Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Does GT2RS Inventory at Dealers make it a lesser car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:52 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by A430v
Read my post above. 11-17, can't remember exactly. My dealer did a US wide inventory search. Pre-sold, yes, but some walked away... And of course, some had fictitious names on them...
didn't see that post, thats not that many considering 500 made, the fictitious name thing i assume is normal for some.. put a deposit down but want to check the demand first... and then bail on a small deposit.. dealer surely isnt happy.

10-17 probably means a nice discount with some negotiation, 9-10% room, means 25k off the top? jeez.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:50 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Simply put: the 2RS is marketed (and priced) as a collector's item. But it ain't appealing to collectors.

Cars will always come up with better handling and higher bhp/$ ratio over time. IMO it's the styling--the emotional connection--that sets apart the true "collector's item" from the laundry list of "great" cars. What's another 30, 60 or even a 100bhps in another 10 years when the supercars at that point may boast well north of 1,000 horses? Same goes for ring time or whatever benchmark manufacturers choose to quantify handling. Whatever that benchmark, it's bound to be broken by a successor product. What holds value over time is that ducktail, that flatnose or that hump in the back, something for people to ooh and aah over, 10, 20, 30 years from now.

For the reasons above I think the 2RS is mispriced, albeit a mispriced great. Numbers don't lie--it just ain't clearing the inventory the same way that the CGT or even the Speedsters did (FWIW I think the Speedster's a much better economic proposition).

Don't get me wrong, I think the world of the 2RS and it's enviable that anyone could cough up that much dough for a track car. It's just that there may not enough people with the requisite brand loyalty and wherewithal to justify a production run of 500. I hazard to say that we'd be having a very different conversation today had PAG stopped the run at say 99 cars.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:58 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good points.
i have a 30 yr benz which is very slow, and not worth much, but it makes me feel good.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:02 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
At US$245K, it's a status and collector car, it's not a track car except for the insane (you know who you are)
Hey! lol

Originally Posted by Richie18
I think here in lies the problem,

1) its a track car, but at over $245k there aren't many interested in a expensive track car.

2) Those that can afford a $250k track car look for something more exotic, if the GT2 RS was shaped like the new Carrera GT ,with all else being identical, it would sell like a hotcake

3) It doesn't sound exotic, it could make 50 less HP but if it sounded like a Concord on takeoff everyone would buy it. Let's be honest when we say that one of huge factors the Carrera GT is so desired/purchased is because of its sound.
Richie, a brief owners counterpoint:

1. I wasn't. Until I tracked it! Oh what have I done...
2. Can afford a CarreraGT but have never wanted to buy one. Personally I find the 2RS to be more esthetically pleasing than CarreraGT. And I dislike CGT cockpit.
3. A stock GT2RS won't pass sound at Laguna Seca. I received the meatballs all day to prove it. It is not quiet (97+db). Is a CarreraGT sound wonderful? Yes indeed. Does the GT2RS sound great? Yes indeed. On my track days last week, several comments were made to me that the 2RS sound was second only to the 458 Challenge car running those days. That is a favorable real-life observation

The2RS needs to be experieced live and in person to appreciate exactly what it has to offer. Not trying to be defensive or argumentative, just making differing observations.

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
But I am very surprised at people paying $204K for a Speedster. I wonder if they really know that they are just paying for a Carrera GTS cab with a slightly different body kit.
Fully agreed with you Tim!

Originally Posted by FFaust
Wonder if the RS 4.0 vaporware car might be hurting sales of the 2RS to those who intend to "drive" the cars... NA; the Last of the Mezgers; Last 997; true racing genes if RSR engine dropped in; being announced in 3 weeks?
Francois I think you make an excellent and valid observation. No doubt in my mind that 2RS orders were sacrificed when the 4.0litre rumor surfaced.

Originally Posted by Jon70
I think the GT2 RS is an amazing machine, but not worth the asking price unless one is completely biased toward 911s. For that kind of money, I'd take the new McLaren which is technologically a superior car for less money.
Jon- I was one of the first on the McLaren "list" and still lust after a 458. However the 2RS was the final decision for a variety of reasons. Primary of which is I know if I choose to, it will stand up to heavy track use. Secondary the analog control feel. Third- manual transmission.

Having put both track and road miles on my 2RS I am totally digging it and have zero regrets of purchase. The delivery experience at Dana Point/El Toro is a memory I will remember for a very long time.

Is it a very expensive car? Yes. If you can afford one and you love to drive, should you buy one today? Without a doubt.

