Motec data/video sync

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Motec data/video sync

I post this question at the Cup car forum ... but you know how it goes. Most Cup car owners have their race shop do all the work and I have not gotten any feedback so I will ask the question here.

I am looking for a setup that can sync data and video information with my Cup car's Motec system. Chasecam offer a bunch of options such as "commander" with GPS lap timer shown below.

Any recommendations? Are there any quality HD video/GPS lap timer system that can sync with Motec? Seems like most if not all data/video systems on the market only offer none HD video.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:14 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Wouldn't you be able to use Trackvision and do it manually?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:31 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Wouldn't you be able to use Trackvision and do it manually?
I think trackvision only process data/video but does not offer GPS lap timing
Old 02-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mikymu,
I'm also very interested in knowing the answer to your question.
Mikymu, as I once told you I'm kind of following your path. I also recently bought a 2008 Cup car (this week) the former owner had the PRO Motec in the car unlocked/expanded. I wonder what the guys at racekeeper will say, I already have their system in my "street GT3" and the data video information works very well. I read somewhere that racekeeper is the official porsche school or PCA supplier, (I'm not really sure).

I'll sell my beautiful, track ready, full loaded 2008 Black GT3, in case somebody is interested.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:45 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gus F
Hi mikymu,
Mikymu, as I once told you I'm kind of following your path. I also recently bought a 2008 Cup car (this week) the former owner had the PRO Motec in the car unlocked/expanded. I wonder what the guys at racekeeper will say, I already have their system in my "street GT3" and the data video information works very well. I read somewhere that racekeeper is the official porsche school or PCA supplier, (I'm not really sure).

I'll sell my beautiful, track ready, full loaded 2008 Black GT3, in case somebody is interested.
Congrats Gus! I think you bought Mike's 08 Cup right?

Racekeeper ... I need to do a search to see if it sync with motec. Does it offer HD video processing? You should start advertise your 08 GT3. It is one of a kind and very well prepped
Old 02-23-2011, 04:23 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

WOW, I am liking the race-Keeper system and looks like it can syn with Motec and aloow HD video processing. I will give them a call today to find out more

Old 02-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Yes I bought Mike's car, is in really really great condition, I'm very happy, Mike is also a great guy, I can't really say less.

I'm not losing time since I'm having my first Cupcar experience this week's friday-sunday at Road Atlanta.
I'll post an add in the for sale section later for my street car, It really is the perfect track/street gt3.

Racekeeper is a integrated data/HDvideo well the cameras are high resolution, the installation and setup is super simple, all data is very accessible and manageable.
the system connects to the OBD-II interface and collects plenty of data.
Does the Cup car has a OBD-II or an equivalent? Motec?
maybe billstevens61 can chime in here, he is related to Racekeeper.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:56 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes I bought Mike's car, is in really really great condition, I'm very happy, Mike is also a great guy, I can't really say less.

I'm not losing time since I'm having my first Cupcar experience this week's friday-sunday at Road Atlanta.
I'll post an add in the for sale section later for my street car, It really is the perfect track/street gt3.

Racekeeper is a integrated data/HDvideo well the cameras are high resolution, the installation and setup is super simple, all data is very accessible and manageable.
the system connects to the OBD-II interface and collects plenty of data.
Does the Cup car has a OBD-II or an equivalent? Motec?
maybe billstevens61 can chime in here, he is related to Racekeeper.
That is a very good buy Gus. Mike's 08 Cup is as clean as they come. My first outing in the Cup is not for couple more weeks. Keep us posted on your first Cup event.

You should also post for sale ad here on the GT3 forum - much more potential buyers visit this section.

Race-Keepr look promising. I will give them a call later to find out more info. I like to sync my Sony HD camcorder with the system. Cup has ECU and it's super tiny. I don't think it has OBDII port. Race-Keeper sells a kit to syn with Motec and I think it cost $250. How do you view your lap time in the car with Race-Keeper? i-phone?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Racekeeper have an i-phone app that communicates wireless with the module and provides gives nice information: lap time, predictive lap, RPM's, shift points,...In my case I don't feel necessary to look at the lap time when on track, I'm happy reviewing the info after each session, I normally know when I'm doing better or worse... at least for now.

I'm an ignorant regarding the Cup Car Motec system, can it work with the race keeper?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Racekeeper have an i-phone app that communicates wireless with the module and provides gives nice information: lap time, predictive lap, RPM's, shift points,...In my case I don't feel necessary to look at the lap time when on track, I'm happy reviewing the info after each session, I normally know when I'm doing better or worse... at least for now.

