GT3 (x)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:40 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
porsche was testing the PDK in the GT2RS prototype last year, I think with enough reason they'd plop it into a gt3
Actually that was two years ago but you're right they had already tested the PDK gearbox in the GT2RS prototypes (30,000Km at THE Ring iirc).
Old 11-26-2010, 09:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

porsche was testing the PDK in the GT2RS prototype last year, I think with enough reason they'd plop it into a gt3
I sure hope so...my resons are sort of selfish based on my physical limit but I really want a Porshe GT car with PDK.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:21 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mdrums
I sure hope so...my resons are sort of selfish based on my physical limit but I really want a Porshe GT car with PDK.
Like I said, two years ago Porsche tested PDK in the GT2RS. Idk what engine they were using but I believe it would have to have been the Mezger. I too am looking forward to PDK in a GT P-car.

I believe that, due to the changes required to mate the PDK gearbox to the Mezger, once they go the PDK route, it'll be, unfortunately, the end of the manual. Sort of the same way Ferrari has done.

Or is it the end of the Mezger anyway?
Old 11-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

If this car comes in at 150 lbs less than the 997.2 rs and has close to 500 hp then it should be amazing. I think Porsche will only trim about 50 lbs and give us 485 hp. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
If this car comes in at 150 lbs less than the 997.2 rs and has close to 500 hp then it should be amazing. I think Porsche will only trim about 50 lbs and give us 485 hp. I hope I'm wrong.
Hey, leave the pessimism to me, alright? : )

The only facts we have to work with are the 997.2 GT2 RS in terms of weight saving advances relative to the 997.1 GT2 and the parts updated since the 3.8 RS. These comparisons likely hint at the changes and weight for this "4.0 RS."

With the precedent of the GT2 RS horsepower and exotic materials (finally!) I look forward to the 4.0 RS being a typically conservative "Porsche" 500 horse without losing any of the red-line or torque curve of the 3.8 RS.

While I think 100 Kg is a realistic target, even if the factory can't take the weight off, that's the one thing the owner can do. Porsche surely counts all the people that order the fancy headlights instead of the lightweight headlights and those order book statistics speak louder than the "purists."
Old 11-27-2010, 06:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Actually; It does not need to have more HP or PDK.

I could see all the GT2RS lightweight stuff and more;
STD:
Xenon, but without idiotic sprayers and reservoir
CF fenders, roof, hood, doors, rear engine cover, bumper covers, spoiler uprights, mirrors, etc.
Std radio delete (Could be opted back in)
Std PCCB (Not sure if that is a good thing, but adds to lightness)
Std full titanium exhaust
Std some suspension improvements, like toe links and some other rubber replaced with metal
Std superlight wheels, AKA BBS wheels
Std Cup front lip
Std 90L tank instead of 60L
Std interior every upgrade that does not add weight
Old 11-27-2010, 07:51 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,058 Likes on 578 Posts

it's for sure not going to have the 90 L tank if they're trying to trim weight...

lets face it the biggest place they can lose weight on the car is all the retarded carpeting from the interior...that's one of the reasons why the 430 scud is so much lighter than the 430 coupe- no frilly leather, piping, etc etc
Old 11-27-2010, 08:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

OK. My bad. No 90l fuel tank even though it only add weight when you fill it and no more stupid carpet.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:23 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lets face it the biggest place they can lose weight on the car is all the retarded carpeting from the interior...that's one of the reasons why the 430 scud is so much lighter than the 430 coupe- no frilly leather, piping, etc etc
I LOVE the Scud interior. And, unfortunately, cannot imagine Porsche doing anything so lovely.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:03 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

There are plenty of places they can make it lose weight. Three questions:

1) What do the regulations/laws allow them to do?
2) How much do they want/are willing to charge?
3) How far do they want to go?

IIRC with the 993 RS they even took out the sunvisors. The 996 GT3RS had the bonnet emblem replaced with a sticker.

Again there are plenty of places they can make it lose weight, especially on the inside.

I'd like to see lighter wheels, aluminum & drilled bumper beams, CF bodywork (as much as possible-including headlight assembly), lightweight headlights, titanium used generously and as far as the interior, think minimalist alá 993 RS-no carpets, no middle console, no leather, no sunvisors, no navigation, door panels like the 993RS, manual windows, no sound deadening, no ******* cup holders, etc...

Oh yeah a "real" locking diff, lightweight clutch, CF air intake, lighter brakes, lightweight exhaust, etc...

Last edited by MJSpeed; 11-28-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:52 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I'd like to see lighter wheels, aluminum & drilled bumper beams, CF bodywork (as much as possible-including headlight assembly), titanium used generously and as far as the interior think minimalist alá 993 RS-no carpets, no middle console, no leather, no sunvisors, no navigation, door panels like the 993RS, manual windows, no sound deadening, etc...
Fantasy come true for sure. You did forget upgraded LSD internals, upgraded brakes, coolant fitting redesign.

However I fear we get another Cayman "R" /Speedster/GTS. Porsche is loving these immensely profitable parts bin exercises. I am losing respect and want to see some something other than decade old engineering.

Sorry, but true.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

many ppl talk of wt reduction. you know WE can do it ourselves and if 200 RS's gets done this way, PAG will listen.

if i ran PAG, i would give you the middle finger and continue do what the have done. why? b/c ppl talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

RSR run CF hood, buy that and put on RS.
the bumper bar is useless. if you hit something over 10mph, the bar does nothing, i hit plenty of things. i know. and on my race car, i have no bar either.

you really dont need ANY carpet in the car. i drove two of mine like that on the street. it's fine.

some ppl wants to DD these cars. fine. you dont need radio or AC to DD. really. i used to drive a full on SM to work in suit and tie. and even had no fan for engine cooling. when stuck on bay bridge, just use the horn and do something crazy to get moving and cool it down.

sunvisor? what for. take them out.

rear plexi isn't that $$$. i bought a new cup lexan rear for $500. put that on.

replace cat with open pipe, put them back on for smog. it's not loud.

before you know it, it's 100 lbs or so off.

sure , this is insane. but if all the RS on this site did it. PAG will start to see the light. as of now, i think PAG should continue to put 20 speakers on all the GTx cars and add butt warmer and such.

plenty RS out there adds all sort of stuff, yet we complain about wt gain?

PAG, you listening?
Old 11-28-2010, 09:41 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

^ I've done plenty of those things and I agree we're the minority.

However it works for Ferrari and no way are their drovers more hardcore/track oriented than Porsche drovers.

I don't care how many people order it with an espresso machine, I just want the factory to give us track guys the kind of car that the RS legend was built on. After all they have given everyone else their own model.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

^ i get you.
but i am guessing b/c ferrari production is much lower, and margin higher, so they are willing to do those things in scuds, strads, etc.

CGT was getting in the right direction, albeit at co$t.
we can only hope that the 2RS and .2RSLE really step up in that dept.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:55 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mooty
^ i get you.
but i am guessing b/c ferrari production is much lower, and margin higher, so they are willing to do those things in scuds, strads, etc.

CGT was getting in the right direction, albeit at co$t.
we can only hope that the 2RS and .2RSLE really step up in that dept.
Point well taken.

Since this one is supposedly a "limited edition", the economics of low production/higher margin numbers may work.

After all they essentially already have all/most the parts needed to pull this off. Besides, based on what we're asking, they don't need a lot of parts. Afterall we're asking for less things to be in it.

Message to Porsche:

Make it street legal; just barely! 2900lbs or lower and 4.0L with at least 500bhp.

Quick Reply: GT3 (x)