Also- Keep in mind: 458 and McLaren will be built until the market is glutted and vomits from excess. There will only ever be 500 GT2RS's (133 in US). As you all know, scarcity is a primary determinant of value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxbcNoM_oss
Old 03-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Richie18
Instructor

Thanks for the real life observations. Duly noted!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:33 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Savy, the speeds you're reaching at Laguna Seca are 7-8 mph faster than my former 996 GT3 lightened and on Hoosier tires. That GT2 RS is fast!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by BBTurbo
In todays day and age a build of 500 cars isn't really limited...so I don't think this is a classic investors car.
Originally Posted by CRex
Simply put: the 2RS is marketed (and priced) as a collector's item. But it ain't appealing to collectors.
Taken by itself, the GT2RS should ensure instant collectibility based on performance and production numbers. But add in the Sport Classic, Speedster, and rumored GT3RS 4.0, and the supply of $200k+ 'collectible' 911s is quite large; greater than demand.

I'll add: All Porsches will initially depreciate. All of the above 997 variants share platforms with $50k Boxsters. IMO, Porsche watched the 997GT3RS 3.6 trade at nearly $200k right before the recession, wanted in on the action, and created these 'collectible' models as pure profit centers. That, IMO, does not a 'collectible' make.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just stopped by Beverly Hills Porsche. The silver 2RS had a sold sign on it. Was talking to Eric and he said Porsche could have done better by limiting the number of cars manufactured. These cars should have been sold out before delivery.

Also mentioned that the 4.0L car may be Euro Only.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:29 PM
va122
Drifting

Euro only?!? Oh no!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:38 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is primarily a pricing issue. The car is amazing don't get me wrong. But its effectively a lightweight version of the 2008 with more boost and as others said its no CGT. Its special only because of its high price and Porsche marketed it as a special car by limiting the numbers. So, I think its overpriced for the market.

Secondly, its a supply and demand issue. Porsche misread the market for the car by nearly 10%. If the numbers I have are correct (15/120) if they were expecting a sellout before arrival. With most volume are or mfgs that would be a major issue, but given the relative numbers not sold, its not for Porsche. If they has misread boxster sales as GM did with the H3, then Porsche would have issues.

Given that the current inventory will sell and there will be no more made, its definitely not a dud and as with other Porsche GT cars, people will love them or hate them, and drive them or garage them.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Savy, the speeds you're reaching at Laguna Seca are 7-8 mph faster than my former 996 GT3 lightened and on Hoosier tires. That GT2 RS is fast!!!
And I am not the worlds fastest driver. Far from it

Between T4/T5 shift into 5th (late edit- I LIED! I was 3rd to 4th. Need coffee!!!) and as I recall velocity before brake application was 122mph. As well, note I was being a lazy bastard and went through T2 hairpin in 3rd gear! Gotta love boost...

Without doubt car has way more potential than I have skill to exploit it. Both days I was fearful of full throttle through T1 and down into T2 as I did not know how much I had caught up to the car in front of me and cars were being let out onto track on the left side track entrance during sessions. With that said, this car felt much more planted through T1 due to much higher downforce.

Last edited by savyboy; 03-14-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
You did notice the speedo display is in km/h?

: )
Old 03-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
And I am not the worlds fastest driver. Far from it

Between T4/T5 shift into 5th and as I recall velocity before brake application was 122mph. As well, note I was being a lazy bastard and went through T2 hairpin in 3rd gear! Gotta love boost...

Without doubt car has way more potential than I have skill to exploit it. Both days I was fearful of full throttle through T1 and down into T2 as I did not know how much I had caught up to the car in front of me and cars were being let out onto track on the left side track entrance during sessions. With that said, this car felt much more planted through T1 due to much higher downforce.
Downforce on the GT2 is higher than the GT3?

I did notice the 3rd gear through T2. Lazyboy. Time for you to make another pilgrimage to PSDS.

Also a low gain mic and dead kitten might help with the cabin noise on race-keeper. And send those guys a pic of your GT2 RS tach so they have the correct red line.

That's your chores for today. : )
Old 03-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

I would be happier with the 2RS if it had bigger brakes on it. Especially Savy talking about not even taking it to the limits. Who knows really? Do the PCCBS do a good.job of slowing her down enough or should we go in the opposite direction like with a lot of the GT3 drivers going to steal for track duty?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:01 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
porsche is misunderstood by people who don't race.
anybody who take a 2 rs for a test drive would want to buy one immediately.
to the (deep- pocketed) layman, it looks like any other 911, so the misinformed just dismiss it without any consideration or thought.
+1. I can't afford a GT2RS, but I appreciate the hell out of my GT3 and can only imagine what a GT2 must be like. Maybe I just don't get it but if I had the $ I would buy a 2 RS over any Ferrari or Lambo I can think of. It is a Porsche thing I guess, but what I most admire about Porsche is that you can run the crap out of them. They aren't just garage queens but can be reliably tracked and will suffer more abuse than most. Workhorses, that offer no excuse. Savyboy, I'll have to live vicariously through you but major props for running that beautiful machine. That's what it was made for.

Quick Reply: Does GT2RS Inventory at Dealers make it a lesser car?