intelligent anymore ... : )
Right, but does "dumb" still have a single meaning (in the car world at least)? Maybe we can be smart and dumb at the same time.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini
$185K is about $35K of stealing.

Seriously though. Send your current car for a 3.9L upgrade for $20-$30k (esp those with the 3.6L), and you are at OVER 500 bhp.
Originally Posted by jenk12m
we probably wont get the lexan rear and side windows. just to get the black is 3100 plus any markups and im not feeling the pdk steering wheel. i know the car will be a beast on the track but like mentioned already, im still trying to get everything out of my .2RS
It would be a departure from previous GT3's to get the plastic windows (even though Porsche could source USA DOT approved plastic windows) but I agree the PDK steering wheel is surely an inside joke or an unintended faux pas drawing attention to the absence of PDK from the RS. I doubt Porsche received any more consistent feedback than to bring PDK to the GT3.

These cars are not seriously "available" to amateur drivers to extract their full potential. It's about driving a car that can always reward improvements in the driver without the car limiting the driver.

As for the price. I'm keen to see the full extent of the parts that went into the 4.0 stroker.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:00 PM
s4awd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I'll pick up a lightly used one when the next latest and greatest comes out.
Count me in as well. Though by that time, the next GT3RS would be out and with more hp, better specs, and better handling, I can imagine it being tough to go backwards and not have the latest and greatest. Unless of course if the next RSdrove like crap. Will have to wait and see.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:20 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

"Who is placing an order?"

Not me.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I'll probably order one - but hoping for a couple more color choices.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 PM
jenk12m
Banned

i wonder if they will allow PTS
Old 04-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Presumably this car is the swan song of the Mezger block. It'll be the one to own in twenty years which should make the bubble wrap crowd happy.

For a car you just plan to thrash on the track it's a tough sell over the 3.8 RS. I like the looks a lot more than the 997.2 RS though.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:01 PM
jenk12m
Banned

this is the perfect car for the bubble wrap crowd, i know a guy who has 2 porsches and doesnt drive them a lick. he's trying to get a allocation for a 4.0
Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Who is more fool? The fool or the fool that puts PCCBS on an RS4.0LE?"
Old 04-28-2011, 08:39 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I wonder what the so-called premium for the 4.0 would be in relation to the 3.8 if the latter's price was established today, in today's global economy? I bet it wouldn't be $50k or whatever it is now.

At $185, to a Canadian, it is not outrageous at all (all relative, of course). That is actually pretty close to what a 3.8 was/is here.

Again, I like it and would if I could.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
I wonder what the so-called premium for the 4.0 would be in relation to the 3.8 if the latter's price was established today, in today's global economy? I bet it wouldn't be $50k or whatever it is now.

At $185, to a Canadian, it is not outrageous at all (all relative, of course). That is actually pretty close to what a 3.8 was/is here.

Again, I like it and would if I could.

Interesting perspective. The US market is riding in some artificial bubble -- I wonder if the European auto makers just hedged against the Euro to keep their price tags viable for volume to support their fixed cost infrastructure. Whatever is causing the skew -- it can't be sustained indefinitely.

As for the 3.8 RS price, it's only a few days since it finished production and the 2011 price increase over the 2010 introduction was trivial. If we incremented the prices, the 4.0 RS would be ...

2008 $123K 415hp
2011 $135K 450hp
2012 $147K 500hp (actual $185K)

So the premium is about $38K. The parts bin is:
RSR engine parts
GT2 RS carbon hood and fenders
GT2 RS suspension parts (rear toe links, other spherical joints?)
GT2 RS component weight reduction (aluminum braces, other?)
GT2 RS overall length (one inch shorter than 3.8 RS)
4.0 RS bespoke canards (not to be discounted as real aero)

Maybe someone with an RSR parts price list can put a price on the engine upgrades? I think we have to put the emissions R&D into the bucket of the price increment from the 3.8 and not take it out of this premium above the increment. And the 3.8 is not to be sniffed at -- it's already an expensive engine to build, the only real high ticket items for the 4.0 (at first blush) are the crank and the intake. The pistons and cylinders, the con rod -- they're all just different, not necessarily all that much more expensive other than being ordered in smaller quantities at todays much increased commodities prices.

Looking down the shopping list, the 2 RS parts are trivial, literally in the hundreds of dollars.

Here's some info on the aero of the canards.
http://f1-dictionary.110mb.com/canards.html

Still no diffuser on the 911. I noticed this video illustrating that the diffuser on the 997.2 body has little or no impact until relatively very high speeds -- over 100 mph. So it could be of some benefit in helping the keep the rear from lifting, but Porsche has elected to increase the angle of attack of the rear wing (which was already pretty aggressive in the 3.8 but doesn't do much ... I just drove a track day without it and the impact was trivial ... actually good fun ... but I digress ... again ...) and thereby increase drag a little (which no doubt comes from the canards and the wider fenders ... every square inch of frontal area contributes to the Cd.

Here's the visual on the canard with an auxiliary vortex plane:

Last edited by Carrera GT; 04-29-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Guys' white is the only right color, so no problem.
I agree the steering wheel does not fit in the ugly red interior at all. I like my blacked out one much better

But, I'd still get one if I could. if I can get a different steering wheel and ugle red interior delete great. If not I'll still take it.
I import and just looking at the EUR/USD exhange rate it should be a lot more expensive then last years RS...

GT2 RS carbon hood and fenders
GT2 RS suspension parts (rear toe links, other spherical joints?)
GT2 RS component weight reduction (aluminum braces, other?)
GT2 RS overall length (one inch shorter than 3.8 RS) ====>3.8 same length as 4.0 same car. Maybe typo somewhere.
4.0 RS bespoke canards (not to be discounted as real aero)

CGT, you're kidding right?
Shocks and springs are different as well on the GT2RS. I wonder what's on the 4.0LE?

This list his hardly in the hunderds of dollars, even without the carbon hood end fenders.
To me the baller canards alone are worth 38k. I'm going to bolt on whatever is just a couple of hundred dollars...Someone brake out the PET and prices so I can get my orer together ;-)
Old 04-28-2011, 11:09 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

As an extra data point: Canadian "published" price is $211,100 (yeah, not sure why the extra $100) https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...ml#post8511003 . So some quick math:

$211,100 CDN X 1.13 (13% harmonized sales tax, HST) X 1.05 (current US/CDN exchange rate) = $250,470 USD

Or leaving taxes out of it: $211,100 X 1.05 = $221,655 USD

BTW, many Canadian Porsche dealerships are within a 1-hour drive to the good ole US of A.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

It's stupid...but I am probably gonna do it. I want the motor. Even though you can build a 3.9 for 25 grand and achieve similar HP, you 1) don't get a warranty 2) lack factory pedigree and 3) will get killed on resale as the audience that will appreciate AND PAY FOR a prior owner's pet engine product is pretty thin.

Clearly, Porsche could have done more on appearance and weight. On the latter point I am still unclear as there is no way a euro spec car will weigh considerably less than a US version and there seems to be some uncertainty in what the car truly weighs....but it isn't light enough anyway.

Quick Reply: Who is placing an order?