Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche Motorsports Torque Muliplier

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:10 PM
86 3point2
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Porsche Motorsports Torque Muliplier

New price hot off the press from PMNA for torque tool p/n 997 450 323 90 - $1511.37 (down from previous retail of ~$2,600). Must be prepaid via wire transfer, order to be placed by PMNA to Weissach week of 14 Feb.

PM me for details if interested.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

I'll stick with my $300 torque wrench.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

Nuts
Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Nuts
Well put.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:27 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Makes me think of the old line: "I may be dumb but I'm not stupid" I know most of us P-car guys are crazy but this is truly beyond outrageous ~~
Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 AM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1500+ for a damn wrench...that's price gouging by Porsche at its most egregious. Not sure which is worse, the "cost" of that wrench or charging $7K+ for some black stickers and wheels in the DZL package.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

just use a big wrench and be a man.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:22 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by micahbones
$1500+ for a damn wrench...that's price gouging by Porsche at its most egregious. Not sure which is worse, the "cost" of that wrench or charging $7K+ for some black stickers and wheels in the DZL package.
Not sure? Let me clear that up for you ...

$1500 for a precision tool that top shelf machinist equipment manufacturers charge top dollar at about $900 ... that's the cost of the Porsche brand and tool specific to perhaps a few thousand cars on the planet.

As for the insult of DZL, it's not something Porsche should debase itself to beg for hand outs. $0.50c ... fiddy cent ... for vinyl and acrylic color decorations ... that's egregious and by asking for these preposterous gratuities, Porsche shows it has talentless, non-creative <deleted> decision makers in its midst who have forgotten that Porsche can command any price it needs for its core engineering and technical excellence and it belittles the name of the company and the name of its founders by stooping to beg for loose change from rich customers to have their cars swathed in nauseating color schemes and froufrou decorations.

If the advent of VW brings any good to Porsche, let's hope it is fair pricing and value for money in the price book. If there's a cost to have a car step out of the production line for Exclusive options, then by all means, I see great value in Porsche owners being able to build their cars uniquely to their tastes and preferences, but when Porsche says it costs thousands to spray Carrara white on a GT2 RS, well, that's offensive to say the least. If they want to restrict the colors of a limited production car, great, good, I dunno, sure, it might be important, but hell, don't pretend that there's thousands of dollars incurred in having a production line worker set up the car for a bath of white instead of a bath of red or that one year Atlas Grey is a normal color, then it's unavailable and then it's a premium. Or that one shade of yellow (Speed) or blue (Gulf) requires extraordinary "quality testing" while another shade is just a mouse click away.

I can only hope that the 991 brings us back to the 993 and 964 in terms of the customer having their wishes be fulfilled without the Disney fanfare of it being such a fantasy come true. If I want Alcantara instead of New York Taxi Cab vinyl, let's have it cost what it costs. It's just a synthetic fibre, it's not Mink ******* hairs weaved by Angelina Jolie. Then again, if someone wants to paint the gauge faces red or yellow, let's make sure that costs a fortune so they just don't do it!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:49 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I can only hope that the 991 brings us back to the 993 and 964 in terms of the customer having their wishes be fulfilled without the Disney fanfare of it being such a fantasy come true. If I want Alcantara instead of New York Taxi Cab vinyl, let's have it cost what it costs. It's just a synthetic fibre, it's not Mink ******* hairs weaved by Angelina Jolie. Then again, if someone wants to paint the gauge faces red or yellow, let's make sure that costs a fortune so they just don't do it!
LOL

Well said Adam. Since I burn my money tree this winter for heat, I pass the handy Porsche torque multiplier and got myself a Taiwanese $200 ebay special: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It worked just as well as my Egyptian secrete police issued 10' torque wrench baton that require Arnold Schwarzenegger's left quadriceps to lift

Old 02-09-2011, 04:19 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikymu
got myself a Taiwanese $200 ebay special: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

