Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Hoosier Size, need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:52 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Mikymu was running Kumho Ecsta V710s in 18" on his 997.1 GT3 RS, in part because he too was driving to/from the track (prior to getting all 'professional' and getting a Cup car/trailer/truck!). I'll probably end up doing them to, as I'm in the same boat as you (no trailer). I have also run the BFGoodrich g-Force R1 tires on my M3. Pretty similar to Hoosier R6s, in terms of grip and life. I drove those to/from the track a few times, but, as others have clearly stated, I don't recommend it. Caveat emptor!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:54 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Kuhmos are a good option for you, you can use them on the street just never in teh rain.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

We just need toyo to put old date code ra1s back on sale......are you listening toyo?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
I was planning to drive from Miami to Sebring, which is about 170 miles (x2 to get back)
I like this sebring talk

Another option, buy another set of ccw wheels, mount racing tires on them, find someone going to sebring from south Florida to bring them to you......someone with a real big 48 foot trailer who needs to be at sebring too

If you were from Orlando, I would bring them too you.......you need to come to more chin events to play with us
Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus F
I understand your frustration, but if you want dual purpose tire, you will have to take some compromises.
My first year I was always driving to Sebring, I was lucky I never had a problem with the car at the track, or on the highway driving under those South Florida deluges on less than optimal rain tires, it's just not safe.

In the other hand, the more you go to the track (the more you get infected with track disease)... the more likely is that you will end up with track dedicated wheels/tires, trailer, track support,...
Ask me how I know,...It's just a matter of time
I hate the roads in S FL! They're horrible especially downtown/Sobe area.

My worst fear is to get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere heading to Sebring. Who the hell am I supposed to call then? My whole weekend will be ruined.

The problem with a trailer is that I live in a high rise with just one parking spot. If it was a house I would have definitely bought one

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yeah, you might as well order the Dually and 48' trailer now. You will eventually..
Once I move into a house with a garage I will! I'm too young and don't want to hassle with all the responsibilities of a house

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Mikymu was running Kumho Ecsta V710s in 18" on his 997.1 GT3 RS, in part because he too was driving to/from the track (prior to getting all 'professional' and getting a Cup car/trailer/truck!). I'll probably end up doing them to, as I'm in the same boat as you (no trailer). I have also run the BFGoodrich g-Force R1 tires on my M3. Pretty similar to Hoosier R6s, in terms of grip and life. I drove those to/from the track a few times, but, as others have clearly stated, I don't recommend it. Caveat emptor!
Since a lot of people actually tried it, I'm sure they have more knowledge over me. I respect and thank all your comments on the issue

Originally Posted by va122
The Kuhmos are a good option for you, you can use them on the street just never in teh rain.
are they easy to puncture as well? I need something that is a little strong so I can drive to and back from the track.

Originally Posted by Izzone
We just need toyo to put old date code ra1s back on sale......are you listening toyo?
Agreed! Let's call them up tomorrow!

Any idea why they stopped producing them?

Originally Posted by Izzone
I like this sebring talk

Another option, buy another set of ccw wheels, mount racing tires on them, find someone going to sebring from south Florida to bring them to you......someone with a real big 48 foot trailer who needs to be at sebring too

If you were from Orlando, I would bring them too you.......you need to come to more chin events to play with us
I like the Sebring talk as well!

What scares the **** out of me is getting a flat or something getting broken on that quiet and scary long road

No trailer + flat tire = stuck!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

So what is the appropriate size for R6's on a narrow body .1 model? Not necessarily what could be squeezed in there, but what would be a normal fitment for someone running CCW's 9" front and 12" rear?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

With no roll bar in the car I can fit all four of my track wheels with Hoosiers in a GT3. It's not pretty, and it's probably not even that safe, but I've done it more than a few times. No substitute for a trailer, but it still beats driving R6s on the street.

If you can handle removing passenger seat it's a breeze, but even with a full interior it's possible.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
So what is the appropriate size for R6's on a narrow body .1 model? Not necessarily what could be squeezed in there, but what would be a normal fitment for someone running CCW's 9" front and 12" rear?
You can do 255/35/18 or 245/35/18 F and 315/30/18 R to keep the front tire diameter smaller than the rear
Old 08-02-2011, 01:45 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Your worst fear should be law enforcement, and an impounded car due to driving on the highway on slicks. You might have a case in court (after the fact that car got impounded, and you missed the track day, plus all the fines and fees) that R6/V710/A6/R1/RS/Z214 are DOT approved tires, but as soon as they check the writing on the sidewall "Not for Highway use" you're toast, and most likely lighter in your wallet.

V710/R6/R1/A6/RS/Z214 cannot be driven on the streets legally. I have driven on V710, R6, A6 at my own risk of being pulled over, and if it rains I just pull over and wait.

Your options for street/track tires are: R888, RA1, Corsa, Trofeo, MPSC, A048. Except RA1, they all stink. Although, I would like somebody to test the MPSC equipped in the GT2 RS and GT3 RS 3.8, as the German magazine SportAuto explained they have a stickier compound, and that alone justifies the 8 secs advantage the GT3 RS 3.8 has over the GT3 3.8 at the Ring.

