Who is getting a GT2RS ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
No matter how inexperienced you are there won't be too many guys beating your lap times if you've got some BIG OO's, pedal thru the corners pretty well, romp on the gas in the straights and keep the electronic aids engaged!!!
Every great strength is an equally great weakness. I think you've hit that strength and weakness -- what's the point of the GT2 RS? Any half-way decent amateur can point and squirt their way round with unbeatable lap times. Just don't be too insane through the turns and let the electronics fill in the skills the driver lacks. What's the point?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:27 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Who is getting one?
Who is going to the launch?
Who got there plaque?

An easy direct question...
Old 01-07-2011, 11:50 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJones
Who is getting one?
Who got there plaque?

Gotta love the instant off topic veering, we are a chatty bunch.

Package just arrived yesterday with the piece of tire tread and rectangle of carbon. No sure I would call that a "plaque". The book was nice but I already had that months ago thanks to my (banned) uber salesman Chris Sanner.

I hate to keep being the skunk at the garden party, but given the build up, that was a bit underwhelming?

Owners micro-site is well done though?

See you at El Toro

Who else will out themselves??? No reason not to?
Attached Images   
Old 01-07-2011, 12:09 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Pete thanks for the password for the micro-site. I owe you one.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Tom B
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patiently waiting in Maryland .......... White, with black wheels, not much information available from my dealer, or really from anywhere.

Tom
Old 01-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

That bit of CF looks nice enough. A pity it's not actually unique to the owner with the car serial number and their name f'risntance. Pretty shallow thinking from the marketing department at Porsche. And I'm not sure why Porsche persists with the elaborate materials and packaging for their Tschotskes -- at least include a "100% recycled materials" or some sincere effort to acknowledge the "conscientious and sustainable" message they're putting on their whole product line.

No matter what they put on a Web site, the half million dollars (gross income before taxes required in the US to write the check for the US$260K +/- sticker ... and paying the sales tax with 50% income-taxed money ... always a joy ...) is a helluva tariff for any Web site, a night in a beach resort hotel bed, a shuttle bus ride to an abandoned air strip and getting thrown around in a Turbo for autocross laps around orange cones ... what does that day cost if considered -- as they propose it -- the new car experience of the GT2 RS ... US$50K? That's silly money, to put it nicely.

While I like the idea of a wide open air strip to practice car control, abandoned air strips are also covered in grit and gravel with bumpy surface changes and no place to take a new car without at least a little bit of 3M on the nose and wheel arches. Those carbon fibre hoods and fenders will have a few blemishes after even a couple of "gentlemanly" laps on the tarmac. I imagine they've got a nice long speed strip for their pro drivers to take dry-mouthed passengers up to 150 mph or whatever. According to Google maps, the full stretch of those runways is 1.5 and 2.0 miles long with run-off, so you could get yourself to lift-off speeds with a running start and curved approach onto the main runway ... hit one end at 50 mph in 2nd and you could be approaching 200 at the other ... I imagine the PCCBs would be good for slowing back down to 50 before the run-off ... at least once ... that could make for some spectacular "bravery."

How does one sell a quarter million dollar "most powerful ever" Porsche and end up at an autocross instead of Laguna Seca or Sears Point? What were they thinking?
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

I have to laugh at EVO’s comments about the GT2 RS not being as satisfying to drive as the GT3 RS.

This was a common magazine complaint against the 996 and 997 variants of the GT2. Magazine tests of the GT2 always came with the caveat that they were not as satisfying to drive as GT3s because they were basically modified Turbos which were not as track oriented as the GT3s. They always seemed to make the comment that they wished the GT2 was more like the GT3. Now, the new GT2 RS is basically a GT3 RS with a high horsepower TT engine shoehorned into the engine bay and they still make the same comments.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,533 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
I have to laugh at EVO’s comments about the GT2 RS not being as satisfying to drive as the GT3 RS.

This was a common magazine complaint against the 996 and 997 variants of the GT2. Magazine tests of the GT2 always came with the caveat that they were not as satisfying to drive as GT3s because they were basically modified Turbos which were not as track oriented as the GT3s. They always seemed to make the comment that they wished the GT2 was more like the GT3. Now, the new GT2 RS is basically a GT3 RS with a high horsepower TT engine shoehorned into the engine bay and they still make the same comments.
+1
Old 01-07-2011, 03:10 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

How does one sell a quarter million dollar "most powerful ever" Porsche and end up at an autocross instead of Laguna Seca or Sears Point? What were they thinking?

