Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

11GT3RS Roll Bar or Rear Cage

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:23 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 11GT3RS Roll Bar or Rear Cage

Just wondering what are the latest suggestions/recommendations for the GT3RS.
I have looked at Carnewal site for the Porsche OEM Tequipment and have searched some previous posts representing GMG, RSS and DAS.

thanks in advance
Old 12-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Get the clubsport.....belongs in the car

I can not see how a bar connected to the seat belt anchors will be of use in a roll over
Old 12-30-2010, 07:31 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

go out of your way and order the porsche motorsports bar from FVD. wouldnt hurt to order the front half either.

if you only need a harness bar, then porsche tequipment.

the more OE you keep your car, the better the resale.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Just got the GMG RSR bar installed and am very satisfied with the fit, finish and material. It feels rock solid and super strong. Mounts to the rear shock mounts like the OEM and to the seat belt in front bottom. Understand what others say regarding the welded floorbracket/ front mount with OEM bar, but it would take a whole hell of a lot of trauma to rip out a GMG bar. Gotta give more protection than the tequipment harness bar in any event. Has anyone here rolled or know someone that rolled a car with a GMG, DAS sport or RSS bar and lived to tell about it? It would be interesting to see some FE analysis on the difference between the mounts. Any engineers out there?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:10 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Izzone,

Please excuse my ignorance - is "clubsport" the Porsche brand?

thanks
D,
Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by DRPM
Izzone,

Please excuse my ignorance - is "clubsport" the Porsche brand?

thanks
D,
The clubsport bar is what you get if when the clubsport package is ordered......for non us cars

All of the other bars look and feel fine. I don't risk safety

The only better bar than. Clubsport is a welded in bar.....like tcd
Old 12-31-2010, 11:17 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

I've got the GMG RSR. Great fit and no squeaks or rattles.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

DAS in Cro-Moly.
www.dassport.com
Beefy (lighter in cro-mo) and excellent design (triangles, stout feet.)
Full range of motion for the driver seat.
Weld-in full cage is an option.

Personally, I don't like all the bolts in the factory bar (especially next to the driver's head.)
Old 12-31-2010, 12:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

This is the Clubsport bar in the rear. It can be extended forward. More pics if you click on my signature on the bottom.
You'll have to get plates welded on the floor, like the cars have from the factory when you order the club sport package (Not avail. un US).
Attached Images      
Old 12-31-2010, 02:04 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

TRAKCAR,

Nice pics. Really looks strong with the 3 bolt mounting plate in the floor. I noticed the top seat bealt covers, and should mention that was one thing about the GMG bar, it fits so tight that is that there is not enough room to re-install the covers. Not really noticeable unless you are looking for it.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:36 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KBS911
Just got the GMG RSR bar installed and am very satisfied with the fit, finish and material. It feels rock solid and super strong. Mounts to the rear shock mounts like the OEM and to the seat belt in front bottom. Understand what others say regarding the welded floorbracket/ front mount with OEM bar, but it would take a whole hell of a lot of trauma to rip out a GMG bar. Gotta give more protection than the tequipment harness bar in any event. Has anyone here rolled or know someone that rolled a car with a GMG, DAS sport or RSS bar and lived to tell about it? It would be interesting to see some FE analysis on the difference between the mounts. Any engineers out there?
I saw a 997 GT3 barrel roll three times and land on its wheels at a DE.
NO; seats, roll bar, harness. Car was totalled. driver and passenger walked away. The car was bone stock and new to the owner. The first two rolls were of the (a corner of the car touched the ground and the other 3/4 of the car was airborn) tumbling variety. The passenger compartment was very intact. Any roll bar could make an improvment.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:18 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KBS911
TRAKCAR,

Nice pics. Really looks strong with the 3 bolt mounting plate in the floor. I noticed the top seat bealt covers, and should mention that was one thing about the GMG bar, it fits so tight that is that there is not enough room to re-install the covers. Not really noticeable unless you are looking for it.
I stand corrected. The seat belt covers do indeed fit. I just snapped them on.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:25 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spare tire
I saw a 997 GT3 barrel roll three times and land on its wheels at a DE.
NO; seats, roll bar, harness. Car was totalled. driver and passenger walked away. The car was bone stock and new to the owner. The first two rolls were of the (a corner of the car touched the ground and the other 3/4 of the car was airborn) tumbling variety. The passenger compartment was very intact. Any roll bar could make an improvment.
Thats what I was thinking. Any roll bar/cage is a sum of it's parts and would have to help. Obviously a full cage is the best, but even a tequipment harness bar, or equivalent, would seem to provide some protection dependent on the severity of the roll incident. The folks in that car were lucky indeed.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Izzone - not sure where you get your info but the stainless steel Tequipment bar for the 996 GT3 and then the 997 was part of the original Porsche Clubsport package. I can assure you that it has proven to be safe since sadly GT3's account for 1/3 of the incidents at PCA DE and we have seen many roll overs. The bar does its job. Do you honestly think Porsche would take the liability risk? I really wonder who starts these rumors!!

The 997.2 RS is a half or full cage and requires plates welded to the floor on North American cars. I would not let anyone weld plates inside my car. At manufacture as a bare chassis, of course, but once finished, no way - but that's me. Other bolt in bars use the same mounting points and I prefer OEM given the choice.

Regards,
The following users liked this post:
Brian Himmelman (08-11-2023)
Old 12-31-2010, 07:33 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Hey great input guys..keep it coming

A special mention of thanks to Bob Rouleau who has been supporting so many of my RS questions.

A Happy and Safe New Year to all.

Quick Reply: 11GT3RS Roll Bar or Rear Cage