Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Double 07

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is truely Awesome!! Congrats. I would like to request a detailed comparison of the two cars and lap times.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2011, 06:39 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

well done, the real mccoy
Old 01-19-2011, 03:23 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
Nice Mike, congrats!!

What was your decision making like when you decided to go w/ a 7Cup (w/ sequential box) vs. a 6Cup (regular gearbox)? Just curious..
Here is how Glen put it. I will get a 6 GT3 and it will be a big jump from my RS for couple months. Once I get up to speed then I will be looking for a 7 Cup. If a cheap (less than $50K) 6 Cup with strong engine and tranny is available I would have a 6. It's more civil to drive and relatively cheap compare to 7 in up keep. But I worry about resale. 6 Cup is dated and getting old fast. Most will look for a 7 Cup to buy in 2-3 years time then it will be super hard to sell a 6 Cup.

7 Cup sequential is a worry especially the weak 3 gear linkage. Porsche address this issue and installed robust linkage for 09 Cup. If you are in the market for a 7 Cup, look for one that have the updated 09 Cup 3rd gear linkage. Couple grand to upgrade but worth the cost.

The major risk to 7 Cup car and engine is down shift when you are suppose to up shift. Imagine you are at 8300 RPM, Rev limiter light on and you push lever forward (down shift) instead of back to up shift, all of a sudden your engine rev up to 11000 RPM .... ouch. Cup engine/tranny can take alot of abuse but anything pass 12000 RPM is toast. To me what matter most is the max rev read out on a Cup car. I will not touch a low hour Cup with max rev pass 11000. That is just trouble waiting to happen. So, to answer your question, yes, sequential can be a time bomb waiting to go off with a wrong down shift but train yourself long and hard not to do just that.

Originally Posted by DKP 97 C2 Coupe
What a thrill! We can all live vicariously through you...Congrats, brother!
Thanks

Originally Posted by edwin814
Congrats again, Mike!

So will I see this green monster on the track any time soon?
Oh yeah. Give me one month to infuse some titanium in it's ***. Will be out terrorizing North Cal track soon
Old 01-19-2011, 04:15 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

11000? wow, that's some good headroom.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:18 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
11000? wow, that's some good headroom.
Yeah, These GT3 engine are bullet proof and can take some serious beating. It is not uncommon to have Cup car with max rev pass 10K ... anything more than that you are playing with Russian roulette
Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats ! You will never look back, I can guarantee you that !

You will also get comfortable with the tranny and the car faster than you may think... and should be ready for few club races if you invest enough hours so you can really experience what that car is builded for !

After one season (summer is short up here...), I can say that I will do less testing and training and save the new slicks for races only. No more DE for me ! At some point you realize that the slower cars that are always in your way deserve to be there more than you do...
Old 01-20-2011, 01:09 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I'm not surprised that they can take 10k rpm rev.. consider the RSR has a redline of 9,400rpm.. ! (so a few hundred over is probably still safe if you only do it once in a blue moon.. !)

So the ECU does not have prevent one from downshifting the sequential box if you are going in the wrong direction? (so it is still very mechanical in nature, it looks like) This is unlike the like of DSG / F-1 / SMG / etc.

Originally Posted by mikymu
Yeah, These GT3 engine are bullet proof and can take some serious beating. It is not uncommon to have Cup car with max rev pass 10K ... anything more than that you are playing with Russian roulette
Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Congrats ! You will never look back, I can guarantee you that !

You will also get comfortable with the tranny and the car faster than you may think... and should be ready for few club races if you invest enough hours so you can really experience what that car is builded for !

After one season (summer is short up here...), I can say that I will do less testing and training and save the new slicks for races only. No more DE for me ! At some point you realize that the slower cars that are always in your way deserve to be there more than you do...
I don't follow you -- can you elaborate?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:36 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I don't follow you -- can you elaborate?
I just meant that doing a couple of DE in my Cup last year, I was getting pissed by other drivers not giving the passing signal soon enough... until I understood that my car wasn't builded for DE and that I was probably putting unfair pressure on these drivers. DE could be useful to get used to the car though.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:07 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm not surprised that they can take 10k rpm rev.. consider the RSR has a redline of 9,400rpm.. ! (so a few hundred over is probably still safe if you only do it once in a blue moon.. !)

So the ECU does not have prevent one from downshifting the sequential box if you are going in the wrong direction? (so it is still very mechanical in nature, it looks like) This is unlike the like of DSG / F-1 / SMG / etc.
I think he's referring to a mechanical over rev. But to answer your question, there's the rev limiter when going up, but nothing to prevent one from mistakenly downshifting.

Sounds like Mike got a good buy.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
I just meant that doing a couple of DE in my Cup last year, I was getting pissed by other drivers not giving the passing signal soon enough... until I understood that my car wasn't builded for DE and that I was probably putting unfair pressure on these drivers. DE could be useful to get used to the car though.
Excellent point. Drivers bring all kinds of purpose built race cars (Radicals, old stock cars) and it just doesn't mix in with the family street cars at a typical DE or brand club event (PCA, etc.) But there are some DE groups around here at least (NCRC, CFRA) where you can bring a full-on race car and mix it up. Some of the more "DE" event operators (HOD, SV, TMR) can still accommodate people with real track cars. I imagine all the amateurs in various vintages of Cup cars end up in the club racnig (POC, PRC) or NASA? The real challenge around here is making sound if you're at a DE and not part of a race event.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikymu
I imagine the pistons weigh a lot at 10K rpm versus 9K rpm and the valves start to float and it all starts to wear out very quickly assuming nothing goes bang. Presumably the first order of business is to pull the redline back down to say 8400-8600 to tune some "longevity" into the drive-train ... : ) ... and learn to be tentative on the clutch for the down-shifts ...
Old 01-20-2011, 02:31 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I understood that he was talking about mechanical over rev.. I was just surprised that there's nothing to prevent him from doing that (vs. a computerized system such as PDK / SMG / etc.), hence my comment about these sequential boxes still being very "mechanical".

Some Cup car has the auto blip feature to match the rpm of the engine to the speed and gear, that's why I thought that some sort of mechanical lock-out can be done easily if the ECU knows which gear you are going into and what's the current rpm / rpm with the next gear / current speed.

Originally Posted by mklaskin
I think he's referring to a mechanical over rev. But to answer your question, there's the rev limiter when going up, but nothing to prevent one from mistakenly downshifting.

Sounds like Mike got a good buy.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I understood that he was talking about mechanical over rev.. I was just surprised that there's nothing to prevent him from doing that (vs. a computerized system such as PDK / SMG / etc.), hence my comment about these sequential boxes still being very "mechanical".

Some Cup car has the auto blip feature to match the rpm of the engine to the speed and gear, that's why I thought that some sort of mechanical lock-out can be done easily if the ECU knows which gear you are going into and what's the current rpm / rpm with the next gear / current speed.
I imagine there's some fortification, cooling (oil cooler, sprayers) in the box, but the sequential shifter is (mostly) outside the box and converts the double-H pattern gates into push-pull, but doesn't even have the facility to release the clutch, so upshifts are a load-cell interrupting the ignition and the downshifts have to be clutched and manually rev-matched by the driver ... hence the potential for extremely rapid wear in the hands of a novice driver.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:02 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

The 7Cup uses a true sequential gearbox, though.. not a sequential shifter on a standard gearbox.. (not like those we see from Oakley / etc.)

Quick Reply: Double 07