Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who is getting a GT2RS ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:25 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've seen the gt2rs in the flesh a couple of times. seriously, it is no big deal to look at. yes, it's fast, but it doesn't stir the soul. for that type of money, you expect bespoke quality. cgt styles, or thereabouts. the asking price is too high for it to appreciate in value. i can't see it happening. the 3/rs is a tool you can use. the 2rs is so grey area. i'm not feelin' it.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:19 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That bit of CF looks nice enough. A pity it's not actually unique to the owner with the car serial number and their name f'risntance. Pretty shallow thinking from the marketing department at Porsche. And I'm not sure why Porsche persists with the elaborate materials and packaging for their Tschotskes -- at least include a "100% recycled materials" or some sincere effort to acknowledge the "conscientious and sustainable" message they're putting on their whole product line.

No matter what they put on a Web site, the half million dollars (gross income before taxes required in the US to write the check for the US$260K +/- sticker ... and paying the sales tax with 50% income-taxed money ... always a joy ...) is a helluva tariff for any Web site, a night in a beach resort hotel bed, a shuttle bus ride to an abandoned air strip and getting thrown around in a Turbo for autocross laps around orange cones ... what does that day cost if considered -- as they propose it -- the new car experience of the GT2 RS ... US$50K? That's silly money, to put it nicely.

While I like the idea of a wide open air strip to practice car control, abandoned air strips are also covered in grit and gravel with bumpy surface changes and no place to take a new car without at least a little bit of 3M on the nose and wheel arches. Those carbon fibre hoods and fenders will have a few blemishes after even a couple of "gentlemanly" laps on the tarmac. I imagine they've got a nice long speed strip for their pro drivers to take dry-mouthed passengers up to 150 mph or whatever. According to Google maps, the full stretch of those runways is 1.5 and 2.0 miles long with run-off, so you could get yourself to lift-off speeds with a running start and curved approach onto the main runway ... hit one end at 50 mph in 2nd and you could be approaching 200 at the other ... I imagine the PCCBs would be good for slowing back down to 50 before the run-off ... at least once ... that could make for some spectacular "bravery."

How does one sell a quarter million dollar "most powerful ever" Porsche and end up at an autocross instead of Laguna Seca or Sears Point? What were they thinking?
So..help educate me. How is Palm Beach International Raceway an abandoned airstrip? Or are you talking about the West Coast location? Never mind. I just found out that El Toro is the West Coast location.

Last edited by BBTurbo; 01-08-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:46 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Palm Beach International Raceway is not an abandoned airstrip.

El Toro on the West Coast was an abandoned airstrip.
It's where they filmed the Panamera Commercial.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:11 PM
A430v
Racer

Customers should be receiving their GT2 RS pre-delivery kits per a post on Teamspeed!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:35 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Default Pics of the GT2RS owners kit

Here are some pics of the kit. Sorry for the poor quality, I was too lazy to pull out my DSLR.

Letter basically invites me to two nights stay at the Breakers in Palm Beach, FLA. A day at the track with Porsche Instructors and a special gift from the event. The letter also provides a PIN number for access to an owners microsite.

Package also includes the hardcover book and a CF Plaque that mounts to a rubber tire tread base.

I haven't logged into the website yet.
Attached Images    
Old 01-08-2011, 11:51 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice, so what's the pin
Old 01-09-2011, 12:02 AM
beowulf
Instructor

Congrats to the GT2RS owners here. Regarding El Toro, I've done several AX there and my hope is that Porsche will set up an exemplary hospitality area and design a good course. All is not lost b/c it's not at a track; plus no walls to hit.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
To be fair hasn't Ferrari been selling much more expensive stuff for years and not doing anything for customers except making them wait and feel fortunate for the privilege?
yep that is true.

a tiny piece of carbon fiber and rubber and a little promo book is funny. to me that is not special...my left leg has more carbon and titaium...lol
Old 01-09-2011, 01:09 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
yep that is true.

a tiny piece of carbon fiber and rubber and a little promo book is funny. to me that is not special...my left leg has more carbon and titaium...lol
Old 01-09-2011, 02:42 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJones
Who is getting one?
Who is going to the launch?
Who got there plaque?

An easy direct question...
Me...
Me...
Not yet!

Direct answer
Old 01-09-2011, 03:19 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
... How does one sell a quarter million dollar "most powerful ever" Porsche and end up at an autocross instead of Laguna Seca or Sears Point? What were they thinking?
Indeed! And the demo should be in PCNA demo cars, not customer cars. I am waiting to hear their argument re flogging a 0-mile car in such event, given their restrictive break-in guidelines.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:47 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
Indeed! And the demo should be in PCNA demo cars, not customer cars. I am waiting to hear their argument re flogging a 0-mile car in such event, given their restrictive break-in guidelines.
The owner won't be flogging their own car. It will be there for some car control exercises and less than 100% laps. The Hot Laps will be done in Porsche's cars with the Legends drivers. There will also be a sampling of other Porsches there to drive such as Panamera, Carrerra S and Turbo S.

On the website it even states that in the unlikely event that your car does not make it to the event, Porsche will provide a substitute vehicle.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Hyundai has concierge service for their whatitsname new luxury car, so..... ;-)

Quick Reply: Who is getting a GT2RS ?