+1
Old 01-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera

This is a simple "don't bight the hand that feeds" ... if Porsche uses that gobbledygook to position the two cars, then the magazines have to follow the line. From a marketing perspective, it has to "read" to the buyer -- the GT3 RS buyer wants the best and wants "cred" so they need to read those words (in the mind of a marketing person) and the GT2 RS is simply paying a ****load of money and wants to hear they've got the big dog maximum compensation ride. If you imagine the reverse positioning: "GT2 RS whips GT3 RS like its bitch" Porsche would continue to sell the couple of hundred GT RS cars to those cashed up buyers, but would undermine the perceived value to the GT3 RS buyer (at least the weak-minded buyer that needs the media to set those thoughts in their head.) Marketing types have few truly creative, original thoughts in their heads to ever really inspire their market. They have really only price, package and position. You can see the positioning of their model line-up and its entirely conventional. You can see the price and, while conventional, they've clearly (once again, as with the 964) slipped out of their categories (too high) and will have to reset those price curves at lower points. Expect the 991 to be remarkably discounted against the 997 run-out models but with similar features and functionality at about the same performance levels. And the final P-word for Porsche marketing is packaging. Note the garish ham-fisted attempt at differentiation by packaging the RS in bright green and yellow, then with bright stickers and an "arrest me" wing. These attempts recur with seasonal predictability. Porsche seems set to move into a season of "dull as dishwater" with hybrid models and larger cabins with more creature comforts. So be it. We wait. At least we have these final GT3 and GT2 variants as the parting gesture from no doubt already frustrated performance engineers over at Porsche AG; themselves having to bide their time until the next season. No auto maker has the audacity to position their vehicles on their own merits. Certainly not Porsche.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,786 Likes on 931 Posts

That bit of CF looks nice enough. A pity it's not actually unique to the owner with the car serial number and their name f'risntance. Pretty shallow thinking from the marketing department at Porsche. And I'm not sure why Porsche persists with the elaborate materials and packaging for their Tschotskes -- at least include a "100% recycled materials" or some sincere effort to acknowledge the "conscientious and sustainable" message they're putting on their whole product line.

No matter what they put on a Web site, the half million dollars (gross income before taxes required in the US to write the check for the US$260K +/- sticker ... and paying the sales tax with 50% income-taxed money ... always a joy ...) is a helluva tariff for any Web site, a night in a beach resort hotel bed, a shuttle bus ride to an abandoned air strip and getting thrown around in a Turbo for autocross laps around orange cones ... what does that day cost if considered -- as they propose it -- the new car experience of the GT2 RS ... US$50K? That's silly money, to put it nicely.

While I like the idea of a wide open air strip to practice car control, abandoned air strips are also covered in grit and gravel with bumpy surface changes and no place to take a new car without at least a little bit of 3M on the nose and wheel arches. Those carbon fibre hoods and fenders will have a few blemishes after even a couple of "gentlemanly" laps on the tarmac. I imagine they've got a nice long speed strip for their pro drivers to take dry-mouthed passengers up to 150 mph or whatever. According to Google maps, the full stretch of those runways is 1.5 and 2.0 miles long with run-off, so you could get yourself to lift-off speeds with a running start and curved approach onto the main runway ... hit one end at 50 mph in 2nd and you could be approaching 200 at the other ... I imagine the PCCBs would be good for slowing back down to 50 before the run-off ... at least once ... that could make for some spectacular "bravery."

To be fair hasn't Ferrari been selling much more expensive stuff for years and not doing anything for customers except making them wait and feel fortunate for the privilege?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,786 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Who is getting one?
Who got there plaque?

MJ: Maybe low response is an indication that a large percentage are going straight to bubble wrap status; you know this site is not kind to bubble blowers....
Old 01-07-2011, 05:30 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Hasn't anyone told you…… El Toro has been completely destroyed.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche Cars Canada hosted a day for clients at Mosport in 2009 that I attended. Got the chance to drive pretty much the entire lineup with the exception of the GT cars in (Cayenne off-road) and around (big track as well as an auto-x setup) Mosport.

I cannot see how Porsche would be able to keep new owners of GT2's out of the hedges with a similar format. While I loved the day, there were many clients intimidated by the track portion. People not comfortable around a racetrack probably wouldn't enjoy being pushed to drive quickly in their new car. I also can't begin to imagine the liability in the USA if someone crashed their new car.

I know rennlist in general hates on auto-x, but it's actually a great way to learn about your car in a safe, controlled environment. The biggest negative about auto-x is the waiting around time; if Porsche runs the event well, they can minimize the downtime and the new owners can have a great day with their amazing cars.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,533 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Porsche Cars Canada hosted a day for clients at Mosport in 2009 that I attended. Got the chance to drive pretty much the entire lineup with the exception of the GT cars in (Cayenne off-road) and around (big track as well as an auto-x setup) Mosport.

I cannot see how Porsche would be able to keep new owners of GT2's out of the hedges with a similar format. While I loved the day, there were many clients intimidated by the track portion. People not comfortable around a racetrack probably wouldn't enjoy being pushed to drive quickly in their new car. I also can't begin to imagine the liability in the USA if someone crashed their new car.

I know rennlist in general hates on auto-x, but it's actually a great way to learn about your car in a safe, controlled environment. The biggest negative about auto-x is the waiting around time; if Porsche runs the event well, they can minimize the downtime and the new owners can have a great day with their amazing cars.
there is a distinct possibility of such crashes; at the MPSS launch in Dubai, we had a track virgin stack a C2S into the wall at "relatively" slow speeds (PSM was apparently off) ... U shudder to think what a GT2RS track newbie could do!!!

Quick Reply: Who is getting a GT2RS ?