I'm an ignorant regarding the Cup Car Motec system, can it work with the race keeper?
I on the other hand need constant feedback on what a horrible driver I am lol. I called Race-Keeper but it was too late. They are back East. Will try again tomorrow. I don't have an i-phone. Just might have to get one if I get a RK system.

Tell me about it ... I know how to fire up the Cup car and that's it. Motec manual is like a dictionary. Make sure you get the Motec CD from Mike when you pick up the car

Yes, Race-Keeper sell a Motec sync system for $229 as follow:

http://www.race-keeper.com/motec_ecu_data_module

This is a plug n' play software add-on and an accompanying ECU interface cable that enable your Race-Keeper on-board system to capture data from MoTeC ECUs including the M400 and the M800. Data traces are acquired automatically, synced automatically with video, and automatically made available for display in Race-Keeper Comparo.

This software add-on acquires four essential driver data channels...

•Speed
•RPM
•Throttle
•Gear
...and up to to nine valuable engine data channels:

•Engine Temp
•Water Temp
•Oil Pressure
•Oil Temp
•Manifold Pressure
•Intake air Temp
•Exhaust Temp
•Fuel Used
•Fuel Pressure
Race-Keeper’s CAN ECU interface cable is supplied with three bare wires for connection to your vehicle’s ECU: CAN high, CAN low and CAN ground.

Visit Race-Keeper MoTeC ECU Data Module User Guide for information on setup and operation.

Price: $229.00
Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Look what I found. Motec has a GPS sensor unit for $350 made by Garmin

The GPS-G5 is a 5Hz GPS that is suitable for the high dynamics of motor sport applications and is compatible with MoTeC ADL3, ADL2, SDL & ACL logging devices. The G5 low supply current makes it suitable for use with all MoTeC 5V sensor supplies. The G5 consists of a GPS unit with a built in antenna. Global Positioning System (GPS) units provide speed and position information, as well as altitude, heading, date, time and GPS statistics.

Speed
The speed information can be used for display and logging purposes,
eliminating the need for wheel speed sensors. This is particularly useful in
boat and drag racing applications. These applications usually encounter
difficulties in obtaining true speed measurements.
Position
GPS position information can be used in MoTeC i2 data analysis software to
show and compare the driven lines and to create track maps. The driven lines
can also be plotted over a Google Earth image, allowing circuit racers and off-
road drivers to see the path travelled in a real life context.
Lap timing
In circuit racing, a GPS unit can be a cost effective alternative to the traditional
lap timing system. The position of the start/finish line can be marked either by
a push button operated by the driver when passing the line or by entering the
coordinates directly into the data acquisition system. This position can then be
used by the logger or display as a beacon to calculate the lap time and by the
data analysis software to indicate the start of each lap.

Electrical:

Power Supply Voltage 4.0 to 5.5 Vdc
Power Supply Current 100mA @ 5.0 Vdc
Connections
Connectors Deutsch DTM06-4P
Deutsch ASL 606-05 PN
Cable length 7ft (2.13m)

Data:

Output Type RS232
Output Levels 0V / 5Vdc (nominal)
Baud Rate 19200 (Motec default)
NMEA Sentences RMC, GGA (Motec default)

Physical:
Antenna Built into GPS unit. RX Sensitivity -185 dBW minimum
Size 2.4in diam x 0.77in (61 diam x 19.5mm)
Weight 0.36lb (165g)
Operating Temp -22F to 176F (-30C to +80C)
Mounting Magnetic base + M3 centre thread

GPS Performance:

Update Rate 5Hz
Satellite Channels 12
Reacquisition Time < 2secs
Hot Start Time 1 seconds
Warm Start Time 38 seconds
Cold Start Time 45 seconds
Dynamics >4G
Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 PM
johnboise3
Intermediate

Different subject -- Tire sizes. I noticed on an old thread that you were going to run Nitto 315/30 18 and 245/45 18 on your 2007. If you in fact ran them, any problems with ABS or Traction Control ? My GT3 is a 2008, and I am wondering if there might be problems due to the smaller diameter of the 315's.
Thanks, and sorry I cannot help you with the video question.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:21 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnboise3
Different subject -- Tire sizes. I noticed on an old thread that you were going to run Nitto 315/30 18 and 245/45 18 on your 2007. If you in fact ran them, any problems with ABS or Traction Control ? My GT3 is a 2008, and I am wondering if there might be problems due to the smaller diameter of the 315's.
Thanks, and sorry I cannot help you with the video question.
lol

No worry.

I ran 245/40/18 front and 315/30/18 rear Nitto NT01 before w/o ABS or traction issue. Hope that helps
Old 02-24-2011, 02:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Hi mikymu,

analogue man's?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
analogue man's?
yup

Quick Reply: Motec data/video sync