Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011 | 11:46 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

WOW- Really Nice, Congrats.
Old 02-07-2011 | 11:50 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Clutch feel is superb, with a long engagement point and not a heavy pedal.

This was my very next question, I'm looking at an RS, I was very suprised at how easy the clutch is.

Is it the same clutch as the 3RS??
Old 02-07-2011 | 11:57 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by MJones
Nice Color Choice!!

Hear you cornered Preuninger for hours! What a score, that alone was worth the price of admission! What nobody else cared...We now know who the enthusiast really is.
Haha, it is true Brian! I was shocked that hardly anyone else made the effort to engage him? I gladly dominated his time. And he fully indulged me. Kindred spirits on the car enthusiasts continuum no doubt. A wellspring of wisdom from the source.

He is a gracious, patient and gentlemanly conversation partner for sure. Entering the event he surely considered me an antagonist and I mis charecterized him in my mind as a PR man, but I think we parted with a new respect and understanding for each other.

There is a deep passion for the GT cars that we can't see, and they want to make the enthusiasts happy. I suspect we will continue to see some new lines of direct communication opened as we saw here. They do care and they have a lot of passion.
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2011 | 12:11 PM
slavik
Instructor

congrats on picking up such a special and great car! looking forward to hearing your feedback
congrats again!
Old 02-07-2011 | 12:19 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Congrats Pete- beautiful car and BEAUTIFUL RED!!! One question is what is the reported weight of the gt2rs and what is actual? It's mind-blowing that with turbo's being in the back it's amazing what they did in terms of weight reduction. The hood is a weight reduction item but like to know what else. Thanks and enjoy!! Mike
Old 02-07-2011 | 12:24 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by savyboy
GT3RS vs GT2RS

It is creamy smooth diesel locomotive pull until time to hit the brakes and preserve your drivers license. The way this thing builds speed is astounding.

And the GT2RS to be simply intoxicating. It is on another level.
This reminds me what I forgot to mention earlier.

Good luck keeping your driver's license!

I want a ride.

BAD.

Phil
Old 02-07-2011 | 12:44 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Congrats on the car!!

I am totally surprised by the P50 comment.. consider that's what Porsche recommends for track use.. ?!? Conflict message there.. ! Very interesting..

PCCB: Don't use P50 green pads. Abrasive to the rotors and the friction charecteristics are simply not safe for street use. Yes, they do better for 100% track use and hold up better at high temps, but at the expense of rotor wear. Yes, I know this will ignite a firestom of comment.

PCCB: Use the OE P40 pads. Yes they crack and yes they have to be flipped but are your only choice.
Old 02-07-2011 | 12:59 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Damn! Congrats Pete The car looks awesome!

Enjoy in good health
Old 02-07-2011 | 01:10 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Ok here are my recollections of what was discussed at the event regarding "issues". For sure I will forget several things. My wife and I walked into the reception (on Friday night, delivery was Saturday), got some drinks and I headed straight over to the man who is not easy to miss- Andreas Preuninger. His title is "Motorsport - Project Manager High Performance Cars". GT2, GT3 and Cup cars are what he develops. He is a tall and lanky fellow as you can see in the pics and an engineer by trade and training. I introduced myself by name and he replied "Ah, savyboy..."

What followed was many hours of one-on-one discussion over the course of two days. Dinner that night was assigned tables and assigned seating...someone was kind enough to insure Mr. Preuninger and I were seated together He is a gentleman, no BS, and an ultra-motorsport enthusiast.

Preamble: He knew who I was, where I lived, what cars I own, the mods I have done or are in progress, that I had purchased a set of GT2RS tires from Tirerack last week, and the details of many of my posts on most forums. Porsche reads the forums. RL, Piston Heads, Team Speed, 6Speed, Rennlist 2.0

No discussion was had or allowed on projects in progress other than when asked, said the 4.0 litre (which was already announced to dealers some months ago) would be a low production, not a limited production car. It won't be numbered like the 2RS.

Coolant fittings: Internally it has been reported and documented that only 30 or so instances of this happening out of the tens of thousand of engines in cars. They are not aware it is happening with any regularity (I don't know how to reconcile this against the knowledge they read the forums?). Someone else has started a thread to try and document this issue and I think that is a very good idea to sum the results and send them to Mr. Detlev Von Platen, head of PCNA.

The ones they examined appeared to not have not had properly applied epoxy. Andreas committed to me the issue would be looked at with new eyes given my comments to him of knowing personally of the people the coolant fittings came loose.

He was aware and friendly towards the idea of the fittings being either welded in or drilled and locked with a screw.

Limited Slip Diffs: Again, they had not considered that there might be a problem here. I discussed the many posters and track pals non-working diffs and my LSD symptoms and lack of preload and he agreed to take this under discussion with his powertrain engineers.

Welded in roll bar mount plates: He was surprised by this as being an issue. Not installed for non-Clubsport equipped cars as the additional parts/welding adds approx 3 kg. And they never thought so many drivers would want to add the roll bar. He said he would make sure the 991 GT cars got the plates installed either as a selectable option or in all cars.

What I quickly found was they consider weight reduction to be the holy grail, the most critical aspect of their design. Andreas advised if given a car with a Clubsport package he would remove the roll bar to save the weight which he considered to be a massive penalty And the Walter Rhorl would do the same. They HATE anything that adds weight. That point was came though time and time again.