You could also consider a small tire trailer hooked to your 911.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:14 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

yep. heck with law, I got 2 times on A6 tires going back from AX into a pouring rain - it was very, very nasty. as soon as you get layer of water a bit thicker than tires can push away you just begin to rotate like crazy. my AX site was just 35-40 min away and still A6 tires were wearing noticably from such highway runs.

only reasonable solution is to make a tow hook mode in the rear to pull small tire trailer but that guy who used to sell those adapters is apparently not doing well and does not respond to emails.

of street tires, RA1 are all gone now, they took 335 tires off production, largest available size now is 275. so only ones left are NT01 but their sizes are odd and diameters not quite right - fronts are taller than rears.

speaking about MPSC - do they behave better if you stretch them a bit? by 'stretch' I mean same idea of ratios cup cars use - gt3 cup car comes with 9,5" x 18 and 24/64-18 tires in front and 12" x 18 27/68-18 tires in rear. RSR car comes with 12" rims 27/65-18 tires in front and 13" rims 31/71-18 in rear.

looking into our sorry world '31' slick tire width is 335 dot. '27' tire is 285 dot. also we can see cup cars like 30-40mm of width diff between front and rear.
so essentially they run 285 tire on a 12" rim? will 285 MPSC behave well on a 12" rear rim?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

WARNING: DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possibly injury or death.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I talked with 2 people from Toyo late last year and early this year about RA1's vs R888. None of the Toyo people agree with anything said on this forum about the R888. They all say the R888 is really a better tire but it needs to be run at a much lower psi and it needs to be shaved to 4/32. Then it will outperform a RA1 and last just as long. Toyo says the R888 has the same compound as the RA1 and it's called GG compound. Toyo says the R888 with it's stiffer side wall and better construction will provide quicker turn it and better feedback than the very old technology RA1 tire.

The RA1 is fazed out, done and not coming back according to Toyo.

I am moving to 19" wheels in order to have a better selection of tires. I've been looking into this 18 vs 19 debate and have spoke with some people at Porsche and some Porsche instructors and an ex-Porsche engineer that works for the Flying Lizards. To sum it up they all said 18" will work fine but you have to be careful with fitments and overall tire diameters. They said the 997 with PASM was designed to work with 19" tires in a certain overall diameter and side wall flex and moving away from that will upset ABS, PSM and other systems on these street cars. So for a 997S or GT3 with 18" you should use 245/40/18 and 305/35/18. However what is weird and something these Porsche people could not tell me is why using this size I still got PSM failure at Daytona on NASCAR 3-4 high banks.

I don't have a race car or pretend it's a race car and just really really enjoy driving my car to the track, having fun on the track, and hanging out with my friends and instructing for Chin and PCA. I live in a house and still have no place to store a trailer or have a truck to pull a trailer. My wifes Cayenne S could pull the car but that is going away in December and a Audi Q5 will not pull.

I might try out R888 in 19" to compare the to the 18" I've been running or I might anti up and try out MPSC for $500 more per set...not sure yet.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sin911
You can do 255/35/18 or 245/35/18 F and 315/30/18 R to keep the front tire diameter smaller than the rear
So which fronts should I use? Clearly 315 is as big as you can go on the back.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:14 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums

I am moving to 19" wheels in order to have a better selection of tires. I've been looking into this 18 vs 19 debate and have spoke with some people at Porsche and some Porsche instructors and an ex-Porsche engineer that works for the Flying Lizards. To sum it up they all said 18" will work fine but you have to be careful with fitments and overall tire diameters. They said the 997 with PASM was designed to work with 19" tires in a certain overall diameter and side wall flex and moving away from that will upset ABS, PSM and other systems on these street cars. So for a 997S or GT3 with 18" you should use 245/40/18 and 305/35/18. However what is weird and something these Porsche people could not tell me is why using this size I still got PSM failure at Daytona on NASCAR 3-4 high banks.

I don't have a race car or pretend it's a race car and just really really enjoy driving my car to the track, having fun on the track, and hanging out with my friends and instructing for Chin and PCA. I live in a house and still have no place to store a trailer or have a truck to pull a trailer. My wifes Cayenne S could pull the car but that is going away in December and a Audi Q5 will not pull.

I might try out R888 in 19" to compare the to the 18" I've been running or I might anti up and try out MPSC for $500 more per set...not sure yet.
If 18" wheels are good enough for cup cars, they're good enough for me
Old 08-03-2011, 02:18 AM
johnboise3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a lot of hesitation I decided to give the Nitto NT01's a try on my 997.1 GT3: 315 18 rear and 245 18front. I was afraid of problems with ABS, TC, etc. Very happy to report that in two track days at the full Miller Track (4.5 miles, 24 turns) in 95 degree heat and driving hard, had absolutely NO ISSUES of any kind -- constant threshhold braking with no ABS issues, tried it with TC on and off, etc. Now on the highway, cruise control works fine as well. So at least for me, the NT01 is the perfect solution...better grip and not as noisy as the R888, very good wear under very heavy use, and priced right. At least for my car, everything works fine with the Nittos. The guys at VIVID RACING have always treated my right in the past; I discussed my concerns about sizing with them, and they guaranteed to take back the NT01's if there were issues, so I was willing to pay a little more getting the tires from them. Very happy I took them up on the offer, as IMHO they NT01 is a better track performer than the R888, and a little less expensive. Also track them on the Cayman S in 275 Rear and 245 Front with no issues. Great tires.

Quick Reply: Hoosier Size, need HELP!