Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone done the Porsche Driving School at Barber

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:23 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

Even given the inherent bias that most of us on this Board have for anything that has the crest from Zuffenhausen affixed to it, the PSDS is top-drawer from start to finish. I did the two-day school a couple of years ago and I came away highly impressed. Outstanding facility, cars, instructors and curriculum. The track at Barber is beautiful and interesting although not in the same class as a Watkins Glen/Mid-Ohio/Road America, etc. I can reccommend the PSDS without reservation.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense to any DE instructors out there but you really can't compare. These are professional Porsche race drivers that provide a higher level instruction that someone doing it part time just cannot match. The PSDS is well with it.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:20 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

I've got a question on the subject:

I am a solo qualified driver at all the clubs I drive in (including PCA and NASA), do I still need to start from the most basic level? Or do they bump you up depending on your driving resume?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:07 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
I've got a question on the subject:

I am a solo qualified driver at all the clubs I drive in (including PCA and NASA), do I still need to start from the most basic level? Or do they bump you up depending on your driving resume?
You should call them and get a reccomendation on which course to start with. But with your experience, I don't think you should go with the 1 day course.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:13 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964C4
I am going to the MASTERS course on April, 16 +17

Anyone here also attending the same dates ?
I'm on the standby list for that class. I think there is at least one person ahead of me, so it's doubtful that I'll get in...darnit. At any rate, my name is <deleted>. If you see that nametag be sure to say hello.

Last edited by Bob Rouleau; 07-08-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: OP request
Old 03-23-2011, 06:08 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
You should call them and get a reccomendation on which course to start with. But with your experience, I don't think you should go with the 1 day course.
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking as well.

It's not like I will be doing PSDS any time soon, I'm just buying a car so I don't have the $ to invest in $3k coaching...

Guy Cosmo used to have some events in S FL, I may try to get in touch with him. It was more reasonable
Old 03-23-2011, 06:17 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
I'm on the standby list for that class. I think there is at least one person ahead of me, so it's doubtful that I'll get in...darnit. At any rate, my name <deleted>. If you see that nametag be sure to say hello.
I was also on waiting list, #2 on the line and got lucky 10 days ago !

My name is Jens and I am from Guatemala; let's see if we can meet there, good luck to you !

Last edited by Bob Rouleau; 07-08-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: OP request
Old 03-23-2011, 06:55 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
An old but good thread, with tons of pics
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...se-course.html
wow - that's an awesome thread. have to do that one day soon....perhaps May
Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris R.
I did it last year. Very fun.
The hotel was super nice although its a bit far from the track.
The event is good, I did the masters course (2 days) last April. The amount of time in the classroom is short enough not to be boring and then you get out on the track to go through different sections an then the whole track at speed. There is also some very fun skidpad fun (man is it ever slippery!!) as well as an autoX with boxsters and we also go to beat on a Panemera Turbo.
The quality of instruction was excellent and I can honestly say, as a PCA instructor, I learned a coupe of great things that I use and now incorporate into my teaching.
They also get you into the cars and video a few laps which is cool.
The track is amazing and the amendments (track museum, etc) is something to see.

Hope that helps.
care to share?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I did the Masters course last year and enjoyed it. Had fun, enjoyed the track and the instructors. Worth doing. Loved the in car data system and video! Barber itself is worth a visit, what a facility and the museum, wow!

Not cheap but remember you are wearing out their tires and brakes which accounts for a chunk of the price. A couple of days like that is worth half a set of tires if you do it with your own car.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964C4
I was also on waiting list, #2 on the line and got lucky 10 days ago !

My name is Jens and I am from Guatemala; let's see if we can meet there, good luck to you !
OK, so that means I will be in if one more person cancels. We'll see what happens. I hope I get to meet you. If not, have fun and I will be in for June at the latest.

The masters class seems to stay booked more than the precision and performance classes. It looks to be offered only once a month.

Quick Reply: Anyone done the Porsche Driving School at Barber