Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Does GT2RS Inventory at Dealers make it a lesser car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does GT2RS Inventory at Dealers make it a lesser car?

I've read a few threads where comments have been made regarding the handful of cars sitting in dealer showrooms. If I can paraphrase a bit, comments have been, "The Car didn't sell out, so it must be a dud." In todays day and age a build of 500 cars isn't really limited and the performance of the car is met by other sub $300k supercars, so I don't think this is a classic investors car. But it is the highest performance Porsche ever. For that alone, it deserves a special place in Porsche history. 620 HP from a factory warranteed, flat six is an amazing technical achievement. Not to mention the razor sharp handling.

The GT2RS is a phenomenal supercar, but it does seem like it's $260k price tag and lack of 100% sellout (due to dealer speculation and a few last minute walkaways) have dampened the enthusiasm a bit. Not having a more radical re-body, plus the 500 unit build and with the high price, I think this car was always destined for a little bit of a slow roll. It will be appreciated more for what it is vs. what it isn't, when the dealer cars clear out and more people get to experience the GT2RS in it's natural habitat, the track. It would be disappointing to think that the GTRS is already yesterdays news. In the US, the cars haven't even been here long enough to need an oil change.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:38 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally I don't think the inventory situation makes it any lesser of a car although I do think it is indicative of a misreading of the market by Porsche.

I can only speak for myself and my opinion is that the special tweaked out 911 story has gotten a little old. Porsche has never tried to market a 911 at the 250k (base!) price point, which puts it in the same budget as cars perceived as 'exotics' like the 458 and even more importantly the new McLaren. Power alone is not sufficient to get buyers to fork out that kind of money when you have options like those. Personally I need to feel like the company "worked for it" and don't get that feeling from the 2RS. And a real supercar needs to have a supercar sound IMO!! Disclaimer is I have not ridden in one ...

What I figured is that if I'm going to spend 260-265 on a Porsche (by the time you add carbon fenders and a few things) then I might as well stretch and spend 300 and get a Carrera GT. No offense to GT2RS but the CGT is a different league entirely and not that much more money ... Dare to even call it a good value.

With regards to the fact that it is the highest performance Porsche ever: that is true, until the next Porsche in a year or two.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:46 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

porsche is misunderstood by people who don't race.
anybody who take a 2 rs for a test drive would want to buy one immediately.
to the (deep- pocketed) layman, it looks like any other 911, so the misinformed just dismiss it without any consideration or thought.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

the 2RS is $$$ but so are many other cars.
it is a very important mile stone in porsche history. may be the last GT1 turbo car.
many ppl would move to ferrari at this price, but there are ppl who buy nothing but porsches. the 2RS is aimed at those ppl.

superquant makes a valid point. CGT is in a different league than 2RS. however, i personally know of no less than 5 ppl who own both CGT and 2RS. and i would think there are a lot more out there who holds both of these in their hidden stash. different but both important cars.

also part of the reason these aren't sold out is due to the current econ uncertainty. if this was 2006, these would have been gone long ago.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:48 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
porsche is misunderstood by people who don't race.
that is precisely why i dont want to drive one.....
Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BBTurbo
I've read a few threads where comments have been made regarding the handful of cars sitting in dealer showrooms. If I can paraphrase a bit, comments have been, "The Car didn't sell out, so it must be a dud." In todays day and age a build of 500 cars isn't really limited and the performance of the car is met by other sub $300k supercars, so I don't think this is a classic investors car. But it is the highest performance Porsche ever. For that alone, it deserves a special place in Porsche history. 620 HP from a factory warranteed, flat six is an amazing technical achievement. Not to mention the razor sharp handling.

