Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:08 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
I like.

That looks like a weak Aston clay model reject.
That looks like a helluva classy Camaro.

So far, I like the faux Fiorano look. I just hope that Porsche doesn't become preoccupied with the "practicality" nonsense that turned the Panamera into a bulbous blimp.

Of course, the ideal scenario is simply that the two-door was the immaculate origin of the four-door or five-door hatch design, not an ungainly misbegotten beige compromise that comes from a hideous three-way between marketing morons, bean counters and parts bin engineering.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:17 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,058 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
audi
vw
honda
acura
no joke my 2010 gti is the best car per dollar I've ever owned
Old 12-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
no joke my 2010 gti is the best car per dollar I've ever owned
I did have a 2008 Subaru Impreza hatch back. Not a WRX or anything. We put 65K miles on that car in 30 months. We had to give it a brake-job at 24k miles. Another was about to come up. New struts, tranny fluid. It was slamming down to first from second when you were coming to a stop. Needed a lot of stuff done so we just got rid of it.

Since the car was on the books of my consultancy I got rid of it. Still owed $12K. It was only worth $8K tops.

We bought that car thinking we were going to have to drive in the snow in Reno then I get transferred to Bakersfield.

Just had to write that one off. No more subys
Old 12-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I did have a 2008 Subaru Impreza hatch back. Not a WRX or anything. We put 65K miles on that car in 30 months. We had to give it a brake-job at 24k miles. Another was about to come up. New struts, tranny fluid. It was slamming down to first from second when you were coming to a stop. Needed a lot of stuff done so we just got rid of it.

Since the car was on the books of my consultancy I got rid of it. Still owed $12K. It was only worth $8K tops.

We bought that car thinking we were going to have to drive in the snow in Reno then I get transferred to Bakersfield.

Just had to write that one off. No more subys
Presumably there was a lot more going wrong with the Soob than just struts and brakes at 65K miles -- it's a famously reliable high-miler brand, so I'm surprised to hear of one giving the owner grief. Then again, 65K miles in well under three years is a lot of driving, so I'm guessing it wasn't a lemon, it just had a deficit of deferred maintenance. Things like rough shifting would be electronically controlled, so it's probably a sensor and not a big deal (abrupt shifting in older, fully hydraulic transmissions could spell expensive repairs, but in modern boxes, more likely a failed component ... hundreds of dollars rather than thousands.)

And retaining 50% of its value at 65K miles, well, few cars can offer that kind of price performance at the best of times, let alone in the depths of a recession.

I guess I show also note that I'm not a Subaru apologist, just an advocate, though I've never owned one -- they just don't happen to make one that I could use to any particular purpose -- I'm surrounded by the things where I live -- all the locals swear by the things. And swear at me for driving big diesel SUV and a pretentious Porsche ... : )
Old 12-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems in Reno that one out of two cars is a Subaru.

Seriously thinking about doing the ZipCar thing. But that would make more sense when we get into the city. Currently we have a friend living with us and we use his 98 Civic 2 door EX.

Right now all my financial are in Stasis. Might have to start filing quarterly and end up owing Uncle Sam big time come April 15th.

And now ultimately trying to secure Venture Capital isn't easy either. If anyone could help me with seed-money and wouldn't mind signing an NDA...

Quick Reply: GT3 (x)