Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Heel & Toe w/ Hurley

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
To make sure he still has a solid pedal before he leaves the braking to the very last second. Many pro drivers tend to use this technique to ensure the brakes are good...
No I don't think so. If that was the case he'd pump the brake closer to the corner, not at the beginning of a straight. I do the same thing to ensure things are fine before threshold braking. But not like that!

Hopefully the OP will pipe up and answer this?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bed the pads in on the fly, perhaps......
Old 02-01-2011, 10:43 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts

I tap the brakes to re-seat the pads against the rotors and make sure there is a firm brake pedal before committing to the brakes. Floating rotors bang around when you hit the curbing and kick the pads back in the calipers sometimes. I give them a tap halfway down the straight so if there is a problem I have some time to figure out what to do before the braking zone. I also do this in "normal" cars to make sure the fluid hasn't boiled or if there are any other issues. If the fluid has a little air in it tapping it up can sometimes pump it up enough to get you to the end of a race. I have done this in 997 gt3 street cars, cayman s, and continental challenge 997's and the ecu doesn't cut unless you hold the brake longer than a few tenths.

Thanks guys for the comments
Old 02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911rox
To make sure he still has a solid pedal before he leaves the braking to the very last second. Many pro drivers tend to use this technique to ensure the brakes are good...
Originally Posted by coryf
I tap the brakes to re-seat the pads against the rotors and make sure there is a firm brake pedal before committing to the brakes. Floating rotors bang around when you hit the curbing and kick the pads back in the calipers sometimes. I give them a tap halfway down the straight so if there is a problem I have some time to figure out what to do before the braking zone. I also do this in "normal" cars to make sure the fluid hasn't boiled or if there are any other issues. If the fluid has a little air in it tapping it up can sometimes pump it up enough to get you to the end of a race. I have done this in 997 gt3 street cars, cayman s, and continental challenge 997's and the ecu doesn't cut unless you hold the brake longer than a few tenths.

Thanks guys for the comments
Okay that explains that Good vid, thanks. One of these days i need to try a closed wheel racer.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:23 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Cory, great vid and great explanation. Oh, and great footwork
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
am i right that with any regular non-cup ECU such a 'tap' will kill throttle?
With my 09 997S with PDK it's doesn't but it did on my 2007 997S. However I believe a quick tap for a micro-second will not kill it.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:37 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Anyone move from a base 911 to a GT3 and have problems with heel toe? The GT3 brake peddle sits alot higher relative to the gas peddle than in the base 911. Out on a public road I find it far more difficult to heel toe in the GT3. Haven't had it out the track yet. Is it an issue of just needing to let the brakes get some temperature in them on the circuit? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

i did notice the pedal difference from C2S to the GT3. I thought it was due to having ceramic brakes and never coming close to warming them on the street. Plus the 2010 GT3 throttle has a little lag in the fly by wire system, so "almost" have to double blip to match revs.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:23 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Anyone move from a base 911 to a GT3 and have problems with heel toe? The GT3 brake peddle sits alot higher relative to the gas peddle than in the base 911. Out on a public road I find it far more difficult to heel toe in the GT3. Haven't had it out the track yet. Is it an issue of just needing to let the brakes get some temperature in them on the circuit? Thanks.
When you're on the track really using the brakes it'll probably set up like you want. When I first started tracking I felt like I needed a lifter plate on the throttle. But when I got faster and used the brakes more I think I don't need the lifter plate.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:44 PM
mojom3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What he said.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:47 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

do you have PCCBs? could be the difference.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:48 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone explain the benefit of clutch out between downshifting multiple gears. I have an occasional habit of not clutching out between downshifts of more than one gear. Honestly cant tell a difference if I hold the clutch in until the last shift. Seems quicker, more efficient and less tough on the gearbox not to keep engaging gears but still keeping the revs up.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

When you're on the track really using the brakes it'll probably set up like you want. When I first started tracking I felt like I needed a lifter plate on the throttle. But when I got faster and used the brakes more I think I don't need the lifter plate.
Thanks - that's what I'm hoping is the case!

do you have PCCBs? could be the difference.
Don't have PCCBs. That's why I was surprised at the height of the brake pedal.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Myself and others with 997 GT3's have installed a second pedal on the throttle to bring it up a little. This helped as the brakes are so grippy, it as hard to find the throttle when using the roll the foot method.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:59 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Thanks - that's what I'm hoping is the case!

Don't have PCCBs. That's why I was surprised at the height of the brake pedal.

man. Does this mean you have issues, heel /toeing on the street but is ok on track? For, me the height is less of an issue than the travel. Is the travel similar to a regular 911/cayman?

when I double heel toe, I too don't lift off the clutch. I'm afraid that's an added complexity I'll have to master... Looks way cool when done properly.

Quick Reply: Heel & Toe w/ Hurley