The GT2RS is a phenomenal supercar, but it does seem like it's $260k price tag and lack of 100% sellout (due to dealer speculation and a few last minute walkaways) have dampened the enthusiasm a bit. Not having a more radical re-body, plus the 500 unit build and with the high price, I think this car was always destined for a little bit of a slow roll. It will be appreciated more for what it is vs. what it isn't, when the dealer cars clear out and more people get to experience the GT2RS in it's natural habitat, the track. It would be disappointing to think that the GTRS is already yesterdays news. In the US, the cars haven't even been here long enough to need an oil change.
Unsold cars in a limited edition is symptomatic of failure in the sales operations and perhaps in the executive decisions and planning. The GT2 RS was $245,000. Given the world and the USA are still in the grasp of what would be called a depression if it weren't such a "downer" for the "everything is coming up roses" politicians and an electorate that can't take reality, well, if the GT2 RS arrived in the same buoyant "roaring" economy of the real estate bubble, no doubt whatsoever, the GT2 RS would be changing hands for $50K over sticker and we'd not be giving it a second thought.

The car itself achieved everything I think it was claimed to achieve (give or take some perhaps overzealous remarks from Preuninger.) If you look back at far less important 911's that were produced in limited numbers (and arguably much less fanfare, less historical significance and relatively very high prices for their time) I think it's practically inevitable that the GT2 RS will be one of the great ones.

At US$245K, it's a status and collector car, it's not a track car except for the insane (you know who you are) and the few in various other world economies where it's little more than a dent in the credit card. So it goes.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Richie18
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
At US$245K, it's a status and collector car, it's not a track car except for the insane (you know who you are) and the few in various other world economies where it's little more than a dent in the credit card. So it goes.
I think here in lies the problem,

1) its a track car, but at over $245k there aren't many interested in a expensive track car.

2) Those that can afford a $250k track car look for something more exotic, if the GT2 RS was shaped like the new Carrera GT ,with all else being identical, it would sell like a hotcake

3) It doesn't sound exotic, it could make 50 less HP but if it sounded like a Concord on takeoff everyone would buy it. Let's be honest when we say that one of huge factors the Carrera GT is so desired/purchased is because of its sound.

I would love to own a GT2 RS just as much as any other Rennlister, but I think the GT2 RS will be forgotten by many since it was preceded by the Carrera GT and possibly succeeded by the 918 Spyder.

It is however the one of the greatest 911's to date, and with the 918 on the way that could limit a GT2 RS successor for quite some time.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

I am not surprised at unsold GT2RS or even GT3RS in this economy.

But I am very surprised at people paying $204K for a Speedster. I wonder if they really know that they are just paying for a Carrera GTS cab with a slightly different body kit.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:20 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
But I am very surprised at people paying $204K for a Speedster.
have 89 speedster. oh that a** is something else.
but the new speedster??? i am lost.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:34 PM
A430v
Racer

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
I guess, I'm one of the very few, that test drove one, and didn't want to buy it. hahahaha.

PS: At last count, 2 weeks ago, there were 11 or 17 GT2 RSs sitting on dealer lots unsold ~ new inventory, not resales or used ones coming bk. That's not bad, considering about 150 cars came to the US?... 90% sold out. As stocks dwindle, the cars will go!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:16 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Wonder if the RS 4.0 vaporware car might be hurting sales of the 2RS to those who intend to "drive" the cars... NA; the Last of the Mezgers; Last 997; true racing genes if RSR engine dropped in; being announced in 3 weeks?

Yes, surprising when compared to Speedster or sold out Sport Classic. But yeah, different "demographic" I guess.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the GT2 RS is an amazing machine, but not worth the asking price unless one is completely biased toward 911s. For that kind of money, I'd take the new McLaren which is technologically a superior car for less money.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:04 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

After 4 trackdays with a clearbra and the damage i'v got with my RS I would be hard pressed to trash a $250k car on track.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:13 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

around how many are unsold. i was under the impressions they were all presold..
Old 03-14-2011, 03:08 AM
A430v
Racer

Originally Posted by rijowysock
around how many are unsold. i was under the impressions they were all presold..
Read my post above. 11-17, can't remember exactly. My dealer did a US wide inventory search. Pre-sold, yes, but some walked away... And of course, some had fictitious names on them...

Quick Reply: Does GT2RS Inventory at Dealers make it a lesser car?