Break-in: Warm the engine oil before driving hard! Most critical factor. Don't lug the engine in a high gear at a low rpm. Don't hit the top of the rpm band for the first couple hundred miles and vary speeds and rpms. That's it.

What did I forget?
Encouraging that he/they're such active followers of the forums.

Encouraging too that 4.0 will be low production as opposed to limited production. Should make it easier to acquire and supports the 13% or so premium vs current RS floating around the net.

A little surprised that they're surprised by the rollbar issue as they must see the high take-up of the Club Sport option in ROW. That said, I certainly applaud the weight reduction religion.

Re: fittings, hope I got the "good" epoxy.

What a fantastic opportunity - can't believe others weren't all over him. Guess that explains why only two Rennlisters raised their hands for the GT2 RS buyers roll-call.

GT3RS vs GT2RS

Wow how do you compare two caviars? Two lovely women? Two pieces of art by a master?

Nutshell- the 2RS is the final perfected iteration of the 997.2. How about that?

It just feels refined and out-of the-box ready to destroy any car on any track. Or, any twisty mountain road?

Control inputs and weightings are calibrated to work together perfectly. The suspension is a masterpiece. I was very worried it was a warmed over 3RS and a parts bin exercise and Andreas and I obviously were able to joke about this as seen in my hood autograph

The road feel and dampening must be experienced to be appreciated. After a TEN hour drive home in the Sport Buckets we were not feeling beat up at all.

Power delivery is linear and perfeltly predictable. It feels like a N/A engine that comes on the cam. And it pulls all the way to redline. That is how the 2RS power delivery differs from the GT2 in the upper 2000 rpms of the powerband. It is creamy smooth diesel locomotive pull until time to hit the brakes and preserve your drivers license. The way this thing builds speed is astounding.

Clutch feel is superb, with a long engagement point and not a heavy pedal.

Ride comfort is awesome. Someone spent a lot of time dialing in the dampers.

Personally, I find the GT3RS to be fun and games (that is a good thing). And the GT2RS to be simply intoxicating. It is on another level.

I'm sold, with no reservations.
Always assumed the 2 RS would be the ultimate 911, not only for the track but the street as well - less noise, more torque. Nice to hear the suspension refinement continues to evolve. Looks like you got a nice window with the snow. Enjoy.
Old 02-07-2011 | 02:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Preamble: He knew who I was, where I lived, what cars I own, the mods I have done or are in progress, that I had purchased a set of GT2RS tires from Tirerack last week, and the details of many of my posts on most forums. Porsche reads the forums. RL, Piston Heads, Team Speed, 6Speed, Rennlist 2.0
I long suspected Weissach/PAG monitors their fans' forums. It was very smart of Pete to engage Mr. Preuninger. Good things are afoot.
Old 02-07-2011 | 02:30 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Always assumed the 2 RS would be the ultimate 911, not only for the track but the street as well - less noise, more torque. Nice to hear the suspension refinement continues to evolve. Looks like you got a nice window with the snow. Enjoy.
And I always assumed that the 2RS was going to have too much power making half unusable until I read some reviews which say quite the opposite... They say finally the GT2's chassis was made to hold and control the power easily.

Can't wait to see what they can do on the track
Old 02-07-2011 | 02:39 PM
jbigelow
Pro

CONGRATS PETE!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2011 | 03:18 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
A little surprised that they're surprised by the rollbar issue as they must see the high take-up of the Club Sport option in ROW. That said, I certainly applaud the weight reduction religion.
If they read all forums and aware of number of people who invest into Recaro seats they better add an option set to any car they sell to have gt2 style reclining buckets for CHEAPER price with 6 point harness mounts.

All those money people pay to have seats replaced and harnesses installed could have gone to factory if they were smarter.
Old 02-07-2011 | 03:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
If they read all forums and aware of number of people who invest into Recaro seats they better add an option set to any car they sell to have gt2 style reclining buckets for CHEAPER price with 6 point harness mounts.

All those money people pay to have seats replaced and harnesses installed could have gone to factory if they were smarter.
They already are an option available on new cars @ $2990 (not the harnesses though), and as for "aftermarket" the money does go to Porsche (if you buy the Sports Buckets that is)...

I agree they are a bit pricey if you want to install them after the fact ...
Old 02-07-2011 | 03:33 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
They already are an option available on new cars @ $2990 (not the harnesses though), and as for "aftermarket" the money does go to Porsche (if you buy the Sports Buckets that is)...

I agree they are a bit pricey if you want to install them after the fact ...
$2990 for pair is good, if that is for each seat - it is crazy as recaro cs sporster (which is almost identical to gt2 seat) is about of $1600 each, in leather.

i still do not understand why real sport car which porsche is cannot have 6 point harness installed from a factory or a factory built cage. it just would be easier to do that frame work at a factory than later to open up car and put in that cage or a rollbar.
or may be official Porsche position is that those cars do not need neither for safety and are fine to roll over without any safety additions? that would be an interesting concept, if it is really true and tested and stock pillars are strong enough. but i kinda doubt it.

Quick Reply: GT2RS Delivery Pics