Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone done the Porsche Driving School at Barber

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:02 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Anyone done the Porsche Driving School at Barber

Track looks nice. Very nice hotel. Wondering what the event is like??
Old 03-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

I did it last year. Very fun.
The hotel was super nice although its a bit far from the track.
The event is good, I did the masters course (2 days) last April. The amount of time in the classroom is short enough not to be boring and then you get out on the track to go through different sections an then the whole track at speed. There is also some very fun skidpad fun (man is it ever slippery!!) as well as an autoX with boxsters and we also go to beat on a Panemera Turbo.
The quality of instruction was excellent and I can honestly say, as a PCA instructor, I learned a coupe of great things that I use and now incorporate into my teaching.
They also get you into the cars and video a few laps which is cool.
The track is amazing and the amendments (track museum, etc) is something to see.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:25 PM
bravocharlie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto. I did it a few years ago and did a write up on here somewhere including a bunch of photos. Sorry, I took the photos down a while ago, but here's the thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...e-for-pde.html
Old 03-22-2011, 11:26 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I was there in Nov 2006 and did the entry level 2 day course and loved it. I stayed at Ross Bridge and liked it too.

I am sure MJones will be along here to add his experiences. I believe he has been more than once.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:12 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PSDS I've done it more than a few times since 2002, and will be going again in late April.

The instructor base is is the finest around and know how to communicate.

Some people po po the classes beforehand as being to rudimental but they are designed for drivers of all
skill levels. It isn't until the 'Masters Class" that they turn you loose on the track alone alone.

Some other alumni Rennlisters are: Carrera GT, Couchas, PogueMoHone, Bob Rouleau, mdrums, savyboy.
Ask them what they think of PSDS!

I've always said if they had a money back guarantee they would have no takers..
It's just that good!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

An old but good thread, with tons of pics
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...se-course.html
Old 03-23-2011, 02:21 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Did the one day about a year ago. Not bad.

As an example of how focused they are on service, I stopped by the track today on the way thru town. I called and asked if the shop was open (wanted to buy a PSDS gear). Weren't open, but, they sent someone over and opened the shop just for me. Top notch organization and well worth the time spent.

For those of us that track, the one day may not be so good, but, the 2 and 3 day programs are superb.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:43 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
PSDS I've done it more than a few times since 2002, and will be going again in late April.

The instructor base is is the finest around and know how to communicate.

Some people po po the classes beforehand as being to rudimental but they are designed for drivers of all
skill levels. It isn't until the 'Masters Class" that they turn you loose on the track alone alone.

Some other alumni Rennlisters are: Carrera GT, Couchas, PogueMoHone, Bob Rouleau, mdrums, savyboy.
Ask them what they think of PSDS!

I've always said if they had a money back guarantee they would have no takers..
It's just that good!
Originally Posted by MJones
An old but good thread, with tons of pics
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...se-course.html
What he said. : )

MJones is the authority on the USA PSDS operation.

I'll say the hotel and all that is boring, mediocre and irrelevant. Getting in and out of Birmingham Alabama is no fun. Who wants to have a "speed date" with the TSA clowns? But once you're there and on track, it's immediately worth the effort.

The track is challenging and connects every turn with something to learn and numerous somethings to unlearn.

The school itself is good value for any driver wanting to "sharpen the sword" and great value for any 911 driver.

I've been on the track and competing since the 80's (yes, I first competed in a hill climb when I was two years old ... the math adds up ...) and consider myself a competent or proficient, but not exceptional, driver. When I moved to the US, I recorded a class lap record at Sears with PCA in a 911, which I am proud to have accomplished. Nevertheless, I still learned a thing or two from the people at PSDS. Especially Daniel Eastman and Cass Whitehead. Look at the resumes of the instructors there who will be riding with you, driving with you, driving in lead-follow, watching you from the guard rail and reviewing your in-car video and data acquisition ... these guys are not just skilled amateurs with communication and coaching skills, they're professional drivers for teams which have serious runs on the board.

If you go to these sorts of schools fixed on the intention of finding solutions to problems you've not solved for yourself, you'll come away the richer.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:33 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Been there three times, absolutely outstanding instruction. The track is great etc. Look at the article I wrote for "Pano" last year.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Been there, would love to do it again soon...top notch everything
Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
jshudson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it, you will not regret it. It is great value.
So much so, I'm going back at the end of April again myself.

But MJones is "The Leading Authority" on this subject; he is your best source for insight.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:15 AM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I am going to the MASTERS course on April, 16 +17

Anyone here also attending the same dates ?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm going to plan to go in August- hope it's not too hot then.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:33 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd be interested to hear more about the non-Master course experience. I understand that it is a requirement to do so prior you can do the other more advanced course.

From what I read here (I have never attended, of course), there seems to be 2 extreme.. the crowd here all say it is top notch.. (and I trust the folks here, of course.. talk me into getting a GT3 and all.. LOL!) While some other posts I read talk about how one should just spend time doing DE as the course does not offer much (in the sense of pushing the car, etc.), but rather, more a "experience" (good for people who have never been on track)..

I am a relative beginner and have now done 14-15 days last year. Driving school is something that I am considering this year. There's Skip Barber here locally (at Lime Rock).. but PSDS is obviously another choice for a Porsche owner..

Thoughts?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:56 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just attend PSDS, you will not be disappointed!

The first classes are lead and follow, but don't let that hold you back. The track is a combination of
blind fall away corners that challenge even the best of drivers.

The most important thing you can take away are proper skills that will stay with you through-out your track career!

Why is the repeat rate for various classes so high?
The "experience" must be pretty good!

Quick Reply: Anyone done the Porsche Driving School at Barber