That TM looks like a clone (albeit mini-me sized) of the Armstrong (about $800 normally ... I bought one from a fellow Rennlister for $500) ... it's the right tool for the job ... even after Porsche raised the torque bar ... : ) ... but it's also about ten times the size of the Taiwan copy and about as big as the wheel nut itself ... it has the feel of a precision machined gun turret. It's a joy to use. While the torque accuracy is something seemingly huge (I think 6% from memory) once you consider the 10:1 amplification and the logarithmic scale of the leverage, it's little more than a sneeze in a cyclone or a belch on the beaufort scale. It was interesting to see how much it rotated the wheel nuts for the new torque spec (almost a half rotation.) There's just something very rewarding about using precision tools instead of brute force.

https://rennlist.com/forums/7592222-post13.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzpTU7lBxBA
Old 02-09-2011, 04:32 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That TM looks like a clone (albeit mini-me sized) of the Armstrong (about $800 normally ... I bought one from a fellow Rennlister for $500) ... it's the right tool for the job ... even after Porsche raised the torque bar ... : ) ... but it's also about ten times the size of the Taiwan copy and about as big as the wheel nut itself ... it has the feel of a precision machined gun turret. It's a joy to use. While the torque accuracy is something seemingly huge (I think 6% from memory) once you consider the 10:1 amplification and the logarithmic scale of the leverage, it's little more than a sneeze in a cyclone or a belch on the beaufort scale. It was interesting to see how much it rotated the wheel nuts for the new torque spec (almost a half rotation.) There's just something very rewarding about using precision tools instead of brute force.

https://rennlist.com/forums/7592222-post13.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzpTU7lBxBA
That's a real nice TM. The Taiwanese TM is the smaller one in my picture and it offer 3:1 torque multiplication but has a 10-20% loss of accuracy ... ouch. It's good enough for government work. My Cup car's center lock nut "only" require 460 Nm to tighten
Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1500 for a precision tool that top shelf machinist equipment manufacturers charge top dollar at about $900 ... that's the cost of the Porsche brand and tool specific to perhaps a few thousand cars on the planet.

As for the insult of DZL...
Very good point Carrera GT! My standard of reference was a $30-40 torque wrench to get 5-bolt wheels to 85-90 ft-lbs, so $1500 for a torque wrench seemed positively outrageous. You are absolutely correct about the real value of some stickers & paint vs. a precision machined tool that actually does something, especially given the heavy torque requirement of the center lock. After all I think for example a hand-mitered, welded, and painted steel bike frame at $2K is a very good value for what it offers the rider.

Last edited by micahbones; 02-09-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:08 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

As for the insult of DZL, it's not something Porsche should debase itself to beg for hand outs. $0.50c ... fiddy cent ... for vinyl and acrylic color decorations ... that's egregious and by asking for these preposterous gratuities, Porsche shows it has talentless, non-creative <deleted> decision makers in its midst who have forgotten that Porsche can command any price it needs for its core engineering and technical excellence and it belittles the name of the company and the name of its founders by stooping to beg for loose change from rich customers to have their cars swathed in nauseating color schemes and froufrou decorations.

If the advent of VW brings any good to Porsche, let's hope it is fair pricing and value for money in the price book. If there's a cost to have a car step out of the production line for Exclusive options, then by all means, I see great value in Porsche owners being able to build their cars uniquely to their tastes and preferences, but when Porsche says it costs thousands to spray Carrara white on a GT2 RS, well, that's offensive to say the least. If they want to restrict the colors of a limited production car, great, good, I dunno, sure, it might be important, but hell, don't pretend that there's thousands of dollars incurred in having a production line worker set up the car for a bath of white instead of a bath of red or that one year Atlas Grey is a normal color, then it's unavailable and then it's a premium. Or that one shade of yellow (Speed) or blue (Gulf) requires extraordinary "quality testing" while another shade is just a mouse click away.

So far the best post of 2011. OUTSTANDING!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:39 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 on the "Best Post of 2011" by Carrera GT! Well put old chap~~
Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 PM
jbigelow
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alcantara.........It's just a synthetic fibre, it's not Mink ******* hairs weaved by Angelina Jolie
LMFAO...... LUV IT Adam!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Porsche Motorsports Torque Muliplier