Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Stainless steel brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:24 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless steel brake lines

After a few weeks of ownership of an '11 GT3, and a track weekend, the nit-picker in me has finally emerged. I still find just about everything about the car brilliant. The only fault I find is a somewhat soft brake pedal feel when driving casually. I've got the PCCBs and the braking power, and the modulation, and "hot" brake feel are fine. Wondering if SS lines would help pedal feel in "regular" driving. I've read that Cup cars have the same lines as OEM, that SS lines are a waste of $ and time, and the like. Objective performance is not the issue, it's that I like a firm pedal when driving casually. Also, for some reason I'm finding it difficult to find SS lines that fit the '11. Thoughts solicited.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:31 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Doubt it'll make any difference whatsoever in street driving when your brake fluids won't be anywhere hot.

I'd argue that the braided steel lines help only when you expect the fluids to get really hot, to the point of softening the OEM rubber tubing.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:34 PM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Change to decent fluid and make sure that they're properly bled. Stock pads go away quickly with steels after track use, not sure about PCCBs
Old 03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have steel brakes. I had this feel of soft and long pedal travel this past weekend at Summit Point. There are plenty of pads left on all corners, plenty fluid (no boiling), but the pedal travel has double basically.

After several sessions, even with cool down half-lap, when I parked the car the brakes were smoking, literally. Granted cooling can be improved probably, but level of softness and pedal travel took away some of the confidence while on track. I was thinking of SS lines, it won't hurt, but probably will not change the feel noticeably either.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:27 PM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Hmm. Since replacing the stock brake fluid (first mottul rbf, now castrol srf) and going to pagid RS29 pads I've had no issues except normal disc rotor wear. The stock fluid and pads were terrible as things heated up and they really seemed to eat the rotors as well. If you use em, they're going to get hot, smoke and eventually the calipers will change color as well....a badge of courage. I guess I haven't heard anyone on this forum make a case for SS lines, but I probably am missing something. You are obviously an experienced driver so let us know the outcome.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:34 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

It was a really cold weekend too, 38-40 at max, so I am a little worried. I was using Motul 600 and Yellow RS-19s. We'll see how this progresses, hopefully not through a tire wall
Old 03-30-2011, 04:53 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try castrol SRF

slightly harder brake feel..
and amazing when things get hot..
Old 03-30-2011, 05:20 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Originally Posted by got2go
Hmm. Since replacing the stock brake fluid (first mottul rbf, now castrol srf) and going to pagid RS29 pads I've had no issues except normal disc rotor wear. The stock fluid and pads were terrible as things heated up and they really seemed to eat the rotors as well. If you use em, they're going to get hot, smoke and eventually the calipers will change color as well....a badge of courage. I guess I haven't heard anyone on this forum make a case for SS lines, but I probably am missing something. You are obviously an experienced driver so let us know the outcome.
Nice report. I'm assuming you have steel brakes?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:40 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Originally Posted by got2go
Nice report. I'm assuming you have steel brakes?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I was going to get SS brake lines but some real honest people that could have sold me them said on a newer car like mine I'm wasting my money. The stock brake lines are good lines and it will take a while for them to degrade and soften up.

I use Motul RBF660, Pagid RS29 Yellows front and RS14 Blacks rear and stock rotors. Sebring is tough on brakes and I have good stopping power and no fade really.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

My guess is that the SS lines are not going to help a lot, especially for what I'm talking about -- pedal feel on cold brakes. Still, used to have a 964 w/ Big Reds, but with C2 master cylinder (which can produce a mushy pedal due to mismatch). The SS lines did help a bit with pedal feel in all conditions, but it wasn't night and day. The lines/fluid are relatively cheap compared to other things we do to these cars.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this mod but only because I was having the calipers rebuilt anyway. Interestingly, it appears that 19 of the 20 ceramic insulators on the tips of my pistons were missing. Anyone else have this happen? I know that they didn't just fall off during pad changes so I assume they deteriorated over time.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:02 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TTurbine
Try castrol SRF

slightly harder brake feel..
and amazing when things get hot..
That's definitely next on my list.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:10 AM
jlr
Rennlist Member

I've got several bottles of Motul 600 that I never got around to using. How does Motul compare with SRF or others for pedal feel?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by jlr
I've got several bottles of Motul 600 that I never got around to using. How does Motul compare with SRF or others for pedal feel?
+1, I'm on Motul 660. I was thinking on trying out RS683 as they claim less brake compression feel.

Quick Reply: Stainless steel brake lines