Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Zone 2 VIR

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Zone 2 VIR

Woww, what a weekend it has been. Great in many ways, but also few unpleasantries. There were ~200 cars, lots of GTs (about 32-35), some very fast drivers and weather was perfect.

The black run group was over-crowded, but red group was ideal, dominated by the GTs. I had two students, so Friday and most of Saturday I was just rushing from car to car, and I wasn't driving too well, but I got the chance to get more acclimated with the car. I also gave two classes on data analysis on Friday and Saturday to the Boxster and Cayman Register drivers, so my schedule the first two days was busy to say the least. After lunch on Saturday I started to relax as my second student was really good and I moved her up to the white group, I stayed with her couple of more session, and she started solo'ing. Unfortunately, she ran out of brake pads on Saturday and could not run on Sunday.

The car? just perfection, and you all would know, it is not an exaggeration. Especially on Sunday, I had so much fun, trying different things, picking up speed and just hanging on to the car as best as I could. I just could not keep up with the big boys, like Ryan, Fritz or Brian, but I think I did alright within my own rights

There is no question, the car is so much better with SC off, but I left TC on; my rear brakes look alright, no unusual wear that I can from the outside. Also, TPMS did not interfere with anything, only the dash light staying on was a annoying, but that's it. The R888s performed very well this event, they were new, but their grip was impressive if you can get used to sliding a little. Interestingly, they worked better between 31-33 psi than any other for me.

Paddock is getting ready for the day:

Fritz was one of the fastest drivers out there:

You want to see RSes, come to a track event near you:

My car with the new OZ wheels and R888s:

Cheers,
Old 03-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice Fatih. I hope you will repeat the data analysis class for us in Potomac. I would really like to learn how to interpret it before buying a unit.

Will you be at Summit this coming weekend?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

I'll be there, but no classes scheduled for that event. See you there buddy.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Heard there was a bad accident in the red on sunday?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:31 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately yes, I did not want to bring it up, a close friend of ours. He is alright, I am not sure the car will make it

There were several incidents through the weekend, I am not sure of the statistics, but more than what I would say normal. May be it was the combination of the event being first one for many, combined with superb weather.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:36 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time I've missed this event in the last 4yrs. Glad there was a big turnout and sorry to hear about your buddy
Old 03-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default PCA Zone 2

Hi Fatih,
Great weekend

I'll add a full write up in the track/hpde/race section when I get a chance but in the mean time here's vid. That Sabbath song goes out to Ryan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySx2VlHxOvE
Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Heard there was a bad accident in the red on sunday?
Yes, car ended up 15ft on the embankment next to the bridge. Driver ok! Weather was awesome for mid march. Fritz and I hooked up on the second day and had a blast running together. He was running low 2:05s! and I ran low 204s. Of course he forgot to turn on his video for the session we ran nose to tail for a while. My best lap I ran I had to brake in the esses! I entered them at 134 ... I usually lift and enter around 129-130, so felt I had to brush the brake. Unfortunately tapped a bit too hard and dropped the speed to 107 (there went my 2:03!)

Here's the vid:

http://www.vimeo.com/21297765
Old 03-21-2011, 01:51 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Nice driving fritz, looked like a 2:05 or somewhere close
FTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Hi Fatih,
Great weekend
Same here Fritz, hope to see you at Summit as well

Originally Posted by rmag
I entered them at 134 ... I usually lift and enter around 129-130, so felt I had to brush the brake. Unfortunately tapped a bit too hard and dropped the speed to 107 (there went my 2:03!)

That's just crazy Ryan, hahaha. I cannot even imagine myself entering at that speed
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmag
Yes, car ended up 15ft on the embankment next to the bridge. Driver ok! Weather was awesome for mid march. Fritz and I hooked up on the second day and had a blast running together. He was running low 2:05s! and I ran low 204s. Of course he forgot to turn on his video for the session we ran nose to tail for a while. My best lap I ran I had to brake in the esses! I entered them at 134 ... I usually lift and enter around 129-130, so felt I had to brush the brake. Unfortunately tapped a bit too hard and dropped the speed to 107 (there went my 2:03!)

Here's the vid:

http://www.vimeo.com/21297765
Sweet vid

I'd of had a 2.04 as well but some dumb *** in a GT3 RS wouldn't let me pass while I had the perfect draft going. Effed up the best lap of my life
Old 03-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Same here Fritz, hope to see you at Summit as well

That's just crazy Ryan, hahaha. I cannot even imagine myself entering at that speed
I'll try to make the Summit event in August I understand you get tons of track time, watch the race etc... which would be a blast.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:03 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Thanks for the vid Ryan, you guys are too fast for me!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:12 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

That Sabbath song goes out to Ryan
Would have preferred Jerry Don't need to comment on the vid, as I saw it first hand all weekend.

Sweet vid
I'd of had a 2.04 as well but some dumb *** in a GT3 RS wouldn't let me pass while I had the perfect draft going. Effed up the best lap of my life
There's a thing called bumped drafting...I would have moved over then.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Nice driving fritz, looked like a 2:05 or somewhere close
Thanks man!

The lap time was around 2.06 the 1st lap and then a 2.08 in traffic. It was the last session and the rears were begging for mercy. I think my best lap of the weekend was a 2.05 even following Ryan on Sunday morning when it was cold outside and I still had some meat in the tires. I'm slowly smoothing out the ruff edges and should be able to shave some more time as the seat time accumulates.

Quick Reply: Zone 2 VIR